ah the hypocrisy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ah the hypocrisy

Living in ruby red ND my Libertarian views go against the vast majority (actually all) of the people I associate with. Their latest is not watching football so I ask....... Do you like music? Do you like movies? Do you like TV? Do you like football? Well you still listen to music even though you would never put Jimi Hendix or Janice Joplin or Miley Cyrus or Justin Beiber up as roles models for their views and actions. The same can be said about TV and movie gurus but you still watch movies and TV. And it is the same with football. I go to watch football. I don't go to watch the pregame nonsense and quite honestly turn off the sound listening to the dumbass announcers. I watch football because I enjoy football and I don;t identify any as role madels and am not going to let what people do distract from what I like. Hell playing the national anthem before games is political in itself. There is no reason to have to play that at sporting events. As a side note they play the national anthem every morning at 4:57 before the news so I get my daily dose. And by the way people protested WWI by sitting during the national anthem so this isn't something born yesterday.
    I ask if they like rioting or looting? Of course all say no. I ask if they are okay with peaceful protest? Of course all say yes. I ask if what Colin Kapernick did was peaceful protest and they all say nothing with a blank look or they say that is different. What is different is that he, or others, aren't peacefully protesting they way you want them to peacefully protest. Truth in advertising here-- I spent 43 years (26 military police and 17 highway patrol) enforcing federal, state and local law. You can be sure I come down on the side of law and order but will always defend peaceful protest. The supreme court has ruled that burning a flag is freedom of speech; they ruled you can't be made to stand for the pledge of allegiance and I have little doubt that the same criteria will be applied to the anthem. So that is the law of the land. If you fancy yourself a great American you live with that law. Of course you could always protest.
    Now I hear the uproar is over a black national anthem. First off people may say Black national anthem but a national anthem belongs to a country not a race or tribe or anything else so it really is an anthem not a national anthem. Be that as it may I didn't know much about this anthem so I did some research. It was written as a poem about 1900 and put to music by the brother of the guy who wrote it. In 1919 it was adopted as the Negro National Anthem by the NAACP. Any idea of when the Star Spangled Banner became our national anthem? If you guessed in the 1930s you'd be right. Far later than the anthem Lift Every Voice and Sing. Have you ever sung in a choir? The vast majority of choirs have sung this for years because it is a hymn so if you sung in a choir you likely sang this. It is also a hymn that is in many church hymnals. I doubted this but I looked in the Lutheran hymnal today and sure enough it is there. Finally, as is the case with many hymns the lyrics show this as a patriotic song. Go look at the lyrics. Now some truth in advertising here.....I believe calling this a black national anthem is divisive. Just as divisive as many other things going on by both sides. Call it an anthem or hymn or song much as we do with 'we shall overcome' if you want. But don't call it a national anthem because we have one national anthem in this country. The issue is the media, the media that many like to rail against, picked it up and touted it as a black national anthem. That stoked the fires of the Rush wannabes who bought the media hype but didn't spend 5 seconds looking into it and now we have an uproar.
    This post isn't going to change any hard headed minds but I'll say that in all the noise what I haven't heard is one representative, one senator, or one administration official, especially not the one who should be the leader of the country, say one thing like maybe we should gather a conference of respected leaders to talk about the problem in the country. What is the issue, is it even an issue or is it a misconception, what can we do or what should we do to resolve the issue, etc. Nope. We have raised the temperature of the debate; fortified our bunkers, readied our fighting words and we will suffer because of it so maybe tell your representatives that maybe they should address it rather than flame it.
    Finally, when the questions of slavery came to be in the 1800s they didn't just go away. They had to be addressed. When women were up in arms about the right to vote it just didn't go away. It had to be addressed. When segregation and the issues of the 50s and 60s were fired up they didn't just go away. They had to be addressed--- even in sports. My guess is this isn't just going to go away. It will have to be addressed so maybe some smart people will up and address it rather than let it fester.
    Oh well, wrap yourself in the flag and keep bitching as I am sure it makes you feel more patriotic
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP
Working...
X