Suprise, surprise............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suprise, surprise............

LBs are still a joke. And why is Chaney the MLB on third Down? Does this mean Matthews is supposed to be some kind of run stuffer? Unless you're dreaming of swiss cheese this defense looks all too familiar.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I'm glad this happened, Popper. This is a wake up call and a half. Hope it is heard. We were about to sleep walk into the season thinking everything was hunky dory.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
      I'm glad this happened, Popper. This is a wake up call and a half. Hope it is heard. We were about to sleep walk into the season thinking everything was hunky dory.

For sure Bud. I don't know what to think after this garbage. The D line looked good for the most part.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I suspected there are going to be growing pains on some units... was thinking there may be some ugly early-season games where we are trying to mesh. And maybe a punting/kicking meltdown at some bad times too. Just hoping we can gel during the season, and win enough to get to the playoffs, and be on a roll once we get there.

Still, glad this happened during preseason... should have lots of stuff to work on this week.

Comment

Center of the D (MLB, safeties) were horrible. Rest of the D played well.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
            LBs are still a joke.

Linebackers!? Linebackers!? We don't need no more stinkin' linebackers! We got Casey Mathews! His hair is even longer than his brothers!

Comment

Comment

Wake me when the real games start. Fans put way too much emphasis on meaningless games.
                FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                  Wake me when the real games start. Fans put way too much emphasis on meaningless games.
                  Yep, the Negadelphians are in their glory this a.m.
                  Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

Hey, like I said I'm glad. This should put to rest all of that nonsensical Dream Team crap and the chest thumping superiority crap that I have been seeing WAAAAY too much of for this team that has yet to take the field in a meaningful contest.

I was growing tired of hearing about how great this team was going to be with all of it's new additions, and what a great coach Castillo is and how stacked we are, and how all of these guys who are cut from the Eagles will be starters on other teams...blah,blah, blah....... I might have even been buying into some of it myself. Shame, shame on me.

I think this could be a damned good team, but we have a LOT of work to do.
                    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Listening to Andy Reid post game, he said the most honest thing I think I have heard come out of his mouth...... "We all stunk tonight".

Bingo! Dead nuts on!

Now, Fix it!

Comment

Fresh I really, REALLY hope you're right buddy. Somehow though, Andy's history of ignoring the obvious holes and weakness which come back to cost us later, won't let me agree with you. I think the fact that Patterson and Dixon were out last night and the fact that they are both good run stoppers will serve as a little self-denial for Andy and Juan and let them think that the play last night was somehow excusable. I've been saying it for a month now, the LBs are going to decide our future by allowing or denying short gains over the middle to become big gains. Now with the defensive line being spread out their play at filling the gaps is also being questioned. I think we need to sign someone with experience and a good proven history at tackling and sign them fast! I'm still wishing they had signed Stephen Tullogh who I thought was a perfect fit for what we have now. Not sure who's left out there but I really hope Howie is talking to several agents before lunch today!!
                        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Juk, I'm not going to panic here. But, some things are fixable in the short term...while some things may not be.

I think we need to get Mathews out of the middle and put Chaney there if not a vet. Very little time for a FA vet to get in here and learn anything about our defense before the season begins. I think I would move Keenan up to fill Chaney's spot, maybe sign a vet for additional stability and roll with it. The only thing that might stop Andy and Co from pulling a switch on the Mathews-experiment is pride.

The DL, I am not that worried about. We are missing some key guys there, have some new pieces working there way in under a new line coach/system, and they HAVE shown some flashes of being formidable. This is a proven system, and Wash will make it work.

The secondary.....umm, there is PLENTY of talent there, including at safety, to make me comfortable. If they looked confused and out of position last night, I blame that on........you guessed it. I won't even say it. As Mr Myagi said "No such thing as bad student, only bad teacher".

OK, now I HAVE to say it to get to the area that IS of my greatest concern. Castillo's defense. I fear that Juan is going to be overmatched by good offensive coordinators, and I don't know if he even has a clue how to adjust and fix the breakdowns and blind spots in his system. Especially on-the-fly. Same concern I have had all offseason. Last night was just a visual confirmation of my mental nightmares. Anybody want to think about what Manning or Brady might do to this defese? <shudder>

Comment

Originally posted by phillychuck View Post
                            Center of the D (MLB, safeties) were horrible. Rest of the D played well.
                            When you play a wide 9, the center of the field is more open than usual and you'd better have some forceful players there who can operate in space and make plays.

I'm a little dumbounded by Matthews. Time to move Chaney back to the MIKE.

Fresh, I agree with you. Castillo is a major concern. Already he has moved several guys out of their natural positions (Allen, Chaney). Allen in particular struggled last night. Chaney he moved so he could accomodate a guy in Matthews who appears to have bloodlines, but nothing else. He is Simoneau with long hair, IMO.

And I know it's preseason where everything is vanilla, but damn those blitzes looked easy to read last night.
                            Last edited by Leonard Tose; 08-19-2011, 08:02 AM.
                            Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

To quote Fresh:
                              The only thing that might stop Andy and Co from pulling a switch on the Mathews-experiment is pride.

Unfortunately, we've seen it too often before. What I call 'The Smartest Guys in the Room' syndrome...the FO making personnel moves that left us scratching our heads because they were both so unorthodox and seemingly risky.

Cutting Bradley and simply anointing the grossly undersized and totally inexperienced Mathews fits the mold perfectly. And perhaps an even more striking and potentially ruinous example of this We're So Smart arrogance is the Castillo to DC experiment.

The Mathews gamble is, to some extent, correctable. But this is not so if the new DC is completely out of his depth. At least not this season.

Maybe sometimes AR and Co. would be wise to pay attention when a chorus of outsiders ask 'Are they REALLY going to do that?'

Comment

Working...
                              X