Football 101 #2: OL/DL Keys to Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football 101 #2: OL/DL Keys to Success

Anyone can contribute, research and add insight, links, definitions etc. I will then consolidate all that and put it into the Football 101 Series Reference thread. I will let these run for 7-10 days depending on activity.

This was another topic suggested by Jukin. Jukin's question:

"Another topic is the nuances of the battle at the LOS. JRJ is always pointing out players who get beat and how it effects the success or failure of a game. What are the things he's looking for that are signs of who's winning or losing that battle? For example this is some of JRJ's thoughts on Bunkley when he watched him on highlights..."

"But he is a dynamic gap attacking DT. I saw alot of FSU this year. He THREW A DECENT OL for Va. TEch INTO the QB! It was like Hercules. A beast. Can he stay healthy. Not a great run stuffer-I've seen him blown back. But almost impossible to block inside 1 on 1. Plays on the other side of the LOS. 100% dialed up perfect template for a JJ DT. This is what JJ wants in a DT, to a tee. Positives outweigh risks no question. Uses his hands well too. Has a nice arsenal of moves, from bull rush, to spin, swims for a DT. Chases plays sideways like a fast OLB!"

1. What keys or signs can we see that show if the OL or DL personnel is winning the battles in the trenches besides the obvious end result?

2. What are the necessary skills for an OL to be successful now?

3. How about for DL now?

4. What are some of the terms and tests talent evaluators use to assess OL and DL now?
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Here are some articles on OL and DL play and what are important skills for them to have...

OL Analysis

DL Analysis

OL Footwork

-Andy Reid

Comment

Ok, one last shot on this topic or I will move on to the next one...step up if you want to discuss this one...

-Andy Reid

Comment

Lets try to break it down into smaller areas?

OL footwork,,,, gotta admit I know next to nothing about it.

I would like to learn more about it! (in laymens terms)

Comment

since I suggested the topic do I still need to throw my support for it? Needless to say I'm interested in it!!!
          Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
          Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

We just need those who said they were interested to kick in and add to it...

I can break it into smaller pieces for sure...lets focus on what skills are needed to be a successful OL now.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Here is one source I was able to find:

Pass Blocking Skills

From that site, it appears that size/build are very important, but that even more so is balance, footwork, handwork and toughness i.e. sticking with the block until the pass is off.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Working...
              X