So why did we sign Vince Young again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So why did we sign Vince Young again?

He's been useless on the field and off the field...

DALLAS (AP)—Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Vince Young(notes) is being sued by a Dallas strip club manager he allegedly punched in the face last year.

Creiton Kinchen claims in a lawsuit filed in a Dallas court Tuesday that the 28-year-old Houston native and former University of Texas star hit him “suddenly and without provocation” at the club.

Kinchen, a manager at Club Onyx in Dallas, says he refused to convert $8,000 off Young’s credit card into single dollar bills for tip money.

Kinchen says Young was drunk at the time of the June 12, 2010, scuffle. Young was cited for misdemeanor assault. He has said that he was provoked and “made a mistake even being there.”

Because Andy's boy got caught with drugs.
    FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Pretty much, yep.
      "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
      — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
      - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Or Steve Smith, or Ronnie Brown........

DREAM TEAM!!!
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
          Or Steve Smith, or Ronnie Brown........

DREAM TEAM!!!
          Maybe Asante has a point. (If you hadn't heard, today he made it very clear that he thinks Joe and Howie are playing fantasy football with the owner's money.) If they had just been content with Kafka as the #2, and not wasted money on Smith and Brown......3 skill position players (fantasy football anyone?), and invested that money in a real linebacker and/or safety. Wonder how different things would be right now?

Still, I can't blame them for Brown. He came at a serious discount, and I think we all agreed at the time they needed a back-up RB. Young and Smith, however, were just dumb purchases.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
            Maybe Asante has a point. (If you hadn't heard, today he made it very clear that he thinks Joe and Howie are playing fantasy football with the owner's money.) If they had just been content with Kafka as the #2, and not wasted money on Smith and Brown......3 skill position players (fantasy football anyone?), and invested that money in a real linebacker and/or safety. Wonder how different things would be right now?

Still, I can't blame them for Brown. He came at a serious discount, and I think we all agreed at the time they needed a back-up RB. Young and Smith, however, were just dumb purchases.
            link?

Comment

We all agreed with Brown, and VY is a winner on the field who might yet be usefull. Smith was and still is a headscratcher. I don't know what Samuel said, but I'm sure it was just sour grapes for the most part. BTW, I don't blame him. It's tough playing while knowing the team doesn't really want you. I know he makes a ton of dough, but it still has to eat at him. He knows he's gone, yet he's still got to be part of the team. It's a tough spot.
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                link?
                See my thread on Samuel, Joe and Howie for the link to Rueben Frank's piece including some sharp criticisms from Asante.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                  We all agreed with Brown, and VY is a winner on the field who might yet be usefull. Smith was and still is a headscratcher. I don't know what Samuel said, but I'm sure it was just sour grapes for the most part. BTW, I don't blame him. It's tough playing while knowing the team doesn't really want you. I know he makes a ton of dough, but it still has to eat at him. He knows he's gone, yet he's still got to be part of the team. It's a tough spot.
                  Agree. Coulda saw this coming from a mile away. This is why the Eagles should have moved him at the beginning of the season, instead of trying to figure out how to use all three CBs. Or perhaps the FO should have passed on Asomugha? I would have preferred the former, FWIW. Hindsight is 20/20, indeed. Any deal during the coming offseason will not net nearly as much as what the team could have recovered had theyn moved him way sooner.
                  Last edited by ThoughtProcess; 10-27-2011, 01:22 AM.

Comment

I liked all of the moves when they were made. Not sure I liked the personalities (yes I mean more than 1) of VY, but, as a backup, he is what you look for.

VY was a proven winner with somewhat eh same skill set as the starter. Kafka was still a question mark and Reid never goes into the season without a proven backup. Yes, he is a nutcase and not the sharpest tool in the shed, but can he help win games when/if Vick gets hurt. I’d like to think so.

Brown appears to have attitude issues and very little left in the tank. I’d have preferred a different back-up. But, who’d have thought Lewis would play as well as he has too. It is nice to have a veteran back-up for McCoy that, until now, was a decent runner.

Smith may make the most sense to me. He is a good slot receiver, Djax is usually hurt a game or two, We could inflict a little pain on the Giants and he is the 5th WR. What 5th WR plays much anyway. He gets a year in the system to learn and get healthy and can hit the ground running next year. I think this signing is also an indication about how we feel towards resigning Djax. I think Smith will stick and be an asset next year.

Now, looking back at how injuries have worked out and people have not lived up to the hype, we probably should have spent differently. LB, Oline and Safety would have been a focus, but we don’t have a lot wrapped up in the three guys above that could have been redistributed.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                      link?
                      http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...-asante-samuel

"A couple people upstairs might not want me, but who cares. They probably never played football," Samuel said. "It's a business, they run it like a business, so they're going to do what they need to do. So they're upstairs playing with a lot of money, playing a little fantasy football, so they're doing their thing."

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post

To be fair, Brown was considered a great signing since we needed a back up RB at the time. Also regarding Smith, you have to remember that Jackson was holding out for anew deal and Smith was thought to be a player who would compliment the offense since he had similar skills (although not the speed) of Jackson. He was a little leverage to help pressure DJ to get his ass into camp. at the time I think almost everyone here was happy with the moves. Young I never liked but as most others I thought we needed a back up and while I'm not a VY fan I thought he was a decent pick up for a short term sub if/when Vick got hurt.

Put in the context of when the moves were made I think they are about as good as we could have hoped for at the time. In retrospect we weren't as bad in those areas as we thought but we were as bad as we feared at LB and S. Too bad Andy and Co. agreed with us on the wrong issue!!
                        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

It's not the signings they made that are the issue. I pretty much agreed with everything they did in the offseason, and I applauded them for being agressive, and getting players that I felt would help the team.

It's the positions they didn't address that have come back to bite them on the ass that are the issue here.

Joe and Howie should have played a little fantasy football at the LBer and Safety positions too.

Comment

It's hard to second guess any of the signings EXCEPT Vince Young. We didn't need him at all. it's not like he wouldve been a savior if Vick went down. Without Vick, we would be terrible anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                              It's not the signings they made that are the issue. I pretty much agreed with everything they did in the offseason, and I applauded them for being agressive, and getting players that I felt would help the team.

It's the positions they didn't address that have come back to bite them on the ass that are the issue here.

Joe and Howie should have played a little fantasy football at the LBer and Safety positions too.
                              Especially LB. Safetynneeds work, butngoing into the season with Mathews as our PLAN was simply assanine.
                              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Working...
                              X