Question for the board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the board

What would you guys think if the NFL started a second league that played from March through May. The difference between this league and some of the other spring football leagues is that the teams would still be the same NFL teams you already follow. Imagine a 10 game season of the Eagles where the players were made up of the teams practice squad players and fringe draft pick players and anyone the team thought needed work from the regular roster. Sort of a minor league version of the NFL where you could see how players look against other players at the same level. Personally I think I'd watch it just to learn more about who the team has and what sort of real depth we have. For the NFL it would allow them to offer another set of games to the networks to enhance the TV packages they already sell and for the fans it would help fill the void between the SB and TC.

What do you think? Would you watch it?
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Would I watch it? Absolutely.

Am I buyng this iea of yours?....nope.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I read the article 60 posted in the CBA thread and the thing that popped out at me was that the league has to find a way to get more games on TV. Even with an 18 game schedule they won't be maximizing their potential. A secondary league though would give them a whole lot of additional TV ads to offer networks. If the league works they hit gold. If it doesn't they go back to what they do now. But as a fan I'd like to see what we have in storage.
      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Do the networks have some sort of noncompete with the other sports ? Granted they overlap already,but for a full season ?
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I don't know who would be more pleased with this were it to happen...my wife or Ugly Bud Selig.

Comment

No. The reason football is so popular is because of the anticipation and buildup. IMO if it football existed year round it would get to diluted and even the regular league would eventually start to lose viewers.
            Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

I agree with LD. While football is my favorite sport, I do enjoy watching others - particularly college basketball. I also believe that too much football would dilute its value.
              "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg View Post
                No. The reason football is so popular is because of the anticipation and buildup. IMO if it football existed year round it would get to diluted and even the regular league would eventually start to lose viewers.
                I agree plus you would dilute the talent to the point where you would have a product that would not be nearly as good.
                Fly EaglesFly!

Comment

I would be OK with it but the way they should do it is to put 4 teams that aren't going to play one another in the next season together (if that is possible) and let them play a short 8 game schedule starting in like April... right after college basketball... to be finished by Memorial Day. That is what I would do because then the teams don't have to carry a bunch of overhead but they can get their guys on the field that normally don't play a lot... a guy like Kafka, Ingram, Austin Howard.
                  You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Working...
                  X