Vick just stirred up a hornet's nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vick just stirred up a hornet's nest

I swear less than 5 minutes after I posted a reply to Fresh that I think Vick has convinced me that he's really changed, I find this story in the LA Times. It appears the up coming GQ article that already sparked the Cincinnati and Buffalo talk also has a lot of people thinking he's still trying to portray himself as a victim. Here's another reason the Phily fan base is going to have to endure ridicule...

Bill Plaschke: Don't be fooled by the 'new' Michael Vick

August 18, 2011 | 10:26

The NFL is back, and so is America’s favorite football villain, running the field, juking the world, boggling the mind. It’s still a Vick-eat-Vick world out there.

This time, Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick is destroying his image with his mouth, saying some things in an upcoming GQ magazine story that are far more stunning than last season’s 100.2 quarterback rating.

Barely two years after completing a 21-month prison sentence for dogfighting, Vick has apparently regained his swagger, not only on the field but also on the streets, where the perpetrator is recasting himself as the victim. He knows America’s sports fans have forgiven, now he wants them to completely forget because, really, what’s the big deal anyway?

"For a while it was all, 'Scold Mike Vick, scold Mike Vick, just talk bad about him like he’s not a person,' " Vick told the magazine. "It was almost as if everyone wanted to hate me. But what have I done to anybody? It was something that happened, and it was people trying to make some money."

What has he done to anybody? It was something that happened? It was people trying to make some money?

In looking at that quote, what is really criminal is how the Humane Society of the United States has jumped on the football bandwagon and has actually allowed him to participate in various campaigns. "Yeah, you got the family dog and the white picket fence and you just think that’s all there is," Vick told the magazine. "Some of us had to grow up in poverty-stricken urban neighborhoods and we just had to adapt to our environment. I know it’s wrong. But people act like it’s some crazy thing they never heard of. They don’t know."

Nice to see that Vick is still trying to rationalize his behavior at the expense of the millions of people in this country who don’t use their depressed economic status as an excuse to fight dogs.

"A lot of people got out of it after my situation, not because I went to prison but because it was sad for them to see me go through something so pointless, that could have been avoided," Vick told the magazine.

The only thing pointless, it seems, is continuing to think that Michael Vick’s renewal on the football field has led to a reinvention of his character. It hasn’t. It won’t. America needs to stop believing.

The only real news in the GQ story was Vick’s claim that he could have signed and started for the Cincinnati Bengals or Buffalo Bills, yet the NFL steered him toward a backup role in Philadelphia so his comeback would be slower and quieter.

Some say fans in those first two cities should be outraged. I say they should be thankful.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...fl-eagles.html
    Last edited by Jukin; 08-18-2011, 02:58 PM.
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

great

Comment

Why am I not upset by this? He had an opportunity to be a starter at the other two locations. Who can blame him for wanting that?

Media trying to stir things up by creating a mountain out of a molehill!
      "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Damn...Just setting aside opinions, how pissed would you be if you went to the Sporting News to do an interview thinking it was just another in a long line of interviews, only to have them create a HUGE story out of it.

Then again...HE's the one who said those things, so I guess I can't blame TSN for making a story when there was one for making, but still.

Comment

Saying that he hasn't changed is "just an opinion" as well. Smells like a witch hunt being stirred up by someone with some deep seated jealousy, to me. Now, let's take a hard look at this quote Bill is so outraged by:

"For a while it was all, 'Scold Mike Vick, scold Mike Vick, just talk bad about him like he’s not a person,' " Vick told the magazine. "It was almost as if everyone wanted to hate me. But what have I done to anybody? It was something that happened, and it was people trying to make some money."

Personally, I don't read anything there that surprises me. I am sure Vick felt like he was being attacked from all quarters(by persons he did not himself DIRECTLY attack or hurt) when he first emerged from prison. To an extent, he STILL IS. He still faces protesters and antagonists to this day when he attends functions as a proponent of stopping dog fighting. As for the money thing.....seems to me that I suggested that very thing recently myself when discussing these protesters with nothing better to do in the middle of a work day than to go and harass Mike Vick. There are a lot of self-important "causes" people out there who need to get a fucking life of their own.

The next part about the white picket fence goes to Mike's frustration at not understanding that he came from a very different place than many of these people condemning and cursing him. I get that too, don't you?

And the last part I suspect is accurate as well. i am sure many people DID get out of it, not because they learned that it was wrong, but because they could be severly punished if they didn't. Again, revelation? I think not.

I have no doubt that his comments will be twisted and turned by many haters over the coming weeks to paint Vick in the worst possible light. Prepare yourselves. But THINK for yourself.
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Oh, and it just figures this sort of spiteful, jealous bleeding heart trash would come out of the "LA Times." Anyone surprised by that, either?

Things like this just help me to know that he earth is still spinning on it's axis.
            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

A big who cares from me on this (related to the GQ article, not the post by Jukin). Just a writer trying to create controversy around the team that has a bullseye on it.

Comment

Why in the world does he talk to the press? I'm still scratching my head to see what was so bad about what he said. I think he got ambushed here.
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                  Why in the world does he talk to the press? I'm still scratching my head to see what was so bad about what he said. I think he got ambushed here.
                  Eagles PR department needs to do a better job here of keeping him off limits to the press.

Comment

THIS.

For God's sake, Mike. Don't you get it? Some people will never, ever, ever forgive you for hurting those dogs. EVER. No matter what you do, or what you say, or what you accomplish in life from here on out. You could bring about world peace, discover cold fusion, and find a cure for cancer, and you will still be Mike Vick the dog killer. You've got a big assed bull's eye on your back for the rest of your life, and the best thing you can do is to continue your work, and STFU with the media. Please.

Comment

If other people still have a problem with Vick, that's their problem, and I think that's pretty much Vick's opinion too I would imagine. He didn't say anything wrong or even controversial imo. I dont think he should stop talking to the media either unless he starts talking like a fool...so far he hasn't done that. If he does stop talking to the media, those same people will come up with some reason to bash him over not talking. He's just not going to win in some peoples eye weather he's not talking to the media, or is talking and says something that isn't a big deal. He's gonna get ripped by somebody. Just the way it is unfortunately...

Haters gonna hate, no matter what. They will always find a reason, and dig deep to do it if it's not something obvious. Nothing to see here...Lets play some football!!
                      Theo

Bleedin Green in 117!!

Trey Wingo is still a geek!!

Comment

I still remember when we signed him I was dissapointed and nobody thought he'd be anything again

now that he is good this comes up and people start talking about collusion and how the poor Bills and Bengals got screwed?

come on!

this is a non story in my mind

Comment

I bet you Bengals and Bills fans/front officer were saying "Thank God we didn't get that headache!" when Vick was being picketed. F em.

By the way, if Vince Young was smarter and could put 2 and 2 together, he'd be upset at the jab Vick took about being a 3rd string QB.
                          Last edited by sfphillyfan; 08-18-2011, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I agree 100%, Eagle60! Not to imply any sinister motives, after all journalists have a job to do as well. But, c'mon Mike! Did you need to say anything about that part of your journey back? Everything is on the up-and-up with your fortunes now. Re-hashing this now is akin to crapping on your own carpet after having it cleaned! Cast a wary eye at journalists from now on! (To the press: changing subjects...Uh...Hey, how 'bout them 'Canes?!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Theo View Post
                              If other people still have a problem with Vick, that's their problem, and I think that's pretty much Vick's opinion too I would imagine. He didn't say anything wrong or even controversial imo. I dont think he should stop talking to the media either unless he starts talking like a fool...so far he hasn't done that. If he does stop talking to the media, those same people will come up with some reason to bash him over not talking. He's just not going to win in some peoples eye weather he's not talking to the media, or is talking and says something that isn't a big deal. He's gonna get ripped by somebody. Just the way it is unfortunately...

Haters gonna hate, no matter what. They will always find a reason, and dig deep to do it if it's not something obvious. Nothing to see here...Lets play some football!!
                              I have to agree with this too.

Comment

Working...
                              X