The Andy Reid Fan Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Andy Reid Fan Club

"If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it"

I'm fairly sure I'm in the minority here but I don't want Andy Reid to be fired. I'm my opinion he's a top 5 coach in the league and quite honestly I can't think of anyone available who'd I prefer.

He's not perfect and I don't know a coach who is, but I've enjoyed watching a team that's been competitive for the last 10+ years. I live in DC and my poor wife is a Redskin fan and has to deal with lost seasons almost every year.

But the Eagles? All they do is win. So what's the issue, and why the dislike of Coach Reid?

Let's see, first no Super Bowl win. Fair enough, that hasn't happen, but there are a lot of mediocre coaches that won a Super Bowl, is is that a fair criteria?

Let's look who's available to replace Reid. How about Jeff Fisher. Let's see, how many Super Bowls did he win? Zero. Better yet, in his 17 years as a head coach, how many winning seasons? Six! That's right, Fisher had six winning seasons in 17 years! OK then, how about Bill Cowher? It took him 14 years to win a Super Bowl, but he did have 11 winning seasons in 15 years. OK then how about the great Jon Gruden? 11 years and 5 winning seasons.

Among active coaches with 100+games only Belichick has a better win % than Reid.

So in our myopic world of Philadelphia sports, we fans become "tired" of the coach and want change because...because? Well I guess because we just want change. That's plain dumb!

Reid has made a lot of mistakes, but name me a coach who doesn't. Bleichick in my opinion is the best game day coach in the league but look at their drafts. In 2011 they started with two #1's, two #2's and two #3's (in 2010 they started with three #1's, three #2's and three #3's) and yet they don't have any receivers other than Welker and have no decent CB's and no pass rush. Maybe be you'd prefer Tom Coughlin, who's team seems to crash the last half of every year (BTW 16 seasons and 9 winning seasons).

Point is this. I really don't care if Reid is arrogant, I don't care about post game press conferences, and I don't care that he's fat. I just want to be entertained, and that's all football is, entertainment. It's not my life, it's just a game.

For the better part of 12 years, the Eagles have been a good, competitive team and there's only a handful of teams that can say the same. I want them to win a Super Bowl as much as anyone, and I hate the way this year turned out, but it would be beyond stupid for Reid to be fired for one bad year, especially in a year that had no off-season. He made some bad mistakes this year, agreed, but what is gained by firing Reid? There's a two part question. If you fire Reid, who do you replace him with. Who out there is better?

So to all of you that want the team to lose so Reid gets fired, get a life. That is by far the dumbest think I ever heard.

I've been an Eagles fan for 50 years.

In the 60's we had 3 winning seasons
    In the 70's we had 2 winning seasons
    In the 80's we had 4 winning seasons
    In the 90's we had 5 winning seasons
    In the 00's we had 8 winning seasons (Reid was coach for the full decade)

So, he's not perfect and maybe he's a pain in the ass, but he is a winner, and for the most part (this year an exception) I enjoy watching my team again.

So, I may very well be the only member of the Andy Reid Fan Club, but maybe I'm the only one that remembers that we had only 9 winning seasons in three decades (1960 - 1990) and had 8 winning seasons in the last decade under Reid.

So flame away!

I wrote this earlier today

The ONLY negative I can see with getting rid of Reid is his relationship with Vick. Of course, the way he played this year makes me think "who cares".

It seems everyone is a little "afraid" to let Andy go because of his great overall record over these past 13 years. I'd argue that the biggest reason that he won those games is that he had the ONLY QB in his Division and other than Farve the ONLY QB in the entire Conference. The guys he Coached against were an absolute Joke (Dave Campo, Spurrier etc). Any decent coach would have had the same results. I respect Andy, but for the good of the franchise he must go. He has lost his effectiveness. His players LOVE him so much that they usually put out half an effort. He is turning into a Dave Campo (grandfather type) himself.

So for all you "worriers" out there-don't be. It's time.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I am on the fence with this, some days I'm so disgusted I just want a change starting with Reid, other days I'm afraid to wish for such a drastic move. I am very WISHY WASHY I must say. Oh yeah, Green with Envy, I too live in the DC area and my husband is a Redskin fan...

Comment

Im still on the fence with the whole "Fire Andy" thing. But the way this season has gone has had me wondering about his success here....
        How much was it due to the freakish athleticism of McNabb? He sure didnt have the caliber of receivers we do now, yet managed to get to 5 NFCCs and 1 Super Bowl.

How much was it because of Ray Rhodes's defense?

How much was it because of Jim Johnson's defensive schemes?

Im sick of the whole "just barely good enough" phase here, but how much will quality drop with a new head coach and new staff? And are we willing to endure that pain for what COULD happen? Hell, Jim Caldwell lost one player (granted, it was Peyton Manning) and hasnt been able to win a game since. AR got the Birds into the playoffs with AJ Feeley and Koy Detmer.

Comment

Also how much of it was due to the opportunity to beat up on a pathetic NFC Least for so long?

The reason I even consider it, and no I have not gone to the extreme of claiming REID MUST GO, is tha tthe trend seems to be seriously downward in recent years. We can talk about the records all we want, but last year's team needed a Miracle to get to the post season and finished the last several games in pathetic fashion. And this year we have been the most inconsistant and pathetic I have seen since Doug Pederson was our QB.

We look to be headed in the wrong direction. Disagree? Change is necessary. We can debate about what that change should be.
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
            We look to be headed in the wrong direction. Disagree? Change is necessary. We can debate about what that change should be.
            There has been change. We have the second youngest team in the league. A new OL philosophy, a new DL philosophy, 9 new starters at the begining of the year. Maybe there were too many changes in a season that had no off-season, but somethings can't be controlled.

I have a lot of faith in the coach. This was a crappy, crappy, year but I think stability on top is good if changes for the better are happening.

Comment

I do not favor change just for the sake of change. There must be a clear objective. Who takes over? Will a wholesale roster turnover ensue? How many subpar seasons will that result in before it all comes together? It wouldn't work out too well if one were to shove the bus driver out of the door while in transit. Granted, it may not be where everyone wants to go. Some would say that the objective is to win. While that is what I believe to be true, it is not guaranteed no matter who is at the helm. The team under Rhodes cratered far more rapidly than the present squad under Reid. It could be that it took much more time for Reid to 'lose' his players, if he actually has at all. This season will be assessed, and the corrections will be made, IMO. Hopefully with careful, deliberate steps toward resolution.

That said, whereas I wouldn't have entertained the idea of Reid's ouster before, I have to admit that lately I have been thinking about it more...still, not sure about it though.
              Last edited by ThoughtProcess; 12-16-2011, 12:06 PM.

Comment

As I said before, Reid should be fired for the simple act of hiring Juan Castillo as defensive coordinator. The arrogance and/or stupidity behind the decision to promote someone to the critical position of DC who had no experience whatsoever as a defensive coach at the NFL level is reason enough in my book to look for someone else to lead this team.
                "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

I would be OK with Reid back as long as Washburn and Castillo are both out. Especially if we can be so lucky to get Fisher or Spags to be DC

I would also be OK with Reid gone. I like the guy and he has brought competitiveness on almost an every year basis for the Eagles. However, his game day management is not the best and he just can't get over the hump here. Change may be good for the players and the team.

Heck, even winning teams can sometimes benefit from change. See Tomlin in Pittsburg and McCarthy in Green Bay. Successful previous coaches had success and they did too.

I'm torn on the whole thing and think I'll probably be at peace with almost everything that can happen.

Castillo still being DC is the one thing that may get my blood boiling a bit though

Comment

fire Andy and hire the Green Bay QB coach!
                    www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

...I do not think that Castillo will be left in his current position after this season. If he is even retained at all, he will likely be demoted. That IMO is thorny too. They should just admit defeat, let Castillo go and obtin a seasoned veteran DC or an ascendant young whiz.

D20: Good post. I actually do not mind Washburn's scheme so much. IMO the fact that the LB's and safeties were playing subpar was a bigger part of the problem than the scheme. That said, with the defense playing the way it has done more often than not, the scheme should have been tweaked/scrapped until the talent caught up with the scheme.
                      Last edited by ThoughtProcess; 12-16-2011, 03:45 PM.

Comment

I am in between on this one. I would keep Andy if Castillo is released of his responsibilities and a guy (like Spagnuolo) is able to come in and be fairly autonomous with the "D" ala Jim Johnson's years here.

If we are going with a retread after Reid is fired, it better be Tony Dungy. He makes too much sense in so many ways (ex. Defensive minded, disciplined, respected by everyone including Vick). If you go with a youthful guy without much experience, then you really have to blow this thing up and start over with the OL fairly intact, Shady at RB, Maclin at WR and go with a new QB and a whole new defense.

Comment

Steve, you are probably right. But, the defense probably gets blown up (as it should) regardless of whatever changes are made in the coaching staff.
                          "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Of course it needs to be blown up!! Do you really want to watch this mess again next year? I really don't care who coaches this team next year as long as it is someone else. You can count on two things when you watch or listen to a sports station. Love for Tebow and laughter for the Eagles. Sorry, but I'm done with this staff.
                            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                              Of course it needs to be blown up!! Do you really want to watch this mess again next year? I really don't care who coaches this team next year as long as it is someone else. You can count on two things when you watch or listen to a sports station. Love for Tebow and laughter for the Eagles. Sorry, but I'm done with this staff.
                              If we blow it up, the current record is about the most we could hope for, most likely. They want different players etc. and they won't have a really high draft pick to get a franchise player in the new mold, things like that.

I'm frustrated beyond belief by this year, but I can't fire someone with a long track record of success over one bad year. Maybe the last three games will change my mind, but you have to give Reid a chance to correct the mistakes (particularly giving them a full, normal offseason to implement the changes which were made) unless you think the whole thing is on the verge of going to pieces (like Ray Rhodes' last year). There are obvious fixes needed on the defensive side (mainly replacing Castillo), and if Reid refuses to do that, I may reconsider.

I like our offense a lot, including the revamped offensive line, though losing DeSean could well be an issue. The defense is another story. It has a lot of talent, but either the scheme or the gaping holes at certain positions (or both) has been enough to bring the whole thing down. I don't think a simple offseason with the same coordinator is going to fix that (particularly given that Castillo completely wasted whatever offseason he had by trying to force Casey Matthews as a starter).

Comment

Working...
                              X