• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deion Branch - no way the Pats pull an Andy Reid

and let him go - is there?

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/p ... o_be_pass/

No way he walks. Situation is just like Seymour:

"A year ago, defensive lineman Richard Seymour also skipped the mandatory minicamp, as he and the team talked about a new deal. Eventually, Seymour held out of training camp before receiving a bump in pay for the 2005 season, and a $30 million extension that he signed in April."

Comment

I also can't him walking away or them letting him... any idea if he is one of these guys that doesn't like TC?

Comment

Not a clue, MD. I couldn't find any reports that suggested he was. I didn't dig too deep, but I don't think he's ever tried to renegotiate his current deal.

Comment

He actually has some foundation to his argument. He has definitely outperformed his contract, the team has won 2 SBs while he's been there and he's the # 1 WR. He got a $1MM SB when he signed in '02 and he's due to make $1MM in salary this year. With the inflated salaries for the WR market - he has room to gripe IMO.

Comment

I couldn't find anything either, so i'm guessing this is legit.

I know he makes and made very little, in compartitive terms, but damn I just hate the idea that if you don't like your deal you just hold out.

Just sorta goes against my grain.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
              I couldn't find anything either, so i'm guessing this is legit.

I know he makes and made very little, in compartitive terms, but damn I just hate the idea that if you don't like your deal you just hold out.

Just sorta goes against my grain.
              Except what is commonplace now has not transpired with Branch. People who have proven their worth normally get an extension before the final year of their rookie contracts in the league. Since there are a ton of examples of this and since he is jeopardizing his financial future in the league by not having an extension (i.e. 2nd signing bonus) going into year 5 of experience, he should go about it this way. I know it doesn't sit well in philosophical terms of honoring a contract but I think he has a legit gripe. I bet Patriot fans all over agree.

Comment

I'm not sure what to think of players still under their rookie contract complaining. Yes, they signed a contract, but they're pinned to that contract value by circumstances largely beyond their control (draft order) If I was, say, a third-year player and had become a full-fledged star and among the top at my position, it would be pretty hard to stomach knowing that I'd have to wait three more seasons before getting the payday my peers are getting. Deion Branch, for example, is more than twice the receiver Antwaan Randle-El is, has played a year longer, and will make 1/4th as much. Wouldn't that grate on you?

Comment

Originally posted by IMK
                  I'm not sure what to think of players still under their rookie contract complaining. Yes, they signed a contract, but they're pinned to that contract value by circumstances largely beyond their control (draft order) If I was, say, a third-year player and had become a full-fledged star and among the top at my position, it would be pretty hard to stomach knowing that I'd have to wait three more seasons before getting the payday my peers are getting. Deion Branch, for example, is more than twice the receiver Antwaan Randle-El is, has played a year longer, and will make 1/4th as much. Wouldn't that grate on you?
                  And this is very similar to Brian Westbrook's situation. He played by the rules and got real close to getting screwed. The same can be said with Javon Walker. Many rookies get the shaft IMO with the current system. Of course if you go real early you hit the lottery! There has got to be a better way.
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I think this gets resolved pretty painlessly. Branch is young and talented. The Pats have plenty of cap space. You'd think they'd want to lock him up. And I think they do.

That is one thing I love about the Eagles FO. I'd bet that a guy like Branch would already be locked up for the next 7 years.

That's not a criticism of the Pats FO. Obviously, I'm not looking to criticize them. They'll get it done.

Comment

If the Pats pull an "Andy Reid", it will be more like pulling a "Lawyer Milloy" which they've already done. And that was still in a SB winning year, even though game one against Lawyer's new squad was a 31-0 disaster.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I agree these guys don't have much recourse after signing their rookie contracts.

But as Steve called it -- it still presents "philosophical " problems for me.

And Yes, if I was one of them I would go about it probably the same way in the last year of my contract. Bu tI also feel a lot less sympathy for the guys that do it on their 2nd and 3rd contracts.

Comment

In this day & age of ridiculous contracts that guys like Wayne,Randle-El,etc have gotten,Branch is grossly underpaid and has a legitimate beef.
                          That FO in New England is too solid to let him walk but IMO it would sense to all concerned parties to get a 5yr extension done NOW.If Branch were to hit the open market next year the Pats wouldn't stand a chance.Just business as usual in the NFL.
                          Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Originally posted by j-bird
                            In this day & age of ridiculous contracts that guys like Wayne,Randle-El,etc have gotten,Branch is grossly underpaid and has a legitimate beef.
                            That FO in New England is too solid to let him walk but IMO it would sense to all concerned parties to get a 5yr extension done NOW.If Branch were to hit the open market next year the Pats wouldn't stand a chance.Just business as usual in the NFL.
                            Speaking of AR, do ya think Andy getting Andrews signed with THREE years left on a contract might have Branch's agent drooling? Good timing. Now let him go and let us pick him up for the final piece to the puzzle. OR, gut Andy to make a trade so the Pats will be off the hook........just like we did with Welborne.
                            Pedro

Comment

Working...
                            X