Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (OT) Manute Bol passes away

47 years old,seemed like a decent guy.RIP
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

I heard he was in grave danger about 3-4 weeks ago.

He did a lot for his country. RIP.

Comment

was it his heart? Everything I've heard points to Mr. Bol as being a decent human being, so I'm sure he'll be missed.

RIP.
      Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

heard something about kidney failure and a rare skin disease
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
          heard something about kidney failure and a rare skin disease
          This would be right. They said on his death bed he raised $18,000 to build a new roof for a school in Sudan. Even when he was dying he was thinking about others.... RIP Manute.
          FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

I knew Manute casually. He was one of the best people I have ever met. Just one generous guy. And one tough son of a gun too, but hardly anyone knew that about him. Only the good die young. RIP my friend.
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I'm a casual basketball fan - it's a distant 4th in the top four for me. Having said that it's no surprise that my first thoughts about Bol centered around his efforts to bring together the fighting factions of Sudan and his work to provide quality medical care to his homeland. I guess that's a better legacy than simply being remembered for his on the court skills. Here was a guy who walked the walk and used his celebrity and his personal fortune to try to provide a better quality of life for those who have less. Something most of us could probably stand to learn for ourselves -- I know I can certainly do more. RIP big man.
              Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
              Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

As a longtime DC resident, I was very familiar with Manute Bol. He played for the Washington Bullets.

Manute always seemed to be a kind, caring, gentle person. The fact that he gave away much of his fortune to improve conditions in his homeland, Sudan, proves that he was a giant in more ways than just his physical stature.

The world will miss his spirit. May he rest in peace.
                "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

RIP! I heard that a lot of his career salary went to organizations for trying to end the Sudanese civil war, not to mention relief in that country. Really a shame that one person can only do so much.

Again, RIP to a class act!
                  "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                  — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                  - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Working...
                  X