No announcement yet.

Report: Eagles will be "first in line" to sign Plaxico Burress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This would make no sense, but I guess the Redskins have done dumber things, and unless they threw a boatload of money at him I don't see how it makes sense for Burress either.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...edskins-roster

Cooley: Burress could go from prison to Redskins' roster

Forget Donovan McNabb or Albert Haynesworth for a minute. What are the Redskins going to do at wide receiver? Santana Moss is a free agent, which pretty much leaves Washington with, well ...

"I'm sure we'll try to sign Santana Moss back, but we need a big-time receiver," tight end Chris Cooley said on Tuesday's "Cover Two Podcast". "We've got to have someone step in and fill that position."

Washington drafted Miami's Leonard Hankerson, Nebraska's Niles Paul and Aldrick Robinson from SMU, but there remains a void in the "big-time receiver" department. Sidney Rice, Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards will be free agents. So will Plaxico Burress, Terrell Owens and maybe Chad Ochocinco.

Of the latter three, Cooley said: "It's tough when you get guys like T.O. or Chad, who have been what they are in the NFL for so long. In my opinion, Plaxico Burress probably is a guy that's humbled such as Michael Vick was, a lot, in the same situation. If you were going to take a risk on a guy that's a good player, he's probably the guy you're going to take a risk on.
    "He'll probably step in a locker room, keep his mouth shut, work hard and try to earn his way back into the league the first season."

Cooley is high on Anthony Armstrong, who had 44 catches for 871 yards and three touchdowns last season after spending the previous two seasons on the practice squads of the Dolphins and Redskins. Cooley even went so far as to say that Armstrong could emerge as a surprise breakthrough player in 2011 along with running back Ryan Torain.

Follow Steve Wyche on Twitter @wyche89.

Comment

Per RotoWorld...

Brian Urlacher said he would welcome free agent Plaxico Burress to the Bears.

"I'm a big fan of his," Urlacher said of Burress. "Always been a big fan of his, football-wise. Every time he plays against us, he gives us fits." The Bears showed interest in Burress before he went to jail, but we don't see it as a fit now. Offensive coordinator Mike Martz prefers smaller, quick receivers.

Comment

http://www.csnphilly.com/06/21/11/St...96&feedID=3041

Steelers interested in Plax, too?

Tuesday, June 21, 2011
        Posted: 12:25 p.m.

CSNPhilly.com

Plaxico Burress appears to have options.

After he was released from prison on June 6, there has been some speculation about Plax wanting to come to the Eagles, with him seen wearing a Phillies hat on multiple occasions.

Now, Plax may have a chance to return home again. Gerry Dulac from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette tweeted (via Yahoo! Sports) that the "#Steelers coaches are interested in Burress but depends on price. They would release randle el to make room."

If you forgot, Burress used to play for the Steelers before going to the Giants.

That would mean the Steelers could have the prolific trio of Hines Ward, Mike Wallace and Plaxico Burress catching passes for them.

Comment

http://www.giantsfootballblog.com/20...agues-rookies/

Report: Plaxico to Address League’s Rookies

Kudos to Will Brinson of CBS Sports.com for this one….Former Giants star WR Plaxico Burress will be a guest speaker at this week’s rookie symposium in Florida as part of the ” what not to do” segment.
          According to Brinson…..
          Burress will be one of the players speaking to the rookies about life in the NFL. Obviously, Burress, who was released from prison June 6, has a unique perspective on life as an NFL player and the traps of fame that can ensnare young players in the league.

He’s also an excellent example of what our own Mike Freeman referred to as a blown opportunity for rookies: By passing on the Symposium, for whatever reason, they’re also passing on valuable advice that could prove life-changing down the road.

Burress went from the highest of highs — catching a touchdown in the Super Bowl for the Giants — to the lowest of lows — shooting himself in the leg in a nightclub and spending more than a year in prison on a weapons charge — pretty quickly. So getting Burress to speak at the Symposium is a savvy move by the NFLPA and a dagger for any rookie who skips the event thinking valuable advice won’t be passed out.
          Nice work by the league and by Burress’ agent, Drew Rosenhaus, who has done nothing but put his client in a positive light since his release. Plaxico’s value is rising, folks. He will end up in a good situation very soon….

Comment

Per RotoWorld...

According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, signing free agent Plaxico Burress will be "far down the list" on the Eagles' post-lockout agenda.

Inquirer reporter Jeff McLane insists that the Eagles "remain neutral" about the possibility of pursuing Burress, and that reports Plax was on Philly's radar emanated from the player's camp, not the team. McLane suggests that Burress would only become an Eagle if he's willing to play for "a meager price."

Comment

7/07/11 Update...

In addition to the Eagles, NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora lists the Bears, Rams, Seahawks, and Jets as the teams most likely to pursue free agent Plaxico Burress.

It seems Plax will end up in Philly only if he's willing to accept a team-friendly deal while spurning other offers. We maintain that the Rams make no sense as a landing spot for a 34-year-old receiver, nearly three years removed from his last NFL snap. St. Louis already goes 6-7 deep at the position with a younger player in Danario Alexander possessing a similar skill-set. ESPN's John Clayton expects Plaxico to land a two-year deal at roughly $3.5 million.

Comment

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...bout-coming-to

Plaxico Burress Hanging With DeSean Jackson, Talking About Coming To Eagles

Plaxico Burress has a verified twitter account and had some interesting things to say this afternoon. Namely that he was hanging out with DeSean Jackson and that he'd be signing with the Eagles as soon as they would have him. Obviously though, we assume that last part was joking. Kind of...

Comment

7/08/11 Update...

Appearing on NFL Network Thursday night, free agent Plaxico Burress floated the Texans as a possible landing spot.

He's smart to keep his options wide open. "When you say Houston, all I can say is 'Wow,'" Burress said. "That's all I can say, because I give respect where respect is due. And I believe Andre Johnson is the best wide receiver in football. ... Matt Schaub has really taken off as an elite quarterback. I think Arian Foster is one of the top-five running backs in this league. I think that team is bound for the playoffs this year and looking forward to great things."

Comment

I still say sign him

Comment

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...ream-come-true

Plaxico Burress On Eagles: "It Would Be A Dream Come True"

Whether he's telling ex teammates from prison, on twitter or on the radio Plaxico Burress has been telling anyone who will listen that he'd like to play for the Philadelphia Eagles. The latest came today when Burress was a guest of 97.5 The Fanatic. He was asked about the possibility of him playing in Philadelphia.
                      "It's definitely attractive," he said. "I'm not going to sit here and say it's not. I mean I just look at the pieces to the puzzle that's already in place, and if I can just go out there and fill that void and just be that extra playmaker and go out and have a presence, have an impact, ya know, make the guys better around me, it's a great opportunity."
                      Further, he said that playing with Michael Vick would be a "dream come true."
                      "Oh, it would be a dream come true," he said. "I have a lot of respect for Mike, not just as a quarterback but as a person -- you know what he's overcome and what he's went through and just the way he bounced back. ...

"And for me and him to be able to play together ... you know we played against each other in high school, we're pretty much from the same area -- everybody back home would go absolutely bananas. And to just have me, him and DeSean (Jackson) and those guys lining up on the same offense on Sunday ... it would really be exciting."
                      We already knew that he was pals with Vick and he recently revealed that he's been hanging out with DeSean Jackson... So clearly there wouldn't be much trouble fitting him into the team from a personality standpoint. The question for the Eagles is simply about what they think he can do on the field and probably at what price will he sign? If he's willing to do a one year, "prove it" kind of deal, then I expect the Eagles would certainly be interested. Then again, the Eagles will have cap space to burn...

In a separate interview, Burress mentioned the possibility of playing for the Jets or Texans specifically. That's where the Drew Rosenhaus influence clearly showed itself. He knows that they are both teams that will likely be in the market for a complimentary WR, so you can be sure he told Burress to mention them.

Comment

7/12/11 news...

Free agent Plaxico Burress revealed Tuesday that the Bears are on the list of teams he wants to sign with this year.

"My decision making is going to come down to what I said, playing with an elite quarterback, playing with a running game, playing with a great tight end," said Burress, "and Greg Olsen is already that guy." ESPN Chicago suggested earlier in the day that the interest is unlikely to be mutual. Based on other reports, Plaxico's list also includes the Eagles and the Jets.
                        Multiple sources tell the Chicago Sun-Times that the Bears would only be interested in Plaxico Burress at a "bargain basement price, if at all."

Plax does fit the Bears' need for a bigger, physical receiver, but there are rightfully concerns about his character, age, and rustiness. More of a free lancer, Burress is also considered a poor fit for Mike Martz's scheme that requires precise route running.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...ing-with-bears

Burress gushes about possibility of signing with Bears

While the consensus seems to be that Plaxico Burress will return to the NFL with the Philadelphia Eagles, the wide receiver says the Chicago Bears are among the top three teams he'll consider after the lockout ends and free agency begins.

"Oh, without question, without a doubt," Burress said on "The Carmen, Jurko & Harry Show" on WMVP-AM in Chicago when asked if the Bears are in the mix for his services. "With the right tools, they can go all the way to the top."

Burress, who hasn't played since August 2008 after serving nearly two years in prison for carrying an unlicensed gun into a New York nightclub, also lauded Bears quarterback Jay Cutler and running back Matt Forte.

"As a receiver, I have a lot of respect for Jay Cutler," Burress said. "I feel he's a phenomenal talent. With the right tools put in place ... I think he can go all the way to the top."

The Bears have expressed an interest in adding a taller receiver such as 6-foot-5 Burress, though their interest in him is unknown. However, linebacker Brian Urlacher recently said Burress would be a welcome addition in Chicago.

"I'm a big fan of his," Urlacher said on WMVP-AM's "The Waddle & Silvy Show" last month. "Always been a big fan of his, football-wise. Every time he plays against us, he gives us fits. He's a tough matchup for any corner."

Bears fans also seemed to have affected Burress via Twitter messages, urging him to come to Chicago.

"It's just been love," Burress said. "It's one of the best cities in the world."

Meanwhile, the Eagles haven't shied away from showing their love either, with quarterback Michael Vick saying Tuesday on ESPN Radio's "The Herd with Colin Cowherd": "I think he's an extremely good athlete, one of the best receivers ever to play the game. ... Why wouldn't you want him on your team?"

Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson joined the chorus Friday on ESPN Radio New York.

"But in my mind, I think he would love to come play for the Eagles, you know, he and Vick -- he already kind of had a connection with Vick -- with him being in prison and him kind of talking to him before," Jackson said via SportsRadioInterviews.com. "So it might be a connection, bro, I don't know. But regardless, I wish the best for him, and if he was to come to Philadelphia, I think it would be a dangerous combination."

Burress, who turns 34 in August, has 505 receptions for 7,845 yards and 55 touchdowns in nine seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers and New York Giants. He caught the winning touchdown pass for the Giants in Super Bowl XLII.
                        Last edited by YourPalChrisMal; 07-13-2011, 12:50 PM.

Comment

7/13/11 Update...

The Chicago Tribune seconds a Sun-Times report that the Bears have no interest in free agent Plaxico Burress.

It's "not happening," says beat writer Vaughn McClure. "No matter how much he adores them." The Bears reportedly came to this conclusion after doing "extensive research" on Burress before he went to prison two years ago. That stance hasn't changed since, even if Plax is willing to sign on the cheap.

Comment

7/18/11 Update...

ESPN's Ashley Fox expects the Eagles to pursue Plaxico Burress in free agency, "and go after him hard."

Fox covered the Eagles for the Philadelphia Inquirer before ESPN, so she has team sources. The Birds are in "win now" mode by all accounts and may be willing to take a gamble in order to land a potential playmaking receiver with size. However, secondary and defensive line help figure to be priorities over Burress once free agency opens.

Comment

I'm not sure why, but I am starting to really think this is going to happen.

After I get past that realization, I start to wonder how I wold really feel about it. Fact is, I never liked Plexiglass as a human being, and saw him as another dumb-assed wanna--be thug. But afer the Mike Vick experience, my belief that a man might actually be able to change has strengthened to where I say.....OK, maybe. So, getting around the humac/character part of it, how do I feel about the move as a player upgrade? Again, tough. Can't expect him to be what he was, as he's no spring chicken and has been away for a couple of years, and is not anywhere near in football shape. Vick is a supremely more gifted natural athelete, and he was only a shell of his former self the first season. Plus, the spot we would want him for.....isn't that why Riley Cooper is here? If you still believe that Coop can become that big red zone presence, then we have no need of Plax. Personally I think that Riley is going to pan out.

So, I guess at this point I would be OK with picking him up for a MINIMAL investment. And I mean minimal. Any type of bidding war for his services and he can take a long hike off a short pier.
                              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                                I'm not sure why, but I am starting to really think this is going to happen.

After I get past that realization, I start to wonder how I wold really feel about it. Fact is, I never liked Plexiglass as a human being, and saw him as another dumb-assed wanna--be thug. But afer the Mike Vick experience, my belief that a man might actually be able to change has strengthened to where I say.....OK, maybe. So, getting around the humac/character part of it, how do I feel about the move as a player upgrade? Again, tough. Can't expect him to be what he was, as he's no spring chicken and has been away for a couple of years, and is not anywhere near in football shape. Vick is a supremely more gifted natural athelete, and he was only a shell of his former self the first season. Plus, the spot we would want him for.....isn't that why Riley Cooper is here? If you still believe that Coop can become that big red zone presence, then we have no need of Plax. Personally I think that Riley is going to pan out.

So, I guess at this point I would be OK with picking him up for a MINIMAL investment. And I mean minimal. Any type of bidding war for his services and he can take a long hike off a short pier.
                                I just don't see Plax as a priority. The Birds should be thinking defense, defense and more defense. Let's face it, we SUCKED last year on that side of the ball. And Riley choked so bad on the last play of the season that it makes me want to puke. What the hell was that anyway? Again regarding Plax, I just think the Eagles won't be matching offers that he gets from other teams.
                                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                                X