Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff McLane: Eagles will go hard after a DE, likely target is Ray Edwards

Per RotoWorld...

Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer expects the Eagles to go "hard" after a defensive end in free agency.

"Leaning towards Ray Edwards," speculates McLane. It sounds like the Falcons may have some competition. The Eagles are seemingly on the prowl for pass rushers on an annual basis, and left end is their neediest spot up front. (Edwards played LE in Minnesota.) Philly could consider cutting Juqua Parker if it signs Edwards, who will command a lucrative long-term contract.

I hope not.

Edwards only plays hard in short bursts when he wants something. Strikes me as an asshole.

Comment

I'd be interested in him before I'd be interested in Haynesworth. We NEED some help on the defensive front.
      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
        I'd be interested in him before I'd be interested in Haynesworth. We NEED some help on the defensive front.
        What if it was Edwards AND Haynesworth...after trading Kolb for DRC? There's risk in all 3, but I'd be excited about a dramatically improved D if those were the 3 big name acquisitions.

Comment

No doubt. I'd worry about team chemistry and all, but as for a talent infusion, that would be huge.
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
            What if it was Edwards AND Haynesworth...after trading Kolb for DRC? There's risk in all 3, but I'd be excited about a dramatically improved D if those were the 3 big name acquisitions.
            That would be killer. Haynesworth would be on his best behavior being around Reid and the coach he loves.
            FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

I don't trust Haynesworth at all. Keep him out of here - in fact don't allow him within 50 miles of the state line!! As for Edwards I'm a little concerned about his desire as well. He seems to have a lot of Haynesworth in him - great talent when motivated but once he gets his big payday will he still play hard or just fake the effort? If they sign him it has to be an incentive laden contract to keep him motivated.
              Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
              Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I'd like to go after Haynesworth and Johnson from Carolina. Trade Kolb for Cromartie and bang, we have a defense. All of a sudden, we have 2 great defensive ends and a killer DT. Bunkley would finally reach his potential on that line and we could actually compete for a super bowl.
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I like Edwards but I love Charles Johnson from Carolina. I'd much rather have Johnson.
                  Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Johnson scares me because he's only had one really good year, when he's playing for a new contract. I don't trust guys like him. Johnson has the chance to be better than Edwards but Edwards is steady. You know what you're going to get from him.
                    FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                      Johnson scares me because he's only had one really good year, when he's playing for a new contract. I don't trust guys like him. Johnson has the chance to be better than Edwards but Edwards is steady. You know what you're going to get from him.
                      That's certainly a valid point Blitz. On the other hand, Johnson never got a chance to do much playing behind Peppers. He also rung up those numbers in his first fulltime season on a horsecrap defense while Edwards was a part of a pretty good one with stud DTs.
                      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

http://mcnabborkolb.com/post/7925614...-options-at-de

Who Are the Eagles’ Free Agent Options at DE?

Finally, we can see daylight.

Optimism abounds in the NFL world as the lockout looks to be in its final days. And that means free agency is just around the corner - possibly as soon as this weekend. In preparation for that, we should take a second look at some of the Eagles potential free agent targets.

As I said last week, I really think that defensive end will be the major priority, in light of Brandon Graham’s microfracture surgery. Cornerback is arguably a bigger hole to fill, but it seems likely that the position could be filled as part of the Kolb trade.

When looking at the Eagles defensive end targets, there are really three potential names that stand out:

Jason Babin - The most well known among Eagles fans, Babin had a mediocre season as a backup in 2009 in Philly. Since he was unproductive and already over 30, there wasn’t much discussion about keeping him around. Yet Babin went to the Titans and suddenly registered 12.5 sacks, more than his three previous seasons combined. Babin is definitely the least sexy acquisition the Eagles could make, due to his one-year wonder potential and advanced age.

Charles Johnson - Last year was a breakout year for Johnson, who took over as the primary pass rusher in Carolina after Julius Peppers jetted off to Chicago. Johnson is only 25, so he will require a bigger, long term investment than Babin. However, if he can sustain his production from last season, Johnson could be the solution long term.

Ray Edwards - At 26 and larger than the other two, Edwards could be an even better long term fit for Jim Washburn’s new scheme. Edwards has played second fiddle to Jared Allen in Minnesota for the last couple of years, but he’s been a consistent pass rush threat. The Vikings are not expected to match offers for him.

If you’ve followed the blog for awhile, you’ll know that I’m not a big fan the sacks stat (despite using it above). The truth is that the player can put pressure on the quarterback and get in his face, but ultimately there’s a lot of luck in actually achieving the sack. Sometimes one end gives all the pressure, but the quarterback escapes, right into the arms of a sedentary tackle.

Therefore, I tend to rank pass rushers by “negative plays,” or sacks plus hits plus pressures plus blocked passes. Then divide by the number of pass rushing opportunities, and you have a percentage, higher the better. (Pro Football Focus has a slightly different formula for the stat they calculate.)

As you can see, Trent Cole was the best pass rusher the Eagles had in 2010. But he actually scored lower on this statistic than both Edwards and Johnson. Adding either would probably be a big boost over the former production, assuming they fit Washburn’s system. Hopefully we’ll find out soon who the Eagles like best.

Comment

Ray Edwards benefited from playing next to the Williams duo and Jared Allen. He will be a Jayson Werth type mistake.
                          Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                          Playoff Appearances:
                          NFC Title Games:
                          Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
                            I'd much rather have Johnson.

Fresh and the rest of the cigar club are really happy to hear that! Your application is probably already in the male... I mean mail!
                            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

7/24/11 Update...

ESPN's John Clayton nominates the Seahawks as the favorites to sign free agent DE Ray Edwards.

Defensive end was a need position going into the draft, but the Seahawks came away empty-handed. Edwards is expected to go to the highest bidder, and Seattle boasts a deep-pocketed owner and plenty of salary cap room.

Comment

Working...
                              X