Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Random Thread (when you just don't feel like starting a thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just when I thought it was safe to turn on NBC again...that with interminable gymnastics and beach volleyball finally over and with track and field events in full swing, we'd get some good programing. But Nooooo!

For the last 2 days we've gotten some useless abortion called 'rhythmic gymnastics'. The women are more attractive, but otherwise all I can say is 'Get the fuck out of here!' Is there nothing too fucking inane and unathletic to qualify as an Olympic Sport?

That said, the legs on some of these women are spectacular.

Comment

• Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
      you know what? we need some good news around here.

My daughter is expecting her first baby.

Between step grandkids, my wife's grandkid and my other daughter's children this will make 8.

Comment

• mazel tov!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jukin View Post

NASA DOESN'T WANT YOU TO SEE THIS!!!
          This is the original image as sent from the Mars Rover 'Curiosity'
          LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

• Spent last week in Chicago and I have to say I'm damned impressed! I was there once before in January of '85 (school trip to study architecture) and obviously Chicago in January doesn't lend itself to spending a lot of time outdoors. This trip was the opposite - couldn't have been better! Wish I had been able tot take in a Cubs game at Wrigley but other than that it was pretty fantastic! I definitely recommend a summer trip to Chi-town for anyone who hasn't been there.
            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

• Sorry about this, but I simply don't have words to describe the mixed feelings of nausea and amazement that anyone could possibly leave their home thinking this looked good....

Comment

• Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                You philly guys, do you remember a variation of wall ball growing up called suicide and homicide?
                I remember that! Got beaned right between the shoulder blades once, and it felt like someone dropped a hot coal down the back of my shirt! I was around 12.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
                  I remember that! Got beaned right between the shoulder blades once, and it felt like someone dropped a hot coal down the back of my shirt! I was around 12.
                  thank god someone else remembered it and it wasn't just me.

@jukin - the military should find out who made those shorts. Seems to me the buttons are indestructible.

Comment

• You're right Vin. Seriously if ever there was a call for a moo-moo that's it!!

Comment

• Morbid curiousity make me want to know how in the FFFFF she got into those?????? They don't make shoehorns that big!
                      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Spent last week in Chicago and I have to say I'm damned impressed! I was there once before in January of '85 (school trip to study architecture) and obviously Chicago in January doesn't lend itself to spending a lot of time outdoors. This trip was the opposite - couldn't have been better! Wish I had been able tot take in a Cubs game at Wrigley but other than that it was pretty fantastic! I definitely recommend a summer trip to Chi-town for anyone who hasn't been there.
                        I've traveled a fair amount in the US but, like you, have only been in Chicago in the winter. Chicago has different kind of cold...much more harsh than upstate NY even though our temps get much lower.

Seriously, what would you say are the 2 or 3 things that stand out in the very favorable impression you formed? (I'm guessing it wasn't the woman in denim shorts...who, BTW, should be euthanized immediately)

Comment

Sorry about this, but I simply don't have words to describe the mixed feelings of nausea and amazement that anyone could possibly leave their home thinking this looked good....

Juke - the only thing worse than this is someone really horny for it

The best is reading the article and comments.

http://philly.barstoolsports.com/aro...e-in-sea-isle/

Comment

• I'm guessing he lost his watch or car keys in there somewhere.......

Comment

• tino-

A few things that I really enjoyed about Chicago were (in no particular order)
                              • The people were very knowledgeable about the city and it's history and architecture. I did multiple tours through different venues and each told slightly different versions of the history and development of the buildings but generally the major points were accurate.
                              • Very pedestrian friendly city. We ended up walking nearly everywhere (with a 5 year old that's not easy!) and we found that we could get around very easily. In part because it has....
                              • Excellent public transportation. We went from the airport to our hotel on the magnificent mile using the subway and found it very easy to negotiate, clean and the other riders generally friendly and helpful. One of the things that really impressed me is extremely simple - great signage! The subway platforms show a map of the train line with arrows pointing to destinations so you immediately know which side your train is going to be on. Some stations also had photographs of the intersections above, taken at street level with signage showing which way was north/south etc. so you had a sense of which way you needed to walk when you got to the street. It sounds stupid but it really is useful when you don't know the city. This kind of simple signage made it easy for someone who isn't a regular rider to have a pretty good feel for the trains.
                              • The city is very clean and feels safe - even late at night. As I said we walked everywhere and found ourselves walking from Navy Pier to our hotel close to midnight. This requires that you walk through a tunnel near Lake Michigan in order to cross under Lakeshore Drive. Even at that hour it felt safe which is surprising because Chicago is one of the most crime ridden cities in the Country. The walks were well lit, we saw a lot of policemen and there was a lot of activity and families walking the same paths. I suspect that they put additional police int he tourist areas and have harsher sentences for crimes committed in tourist areas (as many cities now do in order to protect the tourism industry). Regardless my wife felt safe pretty much everywhere we went.
                              • Great use of the waterfront. There's obviously a lot of waterfront in Chicago and they do a good job of activating it in multiple ways. From Navy Pier (which is a family oriented waterfront with a carousel, Ferris wheel, restaurants, bars, museums etc.) to Millennium Park which is more of a traditional park with public art and museums. It's easy to walk between them (given 2 hours like we did) or ride a bike on the bike paths. They do a very good job separating bike and running paths from the car lanes.

These are all areas where I think Philadelphia falls short. I was surprised at just how well Chicago was able to develop their waterfront given the fact that they face a similar problem that has prevented Philly from developing ours -- namely the fact that Lakeshore drive separates Chicago from the water the same way that I-95 separates Philadelphia from the Delaware river. Chicago has a bit more width to work with than Philadelphia has and I've seen plans that call for the city to create a tunnel for 95 in the South Street area to allow a pedestrian friendly plaza that will begin to activate the waterfront. Of course that would cost a small fortune that the city just doesn't have and likely never will have! Chicago managed to pull it off successfully so hopefully we'll get this resolved soon too. With a bit of cleaning, extra police presence and some simple signage we can start to give visitors the same sense of enjoyment when they visit that I had in Chicago.

Comment

• Juk,

Thanks! Very enlightening.

I'd heard Chicago was kept pretty clean (that takes some civic pride by the locals) and I assumed the lake front was a draw. But the good public trans and feeling of safety, even at night, was a surprise.

I notice no mention of food. Whenever I think of Chicago cuisine my mind goes to the SNL skits where Da Bears fans are consuming cholesterol laden, heart attack specials while they worship all things Mike Ditka.

Comment

Working...
                                X