Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GREAT article on favre

http://slate.msn.com/id/2112019/

Because he's just a regular dude, Favre is one of us even when he screws up. Favre received almost no criticism last January when his boneheaded overtime heave cost the Packers last year's divisional playoff against Philadelphia. In this year's rematch, the Eagles demolished the Pack by 30 points, in no small part due to Favre's poor play. After the game, ESPN.com's Michael Smith wrote that the "impossible happened Sunday. My opinion of Favre grew." What towering feat did Favre accomplish? He showed his disdain for personal statistics by pulling himself out of the game when the Pack were losing 47-3 even though his 36-game touchdown streak was at stake. Keep in mind, this is the same guy who went into the fetal position to allow Michael Strahan to break the single-season sack record.

Sports Illustrated's Peter King is probably the quarterback's most eager lap dog and the writer most responsible for celebrating Favre's rural lifestyle. "On the morning he had to leave his beloved home and 465 acres in Hattiesburg, Miss., to report to training camp, he began to think this might be his last camp," King wrote in January 2003. "A private plane stood by at a nearby airstrip for the two-and-half-hour flight to Green Bay. … And there he was, sweating a stream while edging a mile of his property where it meets the road, refusing to leave till he finished the job." In short, Favre is the guy next door—I bet that private jet is up on blocks in his front yard.
    Support Sportscolumn.com! Tell a friend!

That's all very true. When the jags played the pack this season I had to turn down the volume on my TV because all the anouncers was talking about how great favre was. There were about 40 seconds left in the game and the score was 28-17 Jags, but the play-by-play guy was still saying that favre could easily come back. That is just ridiculous.
    Hawaii's #1 Jaguar Fan

Comment

It's like they have a script.

"favre is like a kid out there"
      " he just loves the game"
      "if sure is fun watching him, isnt it?"
      "there's no qb i'd rather have in a 2 minute drill"
      "I wish i could bend him over"

it's nauseating.

Comment

Those are always followed by this one:
        "another crunch-time interception thrown by Favre"
        I have never done steroids. Period. Well, not today, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by trufresh17
          yeah, but it's his competitiveness that just caused him to try to make a play. there's still no one else i'd want in a 2 minute drill.

Comment

Originally posted by trufresh17
            yeah, but it's his competitiveness that just caused him to try to make a play. there's still no one else i'd want in a 2 minute drill.

Comment

Were you mimicking the announcers, or do you really feel that way? Give me Brady or Manning. At least they'll make the "smart throw" and not force something in there.

I do hear what you're saying, it's his competiveness that sets him apart, and after he makes a really stupid interception, you know he'll come back and make up for it. If, that is, he gets the chance.

Comment

i'm kidding trufresh. I f'ing hate the media love affair with favre.

Comment

Me too, I really don't get it anymore. His time has come and gone.

Comment

Now it's time for the era of Leftwich.
                    Hawaii's #1 Jaguar Fan

Comment

Working...
                    X