Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Iggy become an All-Star?

Making of a Sixers star
    Iguodala has shown the drive and the will to lead.
    By Joe Juliano
    Inquirer Staff Writer

It always used to be a sign of February, right up there with snow and Valentine's Day, that the 76ers were represented by Allen Iverson every year at the NBA All-Star Game.

Now, however, that Iverson is exhibiting his skills in Denver, the Sixers had no one about whom to brag and promote during All-Star Weekend this year. But could there be one in their future?

How about Andre Iguodala?

"Oh, yes, he will be one," said Washington Wizards coach Eddie Jordan, the coach of the Eastern Conference all-star team.

"He really wants to be good the right way," Jordan continued. "He wants to share the ball. He wants to be better with his dribbling, his shooting, his passing. He wants to be better as a professional. That's what I see from the outside in. He has the personality and the athletic skills, and he works on his basketball skills."

Iverson, a seven-time all-star as a Sixer, commented on the topic at Friday's NBA all-star media session.

"With me not there, you're going to pay attention to what Andre does on the floor," Iverson said. "You're going to be paying attention to things you should have been paying attention to even when I was out there with him.

"I know him as a person. He has a great family and great surroundings. I just want to see him do well. Hopefully, Andre could be right here where I'm at, at this time of year."

Since Iverson played his last game as a Sixer on Dec. 6, Iguodala has taken the reins of the team on the fly and shown that he is ready to put the work, the energy and the desire into wanting to be the team's star, the team's face.

He is averaging 22.6 points, 7.5 assists and 6.2 rebounds in his last 13 games. He has three games of more than 30 points this season while recording two triple-doubles. He is among the NBA leaders in steals and minutes played, and he has started 217 consecutive games, every one since he was drafted out of Arizona with the No. 9 overall pick in 2004.

Iguodala understands what it takes to be a star, and he's willing to work at it as the Sixers prepare to resume their season at home tomorrow against the New York Knicks.

"It's very hard to be on every single game for 82 games," he said. "You have off nights, and you've got to find ways to do other things when you're not putting the ball in the hole. You've got to find a way to make plays, get to the line. It's a lot more than just shooting the ball and hoping it goes in. There's a lot of work that goes into it.

"It's more mental than anything. It's knowing your role and focusing in on what you have to do that night, knowing the matchup, who's going to be guarding you, what type of defensive scheme they're going to throw at you. More mentally than anything, it's just being prepared and knowing that you have to step up every night. It's only going to help me become a better player."

It's been a swift learning curve for Iguodala, who reported for training camp in late September thinking he would be the third offensive option once again, behind Iverson and Chris Webber.

But with the Sixers' major upheavals - the trade of Iverson to Denver on Dec. 19 and the release of Webber on Jan. 11 - the designation of No. 1 option was placed on Iguodala rather quickly. The role of having the basketball in his hands more is one he seems to enjoy.

"He's responded beautifully," Sixers coach Maurice Cheeks said. "To be a third-year guy and to now have the attention that's being put on him right now, I think he's relishing the moment of becoming that player. I knew he had some skills. I didn't know he had the type of skills he's possessing now. I didn't know he could be the potent scorer that he's become."

Cheeks thinks Iguodala possesses the energy to become a great player.

"It takes a lot, but he wants to do it," he said. "Some people can do it; most people can't. You've got to want to do it. You've got to put your time in.

"When we first started giving him the ball, it wasn't happening on a consistent basis. He had 34 one night and 10 the next. You've got to learn how to do it. It takes a lot of will and know-how to be a star. Not everybody can walk out there and score 30 points a night. But you have to possess some of that talent, and he does."

Iguodala needs to keep working at it. One NBA scout, interviewed on the condition his name not be used, said: "There's not a team in the league that would not like him on their team," but wondered how significant a star he could become.

"He could be a star, but he needs a star with him," the scout said. "He's a little too cute sometimes with his passes, and that leads to unforced turnovers. He needs to be a little more careful. But I like the kid. He could probably be an all-star."

Iguodala, who turned 23 last month, also is looking to expand his leadership role on the team and is ready to allow those skills to come out more.

"I have to step up and do that," he said. "That's more difficult than anything just because everyone is watching you. You can't make mistakes. So every day, you have to be consistent with your attitude, make sure everybody is working hard. Emotionally, you've got to be ready every single night. Anything off the court, you have to clear your head and just be prepared to go to work every day."

By NBA standards, Iguodala is a bargain for the rest of this season and next. His salary of $2.202 million this season will rise to $2.805 million next season. After that, the Sixers will try to sign him long term, something he would like very much.

After all, the Sixers would like someone to brag about during All-Star Weekend. He soaked up some of the atmosphere last year competing in the Rookie Challenge and Slam-Dunk Contest, but as they say in the NFL, he wants the chance to play on Sunday.

"It's definitely a goal of mine," Iguodala said. "I want to work on that. I understand that a big part of that is the team's success, so I've got to step up as far as getting everyone on the same page. Just understanding that the team has to win, I think that's going to help me just focus in on winning, and the individual stuff will come in second."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Contact staff writer Joe Juliano at 215-854-4494 or [email protected].
    www.disciplerocks.com

He Got Game.
    Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Looks like to me. Damn he has really stepped his game up.
      FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Working...
      X