LB Corps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LB Corps

There has been plenty of talk about RCB and DE and even DT, but an overlooked area is our LB corps. Some questions for discussion (my answers below)

Do/should we re-sign Bradley?

*I say yes, he would be my MIKE

Does Chaney play WIL or MIKE?

*I think he pushes Bradley, but due to the short timing shifts to WIL

Can Bradley shift out to SAM?

*I say no, its been too long since he played that in college and he is better in the middle

Has Fokou shown enough at SAM to retain his job?

*I say yes, he would be my starting SAM

Will Clayton or Matthews or Lloyd push for a starting role?

*I think Clayton will push Chaney at WIL, but Chaney will win out. Matthews will assume the backup MIKE slot and Lloyd I am not sure

Are Gaither & Jordan gone as soon as the league year starts?

*Jordan for sure, Gaither probably due to roster space although the change to 90 does give him more of a chance

Are Sapp & Teo LB or DE?

*I think Teo is a DE, but Sapp is a hybrid and could see him as perhaps the backup SAM

What is Brian Rolle's value moving forward?

*He is 5'10" and 227 lbs, but played very well in college and may find a role as a S/LB hybrid in certain packages
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

assuming they add a stud corner and DE, and maybe Haynesworth too, I'm fine with who they have at linebacker, however it shakes out.

I dont see Chaney as a WIL
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
      assuming they add a stud corner and DE, and maybe Haynesworth too, I'm fine with who they have at linebacker, however it shakes out.

If we add AH and Johmson to our D line those LBs should get better in a hurry. But in all honesty, how can anybody be "fine" with our LBs? Our safties and LBs were absolutely horrid in the passing game last year.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post

Who would be then?
        Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I think they'll bring Bradley back at their own price but won't try to match higher bids. Chaney would be a perfectly suitable alternative there. Sims is likely history as a FA. Jordan didn't help his case with his arrest so I'll guess he's gone as well.

As I remember, Gaither wasn't all that special on special teams and that will have an impact on what second tier players stick.

With less "exotic" sub packages and roles expected with the new simplified D, like 3rd down coverage LBs or a DE/LB hybrid to play the mythical 'joker' package, guys like Sapp and Teo will have a tougher time carving out their niche and will struggle to find playing time unless they really step it up. The best thing they will have going for them is a grace period of another season since they were rookies and were injured (Sapp probably stashed on IR rather than practice squad).

Not sure, but thought I heard they were raising the number of players allowed on the practice squad. Anyone know? If so, it will buy some more time for the young fringe guys to develop.

If they want to shore up their odds at a SB run, they would do well to pick up a solid FA as a starter; they also have some latitude with shuffling positions to make a place for such a pick up.

Agree I'd rather see Bradley in the middle if he comes back. Chaney has promise there but coverage was never Bradley's strong point and teams took advantage of passing at him in the middle. It would be all the worse at SAM. An under the radar issue with him may be his concussion and the new head injury guidelines which can keep players out for a long time (same thing with Kolb - once a player gets a bad concussion it becomes easier to sustain subsequent ones).

Comment

IF they take a shot at an UDFA for the LB spot I'm hoping they go after Mark Herzlich from BC. He has a ton of upside (probably would have been a 1st rounder if he didn't get cancer) and as second chances go, this is the kind of second chance I would absolutely love to see! Rumors are that Baltimore is all over this kid but I'm hoping the Eagles take a shot with him and bring him in.
            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

They have alot of young talent at the position right now, Fokou, Chaney, Clayton,Mathews, Lloyd and Rolle are six talented players the issue they have is leadership. I read somewhere this morning the Eagles are very interestd in Paul Pozlusny. I think they are looking for a veteran linebacker to help bring these guys along.
              Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                IF they take a shot at an UDFA for the LB spot I'm hoping they go after Mark Herzlich from BC. He has a ton of upside (probably would have been a 1st rounder if he didn't get cancer) and as second chances go, this is the kind of second chance I would absolutely love to see! Rumors are that Baltimore is all over this kid but I'm hoping the Eagles take a shot with him and bring him in.
                Herzlich just signed with the Giants.

Comment

Damn it!! Now not only do I not get to cheer for the kid I automatically hate him!!
                  Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                  Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas View Post
                    Who would be then?

I think it's Clayton or maybe Rolle or someone they bring in, like Posluszny. But I see Lawlor thinks Chaney is a good WIL candidate, so who knows?
                    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Working...
                    X