Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sean Taylor-- Talent worth the headaches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sean Taylor-- Talent worth the headaches?

I know he is very very talented, but does anybody else think he will just self destruct before his career is over?

And sadly,,,,,,,,, hopes so?
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Redskins' Taylor still has an attitude

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) - Sean Taylor was defensive, antagonistic, engaged in a bit revisionist history and twice displayed his familiar shrug-and-smirk when confronted with a question he didn't like.

Some things never change. Even though Taylor's legal problems have been resolved, and even though coach Joe Gibbs sat him down for a talk aimed a producing a "fresh start," the Washington Redskins safety was his old self when confronted by a gaggle of reporters Friday after the first practice of a three-day minicamp.
    For starters, there was the assault case that hung over Taylor's head for a year, through seven trial postponements. Taylor ended the saga earlier this month when pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors, avoiding any jail time that could have essentially ended his career.

"I think in my case, in my scenario, I think it was the best way to just put it away and let me focus on football these three days," Taylor said. "So you don't have to ask me, 'Why did you miss camp again?' when I show up for training camp, (and) butcher me."

Taylor's relationship with both the Redskins and the media has been rocky since he was drafted No. 5 overall three years.

A partial list of his transgressions includes a $25,000 fine for skipping a mandatory rookie symposium, a drunken driving charge - eventually dismissed - that got him benched for one game, and seven fines for late hits and other on-field infractions, including $17,000 for spitting at another player during a playoff game. Then came the no contest plea, which could still lead to a fine or suspension from the NFL.

After all that, Gibbs made it clear that a trouble-free year from Taylor is near the top of the coach's wish list.

"He's had a lot of personal issues there," Gibbs said. "We've had a good talk, and I think he understands that. I think certainly he's been through a lot. I think he's learned a lot. Our feeling is he realizes some of the positions he's put himself in. I think he's ready for a fresh start."

Taylor gets fresh starts because he is immensely talented, with all the tool of a Pro Bowl player who could rule his position for years to come. The Redskins have punished him - he was forced to work with the second-team unit Friday after missing a large chunk of the voluntary spring workouts - but the message doesn't always seem to get through.

"As long as you're here from the end of July to January, or whenever the season ends, that's all your team really cares about," Taylor said.

Gibbs couldn't disagree more.

"I think he can be a dominating player," Gibbs said. "He's behind, because of the stuff he's missed. That's tough for us and tough for him."

Last year, Taylor defiantly skipped offseason workouts and wouldn't return Gibbs' calls, saying his offseason time was his own. He changed his story Friday, saying he would have been an offseason participant last year if it were not for "some complications," which he did not explain. He said he decided to attend some of the offseason work this year for the sake of team chemistry.

"Everybody's entitled to their own opinion as far as offseason goes," said Taylor, who also recently became a father.

Teammates and coaches regularly point out that, behind closed doors, Taylor is personable, smart and dedicated to his sport. The Redskins are hoping this is the year he becomes a good citizen when everybody else is watching.

"Hopefully," Gibbs said, "from here, on the road smoothes out."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5655 ... 3162&ATT=5

Hard to ignore the talent, no doubt. You hope that eventually a guy like him matures and grows up. TO didn't, so who the hell knows.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Hey, maybe the guy is a hell of a teammate. As for his legal troubles, if somebody stole my car I'd be pissed off too! That whole fisaco was pretty screwed up. Usually guys like this finally drive their coach or organization nuts and he gets the boot. Many of them finally grow up and straighton up with a new club. Hopefully he'll be a huge distraction for the SKINS until that happens!! :P
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I don't know Fresh I see him as a very different player than TO. TO has a need for the spotlight that drives him to do things to alienate his team but he's never (to the best of my knowledge) had a problem with the law. Taylor is the polar opposite. Equally talented and better in the locker room but an absolute punk outside of the stadium. He reminds of Iverson when he first came into the league. If I were Gibbs, I'd continue to let him play and try to get his head out of his ass and see what's available to him and what the penalties could be if he doesn't smarten up. But as soon as his troubles begin to effect the team in a negative way, he'd be gone.
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I suspect the die has been cast for Taylor. He may mature and shed his impulsive, it's-all-about-me tendencies, but I doubt it. It would appear that he has yet to experience any reall significant negative consequences for his acting out, so what has he learned from these episodes?: "If I f#ck up, I'll get a slap on the wrist or some chump-change fine. They need me more than I need them."

I'm sure the stern lecture from Joe Gibbs really sunk in on this thug...not!! So much for Joe not tolerating poor-character players on his teams.

Comment

"If I f#ck up, I'll get a slap on the wrist or some chump-change fine. They need me more than I need them."

This is also what I see, shame really.

Obviously the kid hasn't learned anything by people enabling him.

Comment

Gibbs is a lot like Jimmy Johnson in these regards. He'll toerate a lot of misbehaviour by guys that are key producers/contributors. Guys like Riggins and Dexter Manley. Don't expect him to take a hard line with Taylor...unless he starts sucking on the field.
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Working...
              X