Remember LeCharles Bentley?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember LeCharles Bentley?

Wasn't he the guy that was supposed to be an Eagle and then ditched us for the Browns?

CLEVELAND (AP)—Former Cleveland Browns center LeCharles Bentley(notes) sued the team on Thursday over a career-ending staph infection he says he contracted at the team’s training facility.

Bentley’s attorney, Shannon Polk, said the lawsuit filed in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court seeks at least $25,000 in damages for alleged fraud and negligent misrepresentation. Bentley could seek more money in court.
    Polk said Bentley nearly died from the infection while he was rehabbing from a knee injury.

“They told him their facility was the best,” Polk said. “But they never told him about a host of unsanitary conditions there. And they never told him about the list of others who contracted staph before he chose to rehab there.”

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
    Wasn't he the guy that was supposed to be an Eagle and then ditched us for the Browns?
    Yep. He was arguably the best Free Agent on the market that year. Word was that he had agreed to a deal with the Eagles before FA began. (Which is always funny because we now things like that happen, even though it's supposed to be against the rules.) He backed out on the handshake agreement, signed with the Browns for huge sums of money, got hurt, was put on IR, got a staph infection and never played another game. Meanwhile we ditched Honeybuns and he wound up being Bentley's replacement. (Not sure if that was right away or a year later, but there was some irony there.)

Comment

I remember Bentley from The Jeffersons. Does that count?

Comment

Cleveland had a rash of staph infections of their injured players if I recall (was Bentley the first?). They even briefly tried to fine or suspend a player who publicized his own issue, after the team had asked to keep it secret. Probably afraid of lawsuits like this one. NFL didn't take too kindly to that ploy though.

Comment

Joe Jurevicius (whom I hate because of a certain play) also got staph and sued them.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
            Word was that he had agreed to a deal with the Eagles before FA began... He backed out on the handshake agreement, signed with the Browns for huge sums of money, got hurt, was put on IR, got a staph infection and never played another game.
            Bentley's story is unbelievable. He genuinely might have been a multi-time Pro Bowler if he'd signed with the Eagles.

I've read that staph infection issues are really, really hard to fight. You can sterilize a place top to bottom, and they'll still pop up. I believe the Redskins once built an entirely new facility due to a staph problem.

Comment

Originally posted by IMK View Post
              Bentley's story is unbelievable. He genuinely might have been a multi-time Pro Bowler if he'd signed with the Eagles.

I've read that staph infection issues are really, really hard to fight. You can sterilize a place top to bottom, and they'll still pop up. I believe the Redskins once built an entirely new facility due to a staph problem.
              Depends on how bad the staph infection is. It can be as small and minor as a boil or bad enough to be flesh eating. The bad thing about it is that some people carry it around on themselves in different places. So you can sanitize a place like crazy and still wind up with staph problems.
              FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                So you can sanitize a place like crazy and still wind up with staph problems.

Man you ain't kidding! I used to work in a place that had must have had 3-4 receptionists a year. they just kept quitting because the owner was an ass and treated them like shit. I don't think they ever solved their staff problem.
                Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
                  Cleveland had a rash of staph infections of their injured players if I recall (was Bentley the first?). .
                  I believe Jurevicius was first well publicized case of infection...some time before Bentley. Joe won his suit. I have seen it argued that Bentley may have more difficulty prevailing because the problems with staph infections were publicly known before he began Rx in the Browns facility.

Even though the guy pulled a shitty move on the Birds, you've got to feel bad for him.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
                    I believe Jurevicius was first well publicized case of infection...some time before Bentley. Joe won his suit. I have seen it argued that Bentley may have more difficulty prevailing because the problems with staph infections were publicly known before he began Rx in the Browns facility.

Even though the guy pulled a shitty move on the Birds, you've got to feel bad for him.

For that reason alone he gets no sympathy from me. What comes around goes around Mr. Millionaire Bentley. Unfortunately it seems as if the majority of the people who screw others over never seem to pay the price for their misdeeds. When they do I don't cry for them.
                    Last edited by Zepster; 07-23-2010, 10:48 PM.
                    Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                      Man you ain't kidding! I used to work in a place that had must have had 3-4 receptionists a year. they just kept quitting because the owner was an ass and treated them like shit. I don't think they ever solved their staff problem.
                      They needed Bentley to stomp all over their backs to straighten them out.

Comment

Working...
                      X