• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scouting the enemy

Carolina took a big hit too.

Posted Aug. 06, 2009 @ 9:17 a.m.
    By Dan Parr
    The Panthers' bid to repeat as NFC South champions took a major hit in the first week of training camp as DT Maake Kemoeatu went down with a torn right Achilles tendon. He underwent surgery on Wednesday morning and will miss the entire season, as the team placed him on injured reserve after the procedure. It's the type of injury that could hamper the 345-pounder into the 2010 campaign.

Kemoeatu is considered the key piece in the team's run defense, and his absence in the last two regular-season games of 2008 served as evidence of his impact. In the first 14 games of the year, Carolina limited teams to 4.1 yards per carry. In the two games Kemoeatu missed with an ankle injury, the opposition ran 52 times and gained 6.75 yards per carry.

The injury had a particularly painful sting because Carolina lacks experienced depth at tackle and doesn't have any obvious replacement to insert at the "nose" position. Aside from starter Damione Lewis, no other Panthers tackle has logged significant playing time in the NFL. Rookie Corvey Irvin and first-year player Nick Hayden are the primary backups at the position, but neither has the bulk or savvy necessary to fill the void left by Kemoeatu. There are certain to be a few intriguing veteran tackles available as teams begin making cuts as camps draw to a close, but the Panthers' options will be limited because they don't much salary-cap space.

"You lose that kind of guy and it's tough to find a guy that can replace him," one veteran evaluator told PFW. "I don't care what team you are; you can't prepare for the loss of a guy that is that key to your defense. He's a big widebody that helps keep guys off of (MLB Jon) Beason. They're going to have to have (Irvin and Hayden) really step up in a hurry.

"If they're out in the free-agent market, it's going to be a guy that is reasonable. There aren't many of those big bodies around. That's a problem."

Defensive coordinator Ron Meeks could also tinker with moving DEs Tyler Brayton and Charles Johnson inside. Brayton moved to tackle to make room for Johnson at end in passing situations last season. Regardless, one of the few irreplaceable members of the team has been lost.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

This'll crack you guys up, I was listening to a sports talk show on my way home, and some caller said he wanted to praise a QB who's "great, one of the best in the league, but doesn't nearly get the credit that he deserves: Jake Delhomme." I laughed so hard I almost drove on the wrong side of the road.
    "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
    — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
    - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Who was the caller? Jake Delhomme's mom?

There's always a string of national writers lined up to fellate Delhomme. It's ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
        It was actually John Fox impersonating Delhomme's mom.

Coach Fox is a certified genius who can do virtually anything, once he puts his mind to it.

Comment

There's always a string of national writers lined up to fellate Delhomme. It's ridiculous.
          Class of the NFC!!

I hope that fraud Fox finally gets flushed this season...
          Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
            It was actually John Fox impersonating Delhomme's mom.

Coach Fox is a certified genius who can do virtually anything, once he puts his mind to it.
            Great minds think alike, Tino....

-Andy Reid

Comment

Sometimes I hate coaches more than opposing players.

My most hated coaches:

- Coughlin
              - Fox
              - Payton

I love Phillips though. With him at the helm, that's free wins!

Comment

Sometimes I hate coaches more than opposing players.

My most hated coaches:

- Coughlin
                - Fox
                - Payton
                Hmmm? What do all 3 have in common...other than being assholes of the highest order?

It turns out that in the case of the smug, baby-faced Payton, we have been blessed with a modern day Leonardo Da Vinci!. Sean, who like Fox is clearly a coaching genius, has talents that go far beyond the gridiron. He 's currently peddling a movie 'treatment' in Hollywood...seriously!!

LINK: http://www.faniq.com/article/Saints-...lywood-1645930

You can't make this shit up!!

What a tool!

Comment

Oh I also hate JMJ, which is a problem for me because I like the Seahawks.

As much as Reid frustrates me and I think he's arrogant, at least he isn't one of the above 3. I'd have a very hard time rooting for the birds if Coughlin or Fox or Payton was the head coach.

Comment

Oh I also hate JMJ, which is a problem for me because I like the Seahawks.
                    Funny you should mention Mora Jr. He immediately came to mind as supremely 'hate worthy', but I didn't add him in my post as he never coached for the Gnats.

Major Tom, Fox, and Payton are all clearly First-Round HOF assholes. But for shear 'All Mouth Nothing Accomplished', few can rival JMJ.

I kinda like the Seahawks as well, but as long as Mora JR is their coach I wish them nothing but heart aches.

Comment

Seattle is a good town and their fans are pretty laid back but loyal and passionate. They tend not to talk out of their ass like Giants and Cowboys fans.

It's too bad they moved to the NFC.

Comment

I figure Jim Mora Jr. has been sufficiently beaten down at this point. His 'I hope it doesn't take us four years' quote has gone from infuriating at the time to utterly hilarious in retrospect.

Comment

Originally posted by IMK View Post
                          I figure Jim Mora Jr. has been sufficiently beaten down at this point. His 'I hope it doesn't take us four years' quote has gone from infuriating at the time to utterly hilarious in retrospect.

An ahole like that can never be sufficiently beaten down.

Comment

So true....still loved his facial expressions when we beat his ass in the NFCCG

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas View Post
                              So true....still loved his facial expressions when we beat his ass in the NFCCG

I'm not sure what facial expression you're referring to. Was it

A) I'm a smug asshole and I'm confused that the scoreboard has us losing
                              B) I'm a smug asshole and I'm confused why we're losing
                              B) I'm a smug asshole and I thought my daddy's name guaranteed a win

Frankly, they all look the same to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X