The three -four here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The three -four here?

I know Diddy wrote a piece about this but I never read it. But since the draft I really have been thinking about this a bit.

IMO, I think they are tinkering with going with a mixed D.

A combo 4/3 and 3/4.

They draft speed guys at DE... lots of them, some Tweeners, and Owens a 304 pound tackle.

I dunno, just seems like they have the personal now to be able to run a 3/4.

I kind a find it intriguing that they could play some hybrid type of D now.

JJ is removed now, Sean needs to make his own D, and Reid knows that something has to change. Just sayin.

Thoughts?

(PS. Maybe Diddy shot the whole idea down already, dunno)

I like the idea MD. Being able to change around based on the situation and personnel will make it more difficult to defend.
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I think we already discussed this, didn't we?
      "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

If so I apologize.

Comment

I don't see it, personally. Graham is here to be a 4-3 pass rusher at the defensive end spot. They don't really have a nose tackle.

If they had taken a guy like Hughes or Kindle, I might have said they might be going more 3-4, investing a high pick in a classic tweener.

But Ricky Sapp is not evidence to me that they are going in that direction. I think he was just a guy they took in a low round because he dropped and they had him rated much higher.
          Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

I also don't think 3-4 is the future although they may throw some looks out there. I have felt the need for the birds to better themselves at LB and I think they may also believe that. I thought they needed to improve LB moreso than DE even though I posted my concern that they would move to the 13/14 spot to go DE. However, I was not aware of Abiamiri's surgery so I better understand the DE picks now. I don't think our CBs are as good as in the past so I think they get more help, esp from the safety spot.
            So, my guess is they stay 4-3, look for more pressure from the line and LBs, and give more help to the CBs than we have seen in the past. If they can achieve that they can throw different blitz looks than they have in the past.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Just curious and really lazy--- what was Diddys take?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
                I don't see it, personally. Graham is here to be a 4-3 pass rusher at the defensive end spot. They don't really have a nose tackle.

If they had taken a guy like Hughes or Kindle, I might have said they might be going more 3-4, investing a high pick in a classic tweener.

But Ricky Sapp is not evidence to me that they are going in that direction. I think he was just a guy they took in a low round because he dropped and they had him rated much higher.
                I agree. It stems from the absurd idea that Graham and Teo-Nesheim are 'undersized' or 'tweeners'. Poppycock. Both are DE's all the way. Sapp is probably a tweener, but honestly he was just a 'this guy's too intriguing to pass on in the fifth' pick. They'll figure out how to use him later.

Switching to or incorporating a 3-4 is a lot more complicated than just getting a few different-sized athletes. It comes with a whole new set of assignments and responsibilities, not to mention new skillsets. I'd rather focus on, say, teaching our linebackers where to be in 4-3 and nickel defenses rather than uprooting everything.

What exactly would we gain from a 3-4 anyway?

Comment

Probably the 2 most important positions on a 3-4 are the stud rush backer and the DT. The Eagles have neither, even for a one-gap 3-4 like Wade Phillips uses, and the closest prospect they may have had was Gocong who they traded. They also traded for Ernie Sims who is undersized even for a 4-3 (except maybe a Tampa-2 which he had played in under Marinelli), and there's no way he can play in a 3-4.

Of course there's always that mythical Joker package they announce every TC which is a 3-4 specialty thing they may try to throw in more of, but in the past it was never more than a few times a season.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
                    Agree! The lack of a BIG nose tackle is a real obstacle, IMO. Other than that, I kind of like the idea of using some 3-4 on defense.

Comment

Dixon could play NT if need be. I just don't think they have all the other parts to run it.
                      FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Working...
                      X