OT: Golf Outing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Golf Outing

Back from my golf outing yesterday. We shot -5 (7 birdies, 2 bogies), which is pretty damn good if you consider we were +1 through 10 holes.

While we didn't place (-11 won, followed by -9 and -, we did pretty well for our first time out.

The best news was that I won a "basket of cheer" during the raffle. There had to be a few hundred dollars worth of wine and liquor in that basket. Grey Goose, Absolut, So. Co., Bailey's, Bacardi's, Godiva, half a dozen various wines, Jack, some chocolates and candies, etc. Very nice parting gift.

So who's up for playing? (I know, I ask a lot, but just getting updates on people's schedules.)

Jukin, you'll have to come out at least once and show us what you've got.

what is it with you and raffles??? congrats!
    http://www.phansforhope.org

Comment

I also won a gift basket of dips and relishes.

Basically most of this stuff is going to our 4th of July party, but it was nice to win.

Comment

I'll play if you bring the basket o' booze.

Comment

I would love to play, but live downtown Philly...would have to meet you somewhere...
          Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

only on really cheap courses, I'm kinda un-employeed over the summer.

Disclaimer: I'm very inconsistent because I don't get to play that often. (translation: I usually suck it up pretty bad).
            Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Scream, i'm always up for a round. What's your availability like on Friday afternoons through the summer?

Just so you know, when i was out in Phx. last week i shot an 88 on the Adobe course at the Arizona Biltmore. Never mind that my other two rounds were 105 and 97, let's focus on that 88.

Comment

I hit a 46 on the front nine at Pitman before the wind kicked in.

I hit the ball high, so the wind pretty much blew my shots back at me.

Leif, you going to be back in the area all summer, or are you inviting us out to cheap courses on the islands?

Comment

I've been in Delran since May 14, I will be here until the end of August
                  Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Re: OT: Golf Outing

Originally posted by SCREAM
                    Back from my golf outing yesterday. We shot -5 (7 birdies, 2 bogies), which is pretty damn good if you consider we were +1 through 10 holes.

While we didn't place (-11 won, followed by -9 and -, we did pretty well for our first time out.

Scream

What was the format...a 4 man scramble? If so, can you play with any four guys or do the organizers try to control things through matching handicaps in order to prevent "loaded" teams from dominating the field?

Congrats on the raffle basket ! I play with a guy who's luck at winning golf raffles is uncanny, which is unfair because he's also a scratch golfer who usually walks away with a healthy share of the skins money.

In NY State, amatuers can't win money so the organizers put up some nice prizes in golf equipment, which is apparently legal. Is that the case in Jersey as well?

Comment

Well, if you guys all suck, I'd definitely travel into Jersey for a round sometime as long as it is accessible from a NJ Transit line coming out of the Big City.

I played for the first time in 5 years a couple of weeks ago and realized how much I missed playing. Despite the looooong layoff, I managed a 110, which I thought was respectable.

Comment

I bought a brand new set of King Cobra irons and then met this girl and got married and haven't played since.

I suck.
                        Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                        Playoff Appearances:
                        NFC Title Games:
                        Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

4 man scramble. I am playing in a bunch of them, but all of them had different rules. Very seldom do we play with pros. My uncle in PA plays with a guy on the Nationwide and wins a bunch. A group I played against on Wednesday played with a guy on the NIKE. But mostly it's just a bunch of people who live around the area supporting a cause. There's nothing stopping Tiger Woods from playing, if that's your quesiton. During this tournament, we had to use three drives from each player.

Honestly, I don't think anybody really cares about winning during these tournaments. I mean, it's nice, but it's even more fun to just go out and play with a group of friends.

There were prizes for the winners (but nothing big). Of course they hold 50/50s for putting contests and such at $5/chance. I think the winners took home some golf balls or something. (It wasn't that bad of a prize, I just forget.) Oftentimes they split things up into categories: Men's ... Women's ... Mixed ... Over 55 ... Etc.

The one I'm playing at next Saturday will have only one division and 14 kegs throughout the course. This is the fun tournament to play at. Lots of opportunities to throw $5 down for closest to the pin or putting or long drive. You can also use anybody's drives, so it's one big free-for-all, with lots of drinking.

NYC ... I'm sure we could work something out over the summer and find a relatively central place for everyone to play. BigPhilly ... don't let the lack of playing stop you from playing!

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAM

Honestly, I don't think anybody really cares about winning during these tournaments. I mean, it's nice, but it's even more fun to just go out and play with a group of friends.

The one I'm playing at next Saturday will have only one division and 14 kegs throughout the course. This is the fun tournament to play at. Lots of opportunities to throw $5 down for closest to the pin or putting or long drive. You can also use anybody's drives, so it's one big free-for-all, with lots of drinking.
                            That sounds like my kind of tournament!

Used to play in a lot of scrambles with the same 3 guys...2 had consistently strong games and then yours truly and the 4th guy were consistently inconsistent. I actually enjoyed the small prizes/low-key outings more than the bigger prize tournaments, even though we won an occasional biggie. Why? More beer, more laughs, more good-natured ball breaking between teams, and our 2 low handicap guys weren't worrying so much about other teams bending the team composition rules.

Have a great time on Saturday!

Comment

If I can ever get my back to function,,, well ,,, like a back,, I might be up for a round or 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X