Lastest Blog From Clayton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lastest Blog From Clayton

Crunching the contract numbersposted: Wednesday, August 2, 2006 | Print Entry
    filed under: NFL, San Francisco 49ers, Kevan Barlow, Mario Williams, Vince Young, Reggie Bush, Denver Broncos, Ashley Lelie

The numbers are in and, no surprise, Mario Williams, the first pick in the NFL draft, ended up coming up with the best contract.
    Although the contracts are complicated, it's pretty easy to see how the contracts should be evaluated. The only confusion is how to evaluate how the escalators count. That is done in two ways.

What is considered the true value of the contract is what a player can expect if he plays a minimum amount of the time to trigger those huge clauses. Most contracts require 35 percent playing time as a rookie, and 45 percent in later years.

The confusion in comparing the contracts of Reggie Bush and Vince Young is what is considered the maximum value if they achieve every incentive. Young can make $57.59 million over six years if he hits every qualifier. Bush could make $62.05 million.

Here is a closer look at the numbers:

1. Mario Williams (six years, $54 million with minimal qualifications) -- Guarantees: $26.5 million; Max value: $62.1 million

2. Reggie Bush (six years, $52.5 million with minimal qualifications) -- Guarantees: $26.325 million; Max value: $62.05 million

3. Vince Young (six years, $48.04 million with minimal qualifications) -- Guarantees: $25.74 million; Max value: $57.59 million

Better Barlow: One of the pleasant surprises in 49ers camp is the play of halfback Kevan Barlow. Down 10 pounds to help his quickness, Barlow is running well. The 49ers need a big season from Barlow, who is making $4 million a year and can help the development of quarterback Alex Smith by giving him a solid running game. Barlow is competing for playing time against Frank Gore but should have no trouble getting 20 carries a game.

Lelie trade inevitable: The asking price for holdout Broncos wide receiver Ashley Lelie is a third-round pick and there are teams willing to give up a fourth-rounder. The situation is stalemated at the moment, but a receiver injury could speed up the process. It's not going to be a matter of if Lelie is traded. It's a matter of when Lelie is traded.

The asking price for Lelie is going to be much less than what the Raiders would take for Jerry Porter, who isn't getting along with coach Art Shell and wants out. Al Davis also wants Porter to pay back some of his signing bonus in order to facilitate a trade.

Sixth sense: The underlying theme for three of the four remaining holdouts in the first round is the sixth-year demands. Teams in the top 16 can ask for six-year contracts. That seems to be a little excessive for Eagles defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley (No. 14) and Dolphins defensive back Jason Allen (No. 16). The history of draft choices taken in past years is for them to receive five-year contracts.

Bills safety Donte Whitner (No. is surrounded by five-year deals, and the Bills eventually might consent to a five-year contract. Naturally, Matt Leinart wants a five-year deal. If he becomes the Cardinals' franchise quarterback, he'll want a renegotiation after three years. The Cardinals will continue to push for a six-year deal.

a 3 for lelie? that's a very tough call.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose
      a 3 for lelie? that's a very tough call.
      lol, not for me!

NO THANKS!

Comment

You guys are nuts. Have you looked at the WR depth chart lately???

At this point, I don't think we can count on Pinkston to play a full, productive season. Not only do we not have much experienced depth, but outside of Reggie Brown, our starters are suspect at best. I like Gaffney, but let's be honest. We can use another starting caliber WR in the worst way. More than we can use a third round pick in next year's draft that hopefully will be at the bottom of the round, and close to a 4th rounder in value. Beggars can't be choosers.

Comment

Lelie is soft and i frankly have had enough of mediocre WRs displaying bad attitudes. If he gets cut i bring him in to take a look, but no way do i give up a 3rd rounder for him.

Comment

A 3rd for Lelie ? I would pull the trigger NOW.

I think that Pinky is done. They have to have someone that can stretch the field.

Make the trade Andy !!

BTW, most Denver fans are quite happy with Lelie's peformance on the field. However, they don't like all the fuss that he is causing.

Comment

When I first read that I thought they wanted three picks for Lelie. I'd definitely give a 3rd round pick for him, since he's definitely proven himself in the NFL which is about as much as you hope for with 3rd round picks on draft day.

Comment

Lelie is better than any WR we have right now. I think Brown will be better but until he puts up the numbers we don't really know.

I would give up a third for him. The guy has put up good numbers in a running version of the WCO being a #2. I have no doubts he would have another 1,000 yard season here.
                FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

As I said before -- it wasn't worth it to me as long as Pinky was healthy-- but that is a slipping dream I'm afraid.

So I do have to change my tune and say yeah-- at least let's try and work a deal for him. 3rd sounds about right as long as a new deal is in place.

I still feel that this guy has some head problems, I hope it's just media hype and him trying to use them to get out of town.

Comment

4th

Lelie is not worth a 3rd

Comment

Nitpickng a bit between a 3rd and a 4th, aren't we???

If we need him, we need him. I would not let the differential between a 3rd and 4th next year deter me if i was interested. Question is, are they? And how certain are they that Pinky is IN, or OUT?
                      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                        Nitpickng a bit between a 3rd and a 4th, aren't we???

If we need him, we need him. I would not let the differential between a 3rd and 4th next year deter me if i was interested. Question is, are they? And how certain are they that Pinky is IN, or OUT?
                        I agree!

I wasn't trying to nitpick, just off the top of my head a third seemed ok.... after all it will be the 96th pick(in theory). LOL.

Comment

I'd have shipped a third to Denver yesterday. Look, we've hit on some thirds, and missed on some thirds over the years. Right now, I say Lelie is a better player, warts and all, than the majority of players we could get in the third round. He fits a need, knows the WCO, and can give us verticle stretch. We are anorexically thin at WR, and we have a lot of question marks. A third for Lelie is a no brainer at this point.

Comment

I'm anal over day one or day two pick

selfish WR who wants to get out of dodge because he can't handle competition = day 2 pick

how much better is he really over what we have?

In my opinion he gets what we would get if Pinkston were healthy and whinning to get out. day 2 pick

Comment

Dawk20,

Up until the last few days, I was not on board with Lelie. That is, until I heard the normally positive Spads mentioning that Pinkston is the only one with enough speed to keep the defenses honest. Even Spads said that the Eagles would need to address WR if Pinky cannot play.

Lelie is the only proven guy available with speed that I know of. If Pinky were healthy, I would not be on board with Lelie. But, it sounds like we need to do something at this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X