Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaws-slow start for Birds

Jaws: Don't expect fast start from Eagles

The Eagles open with consecutive road games for the first time since 2002, and this might be the least likely year for them to want that situation.

The Birds travel to St. Louis on Sept. 11 and then play a Sunday night game in Atlanta on Sept. 18. The team already has been prepping for the noise inside those domes, practicing indoors on one of the nicest days of the summer earlier this week.

"I would be very surprised," Ron Jaworski said today during an ESPN conference call, when asked if the Eagles would be able to get out quickly. "I know the term Dream Team has been mentioned. The Eagles organization despised that word. They know it is going to be difficult with zero OTAs and rookies not getting their playbook and veterans that were signed not getting their playbooks … I think it is going to be difficult to get off to a fast start. Teams that have stability in their coaching staffs and players are going to be the teams to beat this year."

With the new players and a virtually entirely new coaching staff on defense, Jaworski said the Eagles will need some time to succeed.

There is no doubt, when you look at Philadelphia, they have an incredible assembly of talent on their team right now," Jaworski said. "However, that being said, they also have had in incredible changes on their coaching staff … It takes time for a team to develop that chemistry that is so important. The Eagles have spent $200 million procuring talent, but we just don’t know how quickly it will come together, or if it ever comes together. There is certainly a lot of unknowns even if you have talent. Football is a consummate team game."

Added Jon Gruden: "Philadelphia went crazy. They’ve added a great corner and trading for another. I don’t know if they are the Dream Team, but they did make some eye-opening offseason additions."

To read our earlier post, click here.

Posted by Daily News staff @ 1:45 PM Permalink
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Jaws' analysis is right-on. We're going to struggle early because we have so many new players and several big changes on our OL (especially the two rookies). But, as he has proved so many times in the past, Reid's teams normally improve as the season progresses. So, "we should be fine there."
    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

I'll be OK with 1-1 after the first 2 games, figuring they're more likely to lose in Atlanta.
      (The thought of losing to any team in Atlanta makes me cringe!)

Comment

Just as long as we beat the Giants in week 3!
        "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
          The Eagles CB's might have more receptions than the Giants Wr's the way Eli looks in the pre season.
          Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
            Fuck the Giants!!!!!

Comment

If we are 2-1 going into week 3 I will be OK with that.
              You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                If we are 2-1 going into week 3 I will be OK with that.
                You're "OK" with that? Personally, I'll be squirting in my pants. The Rams and ATLANTA on the road, and then the Giants. Be real here AW.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                  You're "OK" with that? Personally, I'll be squirting in my pants. The Rams and ATLANTA on the road, and then the Giants. Be real here AW.
                  I've been trying not to think about those first 3 games. You know what's going to happen, don't you? They are going to be 1-2 after Week #3, and the radio, newspapers and everyone around us is going to be more unbearable than anything we've ever experienced.

Comment

I expect a slow sloppy start, but believe we could still be 3-0

However, it's such a long season that 1-2 would not be a huge deal

Btw, I fully expect the Giants patented fast start and late season collapse

Comment

The birds play their best on the road for some reason...don't know why. We will beat the Rams week one then split the Giants/Falcons IMO.

Seriously, the Rams offense will not move the ball. Their receivers are just OK and Stephen Jackson is good but not what he once was. They are not going to slow down this offense IMO.

Eagles 34, Rams 17
                      Falcons 24, Eagles 21
                      Eagles 143, Giants -7
                      You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I agree with Jaws also...definitely expect some uneven play early, but that is the soft part of our schedule so we need to push through and come up at least 4-2 in those first 6 games...if we are 2-4 or 3-3 the season is going to be a real grind fest.
                        Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I could see this team being 2-4 going into the Bye, then ripping off a win streak and still be 10-6 by the end of the year. It really depends on the offensive line. If the offense can't get out to quick starts in games, we are going to struggle to win games. The Eagles are not equipped to stop a strong running/short passing attack that grinds up time on the clock
                          Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

The Eagles always have a game or two where they lay an egg. Look back over the last few years. There are one or two games on the schedule we say "how did we ever loose that game". last year it was Minny, year before Cinn. I am just hoping we have taht game early in the year and are on a roll by the bye week.

Comment

Why wouldn't other teams struggle with rookies and new acquisitions as well? I'm not sure i understand this line of thought.
                              Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                              Playoff Appearances:
                              NFC Title Games:
                              Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Working...
                              X