This is a joke right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a joke right?

People have been saying this about the Lakers for YEARS.. and now they're complaining.

Lakers in Foul Mood After Game Four Loss

By Steve Keating

AUBURN HILLS, Michigan (Reuters) - The Los Angeles Lakers (news) say they know what to expect in Game Five of the NBA finals Tuesday, a confident Detroit Pistons (news) one win from the championship, a hostile crowd at The Palace and one-sided officiating.

Looking to become the first team to claw back a 3-1 series deficit to lift the title, the Lakers believe they know how to handle the Pistons and their fans but are helpless against officiating they say has disrupted their rhythm and game plan.

"They (the Lakers) don't feel it's over," Los Angeles coach Phil Jackson told reporters Monday. "They want a shake, these guys want an even shake out there on the floor.

"My sales job is convincing them to go out there and play a game that they get an even break on the court and feel like they are not playing from an uphill standpoint.

"I tried to point that out at the beginning of Game Four, that Kobe (Bryant) is getting fouled, he's getting run into, he's getting knocked around and not getting to the foul line.

"I got a technical foul early just to prove a point, to make an effort. I don't think it worked.

"I am going to have to make a stand with the officials, we have to be able to play defense."

BITTER COMPLAINTS

Jackson has complained bitterly the entire series about what his team sees as uneven officiating, his frustration boiling over during the first quarter of Sunday's 88-80 Game Four loss when he was slapped with a technical foul for voicing his displeasure.

Despite their trademark physical defensive style, the Pistons have been consistently outfouled by the Lakers.

During Game Four, Los Angeles outfouled Detroit 35-20, the Pistons hitting 28 of 41 free throws. In comparison, the Lakers made good on 11 of 22 attempts.

"It's hard to beat a team when they go to the line 20 more times than you do," said Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal.

"But we can't dwell on that. We still had major opportunities to win the game."

Bryant's inability to get to the foul line has thrown him off his game, the All-Star guard shooting 32 percent the last two contests and picking up a technical foul late Sunday after angrily yelling at the referees.

"We're used to Kobe going to the foul line," said Jackson. "I wouldn't doubt if he's one of the top five foul shooters in the league.

"I think he's anticipating that he is creating a situation that he's going to get fouled.

"Now he's had to deal with the fact that he's not and that's been the difference.

"He's trying to get his shot off quicker and earlier, and I think that's created a mistiming."
    Support Sportscolumn.com! Tell a friend!

I used to like Phil when he coached for the Bulls, but since coming to LA he has become an insane egomaniac.
    Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Working...
    X