Nnamdi on Todd Bowles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nnamdi on Todd Bowles

From Sheil Kapadia's new blog at Philadelphia magazine. Look at the quote at the end. One more strike against Castillo, IMO. Good coaches make use of the strengths of their players. They don't take a newly-signed, high-profile FA and throw him into an unfamiliar role, setting him up to fail.

HOW BOWLES IS HELPING ASOMUGHA

I’ve written in the past that Nnamdi Asomugha and new secondary coach Todd Bowles seem to have formed a good relationship. They’re around each other quite a bit on the practice field and on the sidelines. Asomugha likes picking Bowles’ brain as he continues to learn a new role that’s different than the one he was in with the Raiders.

“He doesn’t just know secondary stuff, he knows entire defense stuff, so he kind of gets me ready for where to fit when I’m playing inside,” Asomugha said. “He’s helped me out a lot with my inside game. Last year, that was completely new to me, playing dime, playing nickel. Juan’s keeping that going this year a little bit so that’s where Coach Bowles has come in a lot with me and he’s helped me out.”

As we’ve written previously, don’t expect Asomugha to line up at right cornerback and play man coverage all game. The Eagles still plan on using him in different ways.

“He’s kind of given me a crash course on some things that I went through the whole season last year not even knowing, and they’re just the basic things,” Asomugha said. “So it’s good to have him in here, a guy that’s familiar with putting guys inside, especially a taller guy inside.”

http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/author/skapadia/
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

I don't know if that's necessarily a strike against Castillo LT. Isn't that the assistant's job to coach his players? It's obvious that NA really likes Bowles though.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
      I don't know if that's necessarily a strike against Castillo LT. Isn't that the assistant's job to coach his players? It's obvious that NA really likes Bowles though.

Sure, Johnny Lynn is also at fault. But why does the DC trot out schemes that don't play to the strengths of his best players?
      Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Definitely an indictment of Lynn. Not as sure on Castillo, but obviously that didn't help. Of course you can't help but wonder if Bowles knows "entire defense stuff" better than Castillo. The defense's problem last night though was the dumb penalties on 3rd down... not sure on how much a coach can do there. Granted a couple of those critical calls were ticky-tack (Cox) or a little odd (Nnamdi's where the receiver really just got tangled up with him), not outright stupidity like DRC's in the last game.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
          Sure, Johnny Lynn is also at fault. But why does the DC trot out schemes that don't play to the strengths of his best players?
          Wasn't that part of NA's wishes to be like the top shutdown CBs in the league that move all over the place? I remember it was when he was interviewed right after he signed. He wanted to do everything. Maybe he wasn't ready for it.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
            Just a possible answer (being I don't know either)- The weaknesses at other positions or schemes??? For example, nobody on this team could stop TE's last year except Nnamdi. His safeties weren't all that good and he had a starter on the other side who hated playing press coverage.

Juan did not build that defense and he did not have time to see what worked and didn't work before it was too late. Maybe he is jsut checking to see if Todd can fix it...and based on Nnamdi's comments, Juan might be right that Todd can get Namdi where Lynn couldn't.

Let be real here on Juan's role last year. He was treading water in a storm. Spending time with individuals would have been very hard to do (Nnamdi was the least of their worries). It is his job though to make sure the assistants are doing their job, but again, last year was a whole nother bad situation.
            Pedro

Comment

Working...
            X