Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/04/11: Eagles claim OG Kyle DeVan off waivers from Colts

...and release DT Cedric Thornton.

FYI...DeVan started for the Colts at RG in Super Bowl XLIV.

Comment

Anyone have Devan in the roster thread ? You get a million bonus points
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...edric-thornton

Eagles Claim OG Kyle DeVan, Release DT Cedric Thornton

After the Eagles finished their roster cuts last night, they were left with only nine offensive linemen on the active roster. Now, they'll have an even ten. The team has just announced that they have claimed former Colts right guard Kyle DeVan off of waivers. To make room for him, the Eagles released undrafted rookie Cedric Thornton.

Meant as a depth signing, the 26 year old DeVan brings 21 games' worth of starting experience to the offensive line. He and Howard Mudd were together in Indianapolis during the 2009 season, so DeVan's familiarity with Mudd's schemes will certainly help.

Comment

Eagles acquire DeVan; could challenge Watkins

http://www.csnphilly.com/09/04/11/Ea...116&feedID=692

Eagles acquire DeVan; could challenge Watkins
          Reuben Frank

The Eagles were awarded one-time Super Bowl starter Kyle DeVan, a fourth-year interior lineman, on waivers from the Colts Saturday.
          DeVan, 6-foot-2, 295 pounds, started nine regular-season games and the entire postseason up through the Super Bowl for the Colts in 2009 at right guard under current Eagles offensive line coach Howard Mudd. The Colts lost to the Saints 35-17 in Super Bowl XLIV in Miami.

DeVan, undrafted out of Oregon State, had brief stints with the Redskins and Jets in 2008 before signing with the Colts in 2009. DeVan has also had stints recently with the Boise Burn of Arena2 and substitute teaching in California.

By claiming DeVan, the Eagles pick up his Colts contract, which pays him $525,000 this year with no bonus money. He’s scheduled to be an exclusive rights free agent after the season.

In DeVan, the Eagles get another insurance policy in the event that rookie first-round pick Danny Watkins is unable to hold onto the job.

To make room on the 53-man roster for DeVan, the Eagles released undrafted rookie defensive tackle Cedric Thornton, who is a candidate for the practice squad if he clears waivers.

Comment

DeVan and Trevor Laws actually wrestled against each other in HS. DeVan says Laws beat him by a point, but he had a take down at the end that they didn't count. "Total homer call."

Comment

Don't know if this means anything but Danny Watkins wouldn't talk to the media post-game, and wouldn't talk today either. Hmmmm. Sounds like Danny's in the typical Philly-media adjustment period.

Comment

Rueben Frank reported that Watkins changed his mind and did come back to his locker to talk.

Comment

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2011/09...ladelphia.html

DeVan just happy to be in Philadelphia
                  By BOB FORD - The Philadelphia Inquirer

Monday, Sep. 05, 2011

The NFL regular season must be getting close, because there is suddenly extra space to maneuver in the Eagles' locker room at the NovaCare Complex. The temporary lockers that are wheeled into the middle of the long room to accommodate the overflow of a training camp roster are being wheeled out gradually, and the cubbies that remain are increasingly vacant, like abandoned purple martin houses after the fall migration.
                  The final cut-down weekend removed 18 players from the roster, including defensive tackle Cedric Thornton, who suffered the cruelest cut of all, making it safely through Saturday's deletions only to get the unwanted phone call Sunday. Even a Monday addition to the practice squad could barely ease the pain.

For every sad story and every empty locker, however, there is a counterbalance somewhere in the room. For every Daniel Te'O-Nesheim, there is a Phillip Hunt. For every Mike McGlynn, there is a Jason Kelce. And standing near the middle of the room was the newest player, Kyle DeVan, a veteran guard whose unexpected availability ended Thornton's brief reprieve.

DeVan, entering his third NFL season, was cut by Indianapolis on Saturday. A little after noon on Sunday, he was offered a contract by the Eagles. By early evening he was on a plane to Philadelphia, and at 6:30 a.m. Monday he walked into the NovaCare Complex for the first time.

"I thought I was going to stay in Indianapolis and be part of the team, then everything's taken away from you," DeVan said. "You kind of sit around for a couple of hours and then you say, 'I got to move on. I got to find another team. I got to find something to do.' It was a tough time, but I'm happy to be here."

By some strange twist of either fate or karma, DeVan landed the locker next to defensive tackle Trevor Laws, against whom he wrestled a titanic heavyweight match in high school, the actual outcome of which the two men have debated for more than eight years.

"Hopefully, we don't get in another wrestling match," DeVan said.

What DeVan might have taken on, however, is a serious competition for playing time. He worked under offensive line coach Howard Mudd with the Colts in 2009 and knows Mudd's quirky system of blocking techniques and his overall scheme. There is little question DeVan is here because Mudd knows what he can give the Eagles, and because there is still some uncertainty about the starters currently in place.

Veteran Evan Mathis is the left guard, and he has been solid enough that the Eagles moved Todd Herremans from that position to plug a yawning void at right tackle. At right guard, however, rookie Danny Watkins hasn't inspired much confidence. DeVan might be merely an insurance policy, or he could work himself into the regular rotation. Either way, hooking on at the last moment in the NFL is nothing new for him.

DeVan was undrafted out of Oregon State, and was eventually cut once by the Redskins and three times by the Jets without ever making it into uniform. He was a substitute teacher back home in Vaca ville, Calif. before hooking on with the Boise Burn of the af2 arena league, playing for $250 per game if the team won and $200 if the team lost.

He got an April 2009 tryout with the Colts, and Mudd liked what he saw then - a tough, agile guard who fit the team's aggressive style on the offensive line. From there, DeVan beat out Mike Pollak, a former second-round pick, for the right guard job, and, less than 10 months after his last substitute-teaching gig, DeVan was playing in the Super Bowl.

Once you make that kind of leap, nothing seems impossible.

"I'm not worried about whether I'm taking reps with the ones, twos, or threes," said DeVan, who practiced Monday with the second-string scout team. "It's about learning the offensive playbook and the way they do things here. The quicker I do that, the quicker I can worry about playing time. As soon as I get the playbook down, we'll see what happens."

Meanwhile, he has to stay patient as Laws once again recounts the 2003 high school wrestling match in which Laws, the No. 1-ranked heavyweight in the nation, outpointed No. 4-ranked DeVan, 3-2, in a clash of the titans on Laws' home turf in Minnesota.

"Time was running down and I started going after him," DeVan said. "I took him down and we were on the edge of the mat. I thought I got the takedown, but the ref didn't call it. I've told him every time I've seen him since, it was a homer call."

"We were in Minnesota, that's true," Laws said. "But he only had one leg, didn't climb the waist, didn't cut to the double. Anyone who knows the rules, that's no two (points). ... He's been trash- talking the whole time, saying it was two. It was not two."

Maybe they can finally get this sorted out, now that their lockers are adjacent. Perhaps even a spontaneous rematch some afternoon after banging heads during practice.

That would be fine with DeVan, who is happy to be here, happy to be anywhere. On the Monday after cut-down day, it's nice just to have a locker. DeVan's arrival was so fresh the team hadn't even fashioned a nameplate for him. Above his locker, a generic plate read Philadelphia Eagles. That was all right with him. A lot of other players would take that deal this week, too.

Comment

They had to do this. Watkins looks like his head is swimming, he's admitted as much, and he needs more time to acclimate to the pro game. DeVan is there in case Watkins continues to falter.
                    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
                      They had to do this. Watkins looks like his head is swimming, he's admitted as much, and he needs more time to acclimate to the pro game. DeVan is there in case Watkins continues to falter.
                      I thought they needed a backup guard who wasn't a rookie, but I think being able to get someone who was a starter (9 games) under Mudd just two years ago made it a no-brainer. He's actually younger than Watkins too.

Comment

Watkins says "transition has been overwhelming" to NFL:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-overwhelming/

Comment

I don't know if this new kid is any good or not, but at least it shows that Mudd may realize Watkins isn't ready yet. But this new guy is basically a stiff too, so what does it matter? I've got the feeling Jackson might be playing the second half Sunday.
                          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

So the real problem with Danny Watkins is that he was billed as an immediate pro ready guy. He is 40 years old - you don't draft an old man to come in and take time. If he wasn't a can't miss - legit - start right away guy - it was a bad pick.

So yes - it's unfair to label him a bust and not give him a shot - but the Eagles FO should be chastised for using a 1st round pick on a guy this old - who is no more ready than a 22 year old would be.
                            Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                            Playoff Appearances:
                            NFC Title Games:
                            Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY View Post
                              So the real problem with Danny Watkins is that he was billed as an immediate pro ready guy. He is 40 years old - you don't draft an old man to come in and take time. If he wasn't a can't miss - legit - start right away guy - it was a bad pick.

So yes - it's unfair to label him a bust and not give him a shot - but the Eagles FO should be chastised for using a 1st round pick on a guy this old - who is no more ready than a 22 year old would be.
                              Agreed.
                              "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Working...
                              X