The Official 2012 NFL Draft Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://twitter.com/#!/Bobcat_Beat/s...91565990707201

Just got word that Montana State WR Elvis Akpla has signed a free agent contract with the Philadelphia Eagles. #NFLDraft
    Not sure what the valid rumor hit rate is on Twitter with this stuff, but... FWIW

Comment

• Per Lawlor:
      TE/FB Emil Igwenagu from UMass to Philly.

Comment

• Bengals signed Burfict as a UDFA apparently.

That's priceless.

Comment

• Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
          Bengals signed Burfict as a UDFA apparently.

That's priceless.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

• Apparently Cliff Harris was also kicked off his Oregon team after a series of traffic stuff (driving 115 while on a suspended license I think I read somewhere) and then a marajuana possession charge. Went from looking like a 1st round pick one year to kicked off the team the next.

That looks like two UDFAs and the 7th round pick who basically didn't finish the year with their college teams last year. Guess the risks on character concerns are all coming here.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/#!/shlynch/statu...14959524134912

MT @eaglesnut: Eagles reportedly sign LS Matt Camili of UTEP as UDFA. 1st time brought in competion for Dorenbos, in last year of contract.

Comment

• Polk says the degenerative hip rumors are false

http://www.sportsxchange.com/tsxfile...story_id=24141

"I will just have to go out there and show them I have a lot of great football left in me," Polk told NFLDraftScout.com after agreeing to a deal with the Eagles. "I know teams are concerned about my shoulder, but I also heard somebody say something about a degenerative hip and there is just no truth to that. I had labrum surgery on the shoulder a year ago and it didn't slow me down last season."

Comment

• Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
                  Polk says the degenerative hip rumors are false

http://www.sportsxchange.com/tsxfile...story_id=24141
                  Well if Dr Andrews says Polk is Okay to play then that's good enough for me. Also, good to see he chose the Birds over the skins. Gonna be interesting to follow this Kid.
                  Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

• https://twitter.com/#!/DougHaller/st...06871991660544

ASU receiver Aaron Pflugrad expected to sign with the Eagles.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/#!/EricBaileyTW/...36984393252866

Damaris Johnson confirmed via Eagles beat reporter RT @Jeff_McLane: Can confirm #Eagles signed Tulsa WR Demaris Johnson as rookie FA.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/#!/Jeff_McLane/s...50522314719233

#Eagles came to terms with two more undrafted free agents: Louisiana College WR Darnell Williams and Montana State WR Elvis "Declan" Akpla.
                        I think Williams did some returning too.

Comment

• FWIW, Brian Baldinger just picked Cox as his 2012 can't miss pick,now the kid is doomed.
                          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

• Eagles add several rookie free agents

Chris Polk was 11th in Division 1 rushing yards with 1,488 last season. (US Presswire)

The Eagles opt to draft a quarterback in the third roundReuben Frank and Derrick Gunn talk about the Eagles decision to select a quarterback in the third round. 4/27/2012

Record-setting Tulsa receiver and returner Damaris Johnson, All-America Oregon cornerback Cliff Harris and three-time 1,000-yard rusher Chris Polk of Washington are notable names among the handful of undrafted free agents the Eagles snapped up late Saturday night in the first few hours after the end of the draft.

They also added Syracuse safety Phillip Thomas, Miami (Fla.) tight end Chase Ford, UMass fullback/tight end Emil Igwenagu, Louisiana College receiver Darnell Williams and Montana State receiver Elvis Akpla.

The Eagles have not announced any of the signings, but all eight were confirmed by various NFL sources.

Johnson might be the most intriguing name on the list. He holds the NCAA Division 1 all-time record for most career all-purpose yards with 7,796 and also the NCAA career record for kickoff return yardage at 3,417.

He had 150 plays of 20 yards or more in his college career and finished with 188 catches for 2,746 yards, along with 1,062 rushing yards and 29 touchdowns (17 receiving, eight rushing, two on kick returns, two on punt returns). He finished his college career with 19 career games with 200 or more all-purpose yards.

But there are serious character questions about Johnson. He was kicked off the football team and left school after being pleading guilty to felony embezzlement in connection with a case in which he was charged with receiving unpaid obtaining merchandise from a Macy’s department store where a friend worked. The friend was also charged.

Johnson was fined $500 and ordered to serve 80 hours of community service. One year of prison time was deferred, and if he completes probation, the felony conviction will be expunged.

“Obviously, I made a mistake,” Johnson told the Tulsa World newspaper at his pro day last month. “Something occurred and a mistake was made. … It’s all about starting over. I’m putting that behind me and I’m going forward.”

Harris is a fascinating name. He was an All-America in 2010 but booted off the Oregon team after a series of off-the-field issues of his own last year. Most notable among them: He was pulled over after being caught by police driving 118 miles per hour with a suspended license.

"I feel like with my past, I have a lot to prove just in general," Harris told the Statesman Journal newspaper of Salem, Ore., at his pro day. "I'm trying to show everybody that history won't repeat itself.”

But when he played, he was electrifying. In 2010, he was tied for fifth in NCAA Division 1 with six interceptions and also returned four punt returns for touchdowns, including two in one game at New Mexico.

Polk ranked 11th in NCAA Division 1 this past year with 1,488 rushing yards. He ran for 12 touchdowns and averaged 5.1 yards per carry.

In his Huskie career, the 5-11, 215-pound Polk ran for 4,049 yards, making him only the seventh player in Pac 12 history to run for 4,000 career yards. That’s also second-most in Washington history, just 57 yards behind Napoleon Kaufman’s 4,106 yards. Polk also caught 79 passes for 683 yards as a collegiate.

“I'm versatile,” Polk said at the Combine. “I can do it all. I can run, block, catch, all of that. It's just a matter of me executing my technique rather than relying on just the physical abilities and just staying mentally attuned to my technique and staying fundamentally sound.”

The addition of Polk gives the Eagles three running backs behind Pro Bowl starter LeSean McCoy – Dion Lewis, a rookie last year; seventh-round pick Bryce Brown; and Polk.

The big question mark about Polk has been his health. He suffered a season-ending shoulder injury as a freshman and rumors about other injuries likely hurt him during draft weekend.

Polk said at the Combine there were so many concerns about his health that he met with doctors for six hours and also had three separate MRIs.

“I kind of felt like a big slab of meat because I'm the only guy in there with the X-ray package like this thick,” Polk said, spreading his hands a foot apart. “The first time I put it in there hands, it's like, 'Oh my goodness.'”

Thomas ranked third in NCAA Division 1 this past year with six interceptions, trailing only David Amerson of N.C. State and Bacarri Rambo of Georgia. He finished his college career with nine total INTs. Phillips, 5-11, 200 pounds, was a two-year starter for the Orange.

Ford caught 16 passes for 184 yards in two years at Miami after transferring from Kilgore (Texas) Junior College.

Williams caught 57 passes for 1,170 yards and 14 touchdowns two years ago and 62 passes for 1,101 yards and 10 touchdowns this past year, when he also led the American Southwest Conference with 1,458 all-purpose yards.

Akpla caught 133 passes for 2,207 yards and 18 touchdowns at Montana State and was 63-for-1,145, with 11 TDs, this past season. He gained YouTube fame with his spectacular tumbling one-handed catch for a 40-yard gain in a game against Sam Houston State (check it out).

Igwenagu caught 75 passes for 821 yards and four touchdowns at Massachusetts. He had 38 catches for 375 yards with three TDs this past season.

E-mail Reuben Frank at [email protected]
                            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

• This is a list I cobbled together from the posts I made last night. I've not seen an official list from the Eagles, but these all seem to have been confirmed by some media outlet or another, except for Pflugrad, and I've not seen any since reported signing elsewhere.

RB Chris Polk, Washington -- 3-time 1000 yard rusher there, injury concerns from older injury dropped him
                              CB Chris Harris, Oregon -- sounds like good talent but kicked off team for multiple bad traffic violations and a marijuana arrest
                              S Philip Thomas, Syracuse -- also sounds like really good talent but got himself kicked off that team for a year
                              TE Chase Ford, Miami
                              TE/FB Emil Igwenagu, UMass
                              WR Elvis Akpla, Montana State
                              WR Aaron Pflugrad, Arizona -- son of a coach... reports were *expected* to sign
                              WR Demaris Johnson, Tulsa -- also kicked off team, felony, on probation
                              WR Darnell Williams, Louisiana College
                              LS Matt Camilli, UTEP -- competition for Dorenbos, interesting
                              P Ryan Tydlacka, Kentucky -- provide Chas Henry with some competition

So that makes a full three of these that were kicked off their college teams but had shown some big-time talent. That's not including the 7th round pick Bryce Brown, which was basically done to avoid any UDFA bidding war, who quit on his own. Lots of boom or bust picks in there, but if even one pans out, that could be very nice.

Have to admit, reading more about him, surprised that Polk fell *that* much. Something really scared team doctors.

Comment

• Pflugrad was a great Avant type of receiver for a couple of years at ASU. Fantastic hands.. not very big though, and doesn't have ideal speed.

Comment

Working...
                                X