This is gonna be nerve racking.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is gonna be nerve racking.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Distractions For Dawkins

June 6, 2006
    By SHANE EVANS

With the season fast approaching, free safety Brian Dawkins has one thing on his mind - excitement. At this stage of the off-season, many players are just getting into football shape. Dawkins, however, is ready to go.
    "When you're having a good time and you're excited to come to work, and not just because it's your job," said Dawkins at his press conference Tuesday.

FS Brian Dawkins and QB Donovan McNabb
    "When you're generally excited to come to work and are excited to play that next opponent because of the camaraderie you have in the locker room. You love the competition you have on the practice field, those are the things you cherish about playing football, and I know I do."

Being one of the most electrifying players in the NFL, Dawkins demands the respect and attention of his peers, but most importantly, he has it from his teammates and he is ready to go forward with this season and last year's 6-10 season behind him.

"If you watch the film that I watch from my personal play last year, you'll see things I need to improve on, that I made too many mistakes last year," said Dawkins. "I'm gearing up to get the season going. I'm knocking some of the rust off. I'm making sure that when the July camp comes, I'm pretty much ready to go at that time and I'm just getting used to the pads again."

Looking to his future, Dawkins is in the final year of his contract and decisions will have to be made about his future as an Eagle. But being the type of player he is, Dawkins guaranteed the media that contract talks wouldn't affect his season and if his play improved any it will not be because it's his contract year.

"First of all, it's always going to be in the back of your mind. You always want to get a deal done, that'll always be there in your mind," said Dawkins. "To say that a guy doesn't think about it, that wouldn't be honest."

"When it bothers you, when it prohibits you from doing what you do on the field, that's when it becomes a problem. But that's not going to happen with me. I'm going to go out and play my brand of ball, whether it's my contract year or my first year after a contract, I'm going to try my best to give everything I have, regardless of the situation."

The Eagles know Dawkins will give it his all on every snap he is on the field for this season, and that's one of the main reasons why he is the team leader on defense. Another reason is that he can't wait to get on the field and start proving that the disappointment of last season was simply an anomaly.

With roughly seven weeks left until training camp, Dawkins and the rest of the veterans will have plenty of time to get geared up for what looks to be an exciting '06 campaign.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The nerve racking part is gonna be ME, waiting to hear that a contract extension has been reached.

I'll tell you this right now, if by some means the Eagles don't resign this man, I will use every curse word I know, have heard or dreamed about in describing the Eagles FO. Clear enough?

I honestly don't know why they won't just go ahead and get this taken care of before the season gets here. It's certainly not for lack of CAP space. And uhhhh, if we can keep roster spots for guys like Mahe and Detmer, I think we can afford holding one for Dawk for a few years even if he DOES start to slip a bit.

Got money, got roster space, got a LEADER who wants to finish his career here....do the damned deal, dude!
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Agree with you 100%, Fresh. There has to be some instances where the FO throws the Banner Bargain Formula out the window and shows some loyalty to the players who have been most loyal to the organization. Brian Dawkins is the epitome of loyal and devoted employee. SIGN HIM NOW, don't futz over it!!!
    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

And look at the attitude he brings to a volountary camp. And to practice every day. Read quotes from the young guys like Sheldon Brown. If the FO wants to send a positive message to this team as a whole, you re-sign a guy like Dawk, and you do it now without just dragging it out and stating the obligatory "it's a business" crap.

Gotta give a little to get a little in this world. You want some loyalty, show some loyalty. And this one is NOT a hard one to give, IS IT????
      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
        Gotta give a little to get a little in this world. You want some loyalty, show some loyalty. And this one is NOT a hard one to give, IS IT????
        I gotta think they'll resign him; he is the leader of the defense and I believe the longest tenured Eagle. He has bled green for years. I have faith that the FO will step up to the plate and do whats right as far as Dawk is concerned.
        Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Don't forget that they can franchise him if necessary. And i have a hunch that Dawk would actually sign the tender, unlike Trot and Corey.

Comment

Of course he can sign if he'll take less money. It's the Eagle way.
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Dawk knows how the NFL works: if he performs well on the field he will stay. If he has another off year like last season it will be more of a question.

The Eagles extended his contract years ago and expressed their loyalty and respect for Dawk...it took some time and patience as all these situations do, but it never became a distraction and it got done...

Now Dawk is 33 and been with the Eagles for 10 years...they really do not have a backup that could step in for him now and they did not draft a safety this year which I thought was indicative of their plans...I assume they will extend Dawk again for 2-3 years at reasonable money ala Runyan...if Dawk wants to stay and finish his career as an Eagle he will sign. I see this happening during or after this season depending on his play.
              Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
                Dawk knows how the NFL works: if he performs well on the field he will stay. If he has another off year like last season it will be more of a question.

The Eagles extended his contract years ago and expressed their loyalty and respect for Dawk...it took some time and patience as all these situations do, but it never became a distraction and it got done...

Now Dawk is 33 and been with the Eagles for 10 years...they really do not have a backup that could step in for him now and they did not draft a safety this year which I thought was indicative of their plans...I assume they will extend Dawk again for 2-3 years at reasonable money ala Runyan...if Dawk wants to stay and finish his career as an Eagle he will sign. I see this happening during or after this season depending on his play.
                It's a "funny'situation the Eagles have here with Considine in the wings. Who knows? Maybe Lewis will be the odd man out next year and Dawk would play SS. In any event I'm not worrying about it now.
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

He is such a pro on and off the field. He said all the right things in that interview. I cannot imagine him playing for another team. If the day comes when he signs with another team, I'd be inconsolable. It would feel like I had just lost one of my heroes.

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
                    I assume they will extend Dawk again for 2-3 years at reasonable money ala Runyan...if Dawk wants to stay and finish his career as an Eagle he will sign. I see this happening during or after this season depending on his play.
                    That's my hypothesis as well. But if it doesn't get done, I am going to be inconsolable. I used to wear jerseys all te time when I was a kid, but Dawk's is the only one I have purchased since Reggie and the only one that I wear. And I wear it proudly. He has to stay. I can not be rational about this.

Comment

60, with Reed's injury and unknown future and Considine's lost year and unknown performance, I think the Eagles are likely to have Dawk stay to bridge to whoever is next...if Reed had not been injured and had shown he could play, Dawk might be on his last year IMO...

Lewis I think will bounce back and be signed long term...

But again, this is not a one way street...Dawk does not get a pity contract nor would he want one...he needs to play well and earn the extension and he knows that IMO...Lewis needs to play much better this year and earn his extension too.

The fans can be irrational and believe me that is understandable in relation to Dawk who has meant so much to all of us over the years, but the organization can only go so far in bending to allow him to stay here...he has to do his part and then the organization needs to reward him for it by keeping him.

I also hope that Dawk will go into coaching and stay with the Eagles in that capacity as well...
                      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

See my "Dawkins Contract Numbers" thread yesterday.

He was slated to make pretty big dough in 2007 and 2008 which got voided due to performance incentives. Give him a big signing bonus now, and he's happy, and our cap takes no major hit beyond 2006. Everybody wins.

Comment

Originally posted by 2nd and Arch
                          See my "Dawkins Contract Numbers" thread yesterday.

He was slated to make pretty big dough in 2007 and 2008 which got voided due to performance incentives. Give him a big signing bonus now, and he's happy, and our cap takes no major hit beyond 2006. Everybody wins.
                          I like winning.

Comment

At least he's going about it in the right way. Come in, play, and don't let it be a sideshow, or distraction. He's getting older, but his fitness regimine is insane, and the guy is still one of the better safetys in the game. I'm actually pretty confident that they'll get something worked out.

It's also worth noting that Michael Lewis is also doing all the right things as well. He really needs to rebound this year, and he knows that.

Comment

The problem I have with this whole thing is that while Dawk is saying all the right things, I know that he has number in his head about what he is worth that is usually based on what he hs done in the past, which may not match up with the Eagles valuation of his ability in the future and the $ they are willing to pay for that future production.

I am a huge fan of Dawkins, but I am not a fan of paying players large dollars that are more additional compensation for past performance rather than an accurate reflection of production they are capable of over the terms of the new contract.

So Fresh I share the same nerve racking feelings, but may be more understanding (as crazy as it sounds) of a decision that leads to not resigning Dawk.

Comment

Working...
                              X