Report: Eagles will be "first in line" to sign Plaxico Burress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
    I just don't see Plax as a priority. The Birds should be thinking defense, defense and more defense. Let's face it, we SUCKED last year on that side of the ball. And Riley choked so bad on the last play of the season that it makes me want to puke. What the hell was that anyway? Again regarding Plax, I just think the Eagles won't be matching offers that he gets from other teams.
    I don't see that much of a market for him. He's already old for a WR and hasn't played in over a year. The only teams I see being hot to get them are teams like the Eagles who are in a win now mode and have a serious need for a redzone threat.

And on a side note, what's with ESPN hiring the worst Philly writers out there? Sal Pal? Steven A.(sshole) Smith? And now Ashley Fox?
    Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

7/19/11 Update...

Free agent Plaxico Burress told WQAM in Miami that he'd love to play for the Dolphins.

Burress' attempts to drum up his market by rattling off teams to the media comes off more like grasping at straws than anything. Plax won't get a contract for much more than the vet minimum. "For me to be able to be somewhere I love, that I call home, and to live at one place all year around for the first time in my life, it would be a beautiful situation," Burress said.

Comment

http://www.csnphilly.com/07/21/11/bD...641&feedID=692

Ray Didinger on Burress...

Q. Do you believe the hype that Plaxico Burress is coming to the Eagles? Do you think he can still be a major contributor or will his role be diminished to that of a situational player?

-- Ed Liberati

A. I spoke to several NFL people recently who made it sound like Burress to the Eagles is a done deal. The buzz is that strong. Personally, I don’t see it. I don’t think it is a fit for either side.

The Eagles don’t need another receiver. They have DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Jason Avant and Riley Cooper. At best, Burress would be No. 4. And I’m sure whatever contract Burress works out will have incentive clauses based on number of catches. Well, how many balls does he figure to catch in this offense? Not many. So it doesn’t make a lot of sense from his side either.

It is a long shot Burress ever regains his big-time status. He will spend this season just getting back into shape and regaining his timing. The fact he won’t have much time to assimilate into his new team because of the lockout only complicates matters. And let’s say he uses this year to regain his legs: he will be 35 next year. How many rusty 35-year-olds are playing wide receiver in the NFL?

In fairness, I was one of the skeptics who felt the Eagles’ signing of Michael Vick was folly. Clearly I was wrong. Vick has resurrected his career in ways I never thought possible. Maybe I’ll be wrong on Burress, too. I just think his best shot would be with St. Louis, Chicago or Oakland, teams that need a receiver. The Eagles don’t.

Comment

Riley Cooper sucks, he would have been cut after that last play if I was in charge.

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg View Post
            Riley Cooper sucks, he would have been cut after that last play if I was in charge.
            Exactly WTF was that anyway? Just and unexplainable lack of effort at the most crucial part of the season! He can kiss my ass too!
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
              Exactly WTF was that anyway? Just and unexplainable lack of effort at the most crucial part of the season! He can kiss my ass too!
              What's the point of a big SLOW WR that doesn't fight for the ball.

Comment

7/26/11 Update...

Coach Tom Coughlin is willing to sit down and talk with free agent Plaxico Burress, according to the New York Post.

The personal issues between Coughlin and Burress have been well documented, and Burress has even made it clear that he doesn't really want to return to the Giants. This is likely just a case of Coughlin doing his due diligence. ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio suggests that the Giants just want to be able to say they explored Plaxico in case he explodes for another team.
                Citing a source familiar with Plaxico Burress, the Newark Star-Ledger reports that the free agent is drawing interest from the Texans, Rams, and Bears.

This sounds like an agent-driven report. The Chicago Tribune is adamant that Burress is not on the Bears' radar, and the Rams aren't expected to consider signing him, either. The Texans make a small amount of sense -- Kevin Walter can do many of the same things. This story may be a ploy from the Burress camp to attempt to drive up Plax's price tag with the Eagles.
                ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the Giants are now considering re-signing free agent Plaxico Burress.

We're wary of all reports about interest in Burress because he's such a weak bet to return as a productive player, and his agent has been highly aggressive about trying to drum up his market. Still, Schefter cites team sources in his report, and says the G-Men "want to see where Burress is at mentally." He's also been linked to the Texans, Rams, Bears, and Eagles.
                Citing "several" sources, Tony Softli of ESPN 101 St. Louis reports that the Rams are "moving quickly" on free agent Plaxico Burress and free agent to-be Reggie Bush, with both players "high" on St. Louis' wish list.

Softli says his "gut feeling" is still that the Rams will "lean towards" free agent Darren Sproles over Bush, but only if the Saints find a way to restructure his contract and bring Bush back. Softli has few further details on St. Louis' interest in Burress. The Rams obviously can't sign for Bush until he's released, and released he almost certainly will be by Thursday. Burress is an unrestricted free agent available to the top bidder.
                Free agent Plaxico Burress will visit with the Giants and coach Tom Coughlin on Wednesday.

It should be an interesting meeting, as Plax and Coughlin have sparred publicly in the media. We suspect that the Giants are just kicking the tires on their former player, as it's really hard to see these two reuniting. But at this point, the 33-year-old Plax is likely willing to talk to anyone with even a thread of interest.
                Last edited by YourPalChrisMal; 07-27-2011, 07:20 AM.

Comment

7/27/11 Update...

The Steelers have reportedly joined the Giants in pursuing a reunion with free agent Plaxico Burress.
                  ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports free agent Plaxico Burress is expected to decide between the Giants and Steelers.

One report from a month ago suggested Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers' coaches were more interested in Plax than the front office and ownership were. Burress will meet with Giants coach Tom Coughlin Friday night, then fly to Pittsburgh to visit coach Mike Tomlin. The Giants have reportedly discussed a two-year, $10.5 million contract with 60 percent in salary and bonuses and the remainder in incentives.
                  The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review is skeptical of a report that the Steelers are interested in free agent Plaxico Burress.

"I'll believe it when I see it," says beat writer Scott Brown. "Tiki is still getting linked to the Steelers, and they have no interest in him." It wouldn't be the first time agent Drew Rosenhaus played the national media.
                  Last edited by YourPalChrisMal; 07-27-2011, 06:10 PM.

Comment

7/28/11 Update...

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Gerry Dulac hears "the door is wide open" for free agent Plaxico Burress to return to the Steelers.

"But is it the bank door?" asks Dulac. The Steelers are already up against the salary cap, and Plax would be cutting into the playing time of promising young receivers Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown. We remain skeptical, though it certainly seems like the Steelers' front office won't stand in the way of a bargain deal.
                    Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com reports "at least a dozen" teams are interested in free agent Plaxico Burress and consider him a "low-risk" bargain.

"It is stunning," says Freeman, "that team executives speak about Burress' future with such certainty like they've stepped into a time machine." Execs tell Freeman that Plax will "retain his athletic ability" and return to form "easier and quicker" than Michael Vick at a less demanding position. The entire report reads like it came straight from the desk of agent Drew Rosenhaus, through Freeman cites multiple front office sources. In addition to the Giants and Steelers, Freeman says the Redskins, Eagles, Jets, and another mystery team have emerged as the "top contenders" for Plax.
                    Co-owner John Mara confirmed that the Giants have interest in free agent Plaxico Burress.

A formal signing is not close, but Burress reuniting with coach Tom Coughlin is a real possibility. A meeting between coach and player is scheduled for Friday night to start the process. "If we move successfully past step one of the process, then we have to see if he fits in terms of our salary cap situation and everything," Mara said. Burress' other old team, the Steelers, is also rumored to be in the mix.
                    Last edited by YourPalChrisMal; 07-28-2011, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• So much for the Eagles being "first in line" to sign Burress. Haha.

Comment

• Wow, Coughlin sounds toooooootally into the idea of bringing Burress back. LMFAO.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin made it clear that free agent Plaxico Burress will have to impress him in their Friday evening meeting, not the other way around.

Coughlin won't be doing much recruiting at dinner. "What I have to hear is sincerity," Coughlin said, adding that he wants to see a changed man. Asked why Coughlin agreed to the meeting, he answered that ownership asked him to and "it's a business." Giants fans looking for a Plaxico reunion shouldn't get their hopes up just yet.

Comment

• Oooo, "the risk-taking Eagles". I like it. Haha.

In addition to the Giants and Steelers, the Eagles and Jets also have expressed varying degrees of interest in free agent Plaxico Burress, sources tell ESPN.com.

Burress, who has been officially reinstated as a player by commissioner Roger Goodell, will meet with the Giants tonight. He then could head to Pittsburgh to meet with his former team. According to ESPN, the Giants have talked of giving Burress a two-year, $10.5 million deal that would be incentive laden. If that deal falls through, the Jets may see him as a fallback option to Randy Moss and the risk-taking Eagles may want to use him as a red-zone option.

Comment

• 7/30/11 Update...

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette, the Jets are expected to make a "big pitch" for free agent Plaxico Burress.

The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta has confirmed the Jets' interest. Bouchette has also been told by Giants sources that Burress is "unlikely" to re-sign with the G-Men, and that the race for his services has come down to the Steelers and Jets. Burress spent Saturday morning at Steelers camp. The Jets are likely next on his list of free agent visits, and they can offer much more playing time with a potential starting job opposite Santonio Holmes.

Comment

• 7/30/11 Update...

Free agent Plaxico Burress is scheduled to visit the 49ers later Saturday before going to New York to meet with Jets officials on Sunday.

Burress' market is picking up quicker than we would've expected for a 34-year-old coming off an 18-month prison sentence. The Niners' interest is another clear sign that they're very concerned with Michael Crabtree's bum foot, which could dog him into the season. Plax could be a starter in either of these locales.

Comment

• If the Eagles were "first in line" it seems as if they got jipped!

The Newark Star-Ledger's Jenny Vrentas reports free agent WR Plaxico Burress will not visit with the Jets on Sunday as originally planned.

Burress spent Saturday morning in Pittsburgh after meeting with the Giants and HC Tom Coughlin on Friday evening in a talk he said "went well." Vrentas' colleague Mike Garofolo reports his meeting with San Francisco has been bumped to Sunday, and that he'll "maybe" meet with the Jets on Monday. It would seem as if Plax is primed to sign with one of his two former clubs.

Comment

Working...
                                X