Favre one of the greatest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favre one of the greatest?

The guy throws way too many crunch-time INTs to be mentioned with Elway, Montana and Unitas. He's no longer even one of the greats in today's NFL.

Talk amongst yourselves.
    I have never done steroids. Period. Well, not today, anyway.

Not when he leads his receivers into hits like that!
    I'm going back to Houston... to do the hotdog dance. I'm going back to Houston.... gonna get some pants.

-Beck

Comment

You know even though he throws picks in some crunch-time situations, there have been 5 more great passes for TDs in similar situations. He plays the game like a person who only wants to win, he takes a chance if its there. I personally think he may possibly be the best all-time. Depending on how long he plays, he could surpass Elway in wins, and Marino in TD passes and yards. Let's say he plays for 3 more years. He has 371 TD passes, Marino has 420. That averages to about 16.3 TDs a year, easily reachable. Marino has 61,361 yards, Favre has 49,172 yards. That averages to 4,063 yards a year, that one does seem out of reach but not far enough to rule out. I can't find the wins right now but I think Favre is only about 25-20 wins away from Elway. Favre is also the only player to only win 3 solo MVP awards. Favre has done so much with his career, with less than the other great QBs that are usually mentioned. Elway had Sharpe and Smith, Montana had Rice, Clark, and Craig, Marino had Duper and Clayton, Bradshaw had Harris, Stallworth, and Swann. Who has Favre had??? Sterling Sharpe??? Antonio Freeman??? Donald Driver??? He only recently has had Ahman Green in the lineup. This is why I think that Favre is the best ever.
      http://www.canuckheaven.com/upload/canttouch.jpg

Comment

IMO, he was always over rated. I'm not saying he is not great. I'm not sayign he should not make the HOF the very first year he can. I'm just saying that the press made him out to be a lot better then he really was. Anyone ever notice how many passes he always threw each game back in his great years. He had to throw close to 50-55 passes to get 300 yards and everyone acted like it was the greatest thing they ever saw. I have to agree with the person who said he should not be mentioned with Elway, Montana and Unitas. I would include Steve Young and Troy Aikman in that list as well...

Comment

Originally posted by JBurn
          IMO, he was always over rated. I'm not saying he is not great. I'm not sayign he should not make the HOF the very first year he can. I'm just saying that the press made him out to be a lot better then he really was. Anyone ever notice how many passes he always threw each game back in his great years. He had to throw close to 50-55 passes to get 300 yards and everyone acted like it was the greatest thing they ever saw. I have to agree with the person who said he should not be mentioned with Elway, Montana and Unitas. I would include Steve Young and Troy Aikman in that list as well...
          If I'm not mistaken Favre beat out Young and Aikman for the MVP when they were at their peak. Also, as much as everyone likes to tout Elway and talk about the picks that Favre throws, go to the HOF page and look who outranks Elway in passer rating. I'm not sure of the exact number but it is definitely at least 20.

Comment

Young outranks Farve in passing rating though. So does Montana. What's your point?

Comment

Well people wanna talk about Elway as better than Favre but he isn't even in the top 20 in passer rating. And ok, Young and Montana outrank Favre, but again look who they were throwing to and then look at who Favre was throwing to. The dropoff is huge. I think if Favre was throwing to Jerry Rice he would have a good amount more on top of his passer rating.

Comment

passer rating is overrated. Look at Culpepper today. Threw two 5 yard completions that went for 50+ yards each and a TD.
                Support Sportscolumn.com! Tell a friend!

Comment

I think passer rating is worthless. Elway and Favre are similar players in my mind. Both didn't have the prime-time WRs to help them get their #s. The Three Amigos? Please. Although they were fun and someone on this board had them as their avatar. Both Favre and Elway are/were winners that left their heart and guts on the field. Although I know Guru will appreciate this, the announcers just gush way too much when they do a Packers game.

Comment

The reason Elway, Montana and Unitas are the "Big 3", and Favre is not is because they won big games, period. Sure, Brett had his Super Bowl win, but has choked in every single big playoff game since. Elway took the Broncos to the Super Bowl 5 times.

Brett is the closest thing to a legend playing, and everyone, including the announcers and media, thinks that affords him some sort of special attention. Well, that shit don't fly with me. What have you done for me lately?
                    I have never done steroids. Period. Well, not today, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X