Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(OT) Interesting piece in PFT on Vince Lombardi's attitude re: gay player.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (OT) Interesting piece in PFT on Vince Lombardi's attitude re: gay player.

"Vince Lombardi accepted gay players on his team"

LINK:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-on-his-team/

I was surprised to learn of Lombardi's very progressive attitude regarding gay players. I had always thought of Vince as a great coach but also a fairly one dimensional hard ass. My estimation of him as a man jumped several notches after reading this.

When Pride Still Mattered

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
    "Vince Lombardi accepted gay players on his team"

LINK:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-on-his-team/

I was surprised to learn of Lombardi's very progressive attitude regarding gay players. I had always thought of Vince as a great coach but also a fairly one dimensional hard ass. My estimation of him as a man jumped several notches after reading this.

I read When Pride Still Mattered and it was basiclally traced back to Vinces's gay brother as to why he accepted them so much. I've read several books on Lombardi and they are all excellent. This book was the best that I've read though and really provides the best insight into his makeup.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
      I read When Pride Still Mattered and it was basiclally traced back to Vinces's gay brother as to why he accepted them so much. I've read several books on Lombardi and they are all excellent. This book was the best that I've read though and really provides the best insight into his makeup.
      I noticed reference to When Pride Still Mattered in this piece. Thanks for the recommendation. I put it on my reading list.

Comment

Great point 60. When pride still mattered is one of the best biographies I have ever read and I recall his brother was gay. VL was also very accepting of Black players prior. I think one of his players had a white wife or girlfriend and VL was way ahead of his time in that regard as well.
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

The Birds owe their last championship to a black player also. Ted Dean is the name that is seldom mentioned in the 1960 championship game. He was headed towards stardom until a knee injury took him out. He was huge in the Big Game.

Comment

It is amazing how much tolerance people have when it hits close to home. I would cite Sarah Palin, Dick Cheney and a recent announcement by a member of congress (Maryland I believe) as examples of people who are adamantly against something until a son or daughter turn out to be gay or pregnant.
            It would be nice if people could be much more tolerant without having to wait for something to hit close to home.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle` View Post
              It is amazing how much tolerance people have when it hits close to home. I would cite Sarah Palin, Dick Cheney and a recent announcement by a member of congress (Maryland I believe) as examples of people who are adamantly against something until a son or daughter turn out to be gay or pregnant.
              It would be nice if people could be much more tolerant without having to wait for something to hit close to home.
              People are already tolerant. What we have now is forced acceptance, not tolerance, and trying to punish anyone who doesn't believe exactly as the media elites do. Tim Tebow says he is a Christian or Broussard speaks up and the media tells them to keep it quiet. Meanwhile, Jason Collins says he is gay and the media says "tell me more, you big hero!" I don't get how Sarah Palin did changed her views on anything.....

I was told this forum doesn't allow politics and religion, and if so, some of these things should not have been allowed in this thread. Just sayin....

Comment

Originally posted by Foles4SB View Post
                People are already tolerant. What we have now is forced acceptance, not tolerance, and trying to punish anyone who doesn't believe exactly as the media elites do. Tim Tebow says he is a Christian or Broussard speaks up and the media tells them to keep it quiet. Meanwhile, Jason Collins says he is gay and the media says "tell me more, you big hero!" I don't get how Sarah Palin did changed her views on anything.....

I was told this forum doesn't allow politics and religion, and if so, some of these things should not have been allowed in this thread. Just sayin....
                Please take a moment to point out the political or religious references in this thread to which you object. And while you're at it, perhaps you'd be willing to cite some instances where the national 'media', and not some isolated blogger with 25 readers, has told Tim Tebow to 'keep quiet'.

And for you to suggest that 'people are already tolerant' is laughable on it's face if you are a representative example of that 'tolerance'.

Comment

It's the offseason so I've let things slide a bit but this forum has had too many political/religious threads lately.

Whether you like it or not, being gay is a religious issue for some.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                    It's the offseason so I've let things slide a bit but this forum has had too many political/religious threads lately.

I don't see the harm Vin. We're all friends here and friends shoot the shit from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                      ....friends shoot the shit from time to time.

What? Who shot Michael Irving? More importantly where's the line to shoot thay p-o-s?
                      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle` View Post
                        Not to get on a rant here but I am really amazed that people get so worked up over things that have absolutely no impact on their own lives. If Jason Collins wants to sleep with another guy -- unless that guy is you what the hell business is it of yours? If two people are consenting adults and no one else is affected by their actions then leave them the hell alone! If Vin enjoys glueing smilie faces to his nutsack and bouncing on a pogo stick infront of a picture of Queen Elizabeth making out with Betty White while his girlfriend hits him with pillows then I say - Go Vin!

And for the relegious zelots claiming vin may be committing a sin, the bible teaches us to love and accept one another. If it is a sin it's between the sinner and God. My own belief is that we are supposed to accept and support one another on this journey - not belittle and hate. Those feelings should be reserved for Cowboy's fans and players.
                        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

That's bullshit jukin. I don't use glue for that. Those smiley faces stick on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                            I suppose you're right...and that's very sad!

Comment

Originally Posted by Eagle60
                              ....friends shoot the shit from time to time

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                              What? Who shot Michael Irving? More importantly where's the line to shoot thay p-o-s?
                              I'm not clear on this. Can friends get together in groups and shoot Michael or do we still
                              have to do it one at a time? And is there any chance we can persuade this guy to
                              volunteer to sub for Irvin once he's reached room temperature?

Comment

Working...
                              X