Big night for these two fellas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big night for these two fellas

If Daniels duplicates his first game, things really could get interesting at LB

Home / Sports / Philadelphia Eagles
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long shots make an impression

By REUBEN FRANK
    phillyBurbs.com

BETHLEHEM — They even sound like long shots.

Joselio?

Tank?

Sunday night, they didn't play like long shots.

Joselio Hanson is a journeyman cornerback who helped the Frankfort Galaxy win the World League championship this past spring. Torrance “Tank” Daniels is a rookie linebacker out of noted football powerhouse Harding University in Searcy, Ky.

They began training camp as the longest of long shots. Yet there they were Sunday night, flashing in the Eagles' preseason opener against the Raiders.

Hanson knocked down two passes and intercepted another in the Eagles' 16-10 loss in the Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio. And Daniels had an incredible four tackles for loss, all in the fourth quarter.

It's a long way from the first of five preseason games to the final roster, but Hanson and Daniels both impressed the coaches by making plays when it mattered. In a game.

“I was an underdog, and I had to learn the defense as quick as I can,” said Hanson, who spent the 2004 season with the 49ers. “I have a knack of for picking up defenses real quick.

“You have to keep it going. You can't be a one-game wonder. You have to put together a string of good games.”

Hanson stands 5-9, 170, but he showed great athleticism and ability around the ball, knocking down two passes by Raiders quarterback Marques Tuiasosopo and intercepting another. He also teamed up with J.R. Reed to obliterate receiver Kevin Mahon on a deep ball.

Defensive coordinator Jim Johnson said Hanson will play more tonight, when the Eagles face the Browns at the Linc in the second of five preseason games. He'll get a shot in the second nickel as well.

“He had a good game,” Johnson said. “He did a nice job. He played a very sound football game and made some plays, tackled well. We like the way he played.”

There is a job opening for a fourth cornerback behind starters Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown and nickel Rod Hood. Dexter Wynn is not a lock, and Matt Ware is more of a safety these days.

“I feel like I'm in that mix,” he said.

Daniels didn't enter the game until the fourth quarter, but he was the best player on the field once he got on it.

First, he stuffed running back DeJuan Green for a 2-yard loss and forced a fumble, a ruling that was over-turned after a replay challenge. He also stopped Green for losses of 3, 1 and 3 yards, and he stopped Brian Toler for a 1-yard gain on a punt return.

“He showed he's a gamer,” Johnson said. “He played well. In the game you almost find out sometimes more about guys, how they play in the game than how they practice. He actually played better in the game than he has practiced, so that helped him tremendously. He stood out.”

Daniels, who can play both weak-side and middle linebacker, showed surprising movement and quickness for his 6-3, 248-pound frame.

“When I got out there in the game, I decided not to worry about making a mistake, and I let myself go,” Daniels said. “When I play like that, I think I'm playing a lot better than when I'm thinking. Football's not a chess match. I like to go out there and react.

“You can't do a lot of thinking on the field. You have to think fast, and that's why I have to continue to stay in my playbook so that stuff will be second nature.

“This defense compared to what I did in college, it's beyond night and day. I just have to spend a lot of time in the playbook, and it's starting to click a little bit. It's starting to fire a little bit in my brain. I hope I get an opportunity to stick around here and really make some plays in this defense.”

Daniels was ridiculously productive in college — 17 1/2 sacks, seven interceptions, 10 forced fumbles —but that was in the Division II Gulf South Conference.

“Most guys think when you come from a small school that you can't play or you played against girls and church choirs,” Daniels said. “You have to show that there is some talent on Division II players.”

Reuben Frank can be reached at [email protected].

August 10, 2006 5:22 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Story Options: Print this story Email a friend
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I think both guys have a shot at making the roster Popper.Hanson has been real impressive in TC according to the coaches and he played well on Sunday night.IMO he'll beat out Dexter Wynn but the guy who has an edge on him is Donald Strickland,who played well last year.Both guys are about the same age,Strickland is @20lbs heavier and played at Colorado with Michael Lewis.Hanson's got a shot but right now,advantage Strickland.
    Tank Daniels is a pretty good athlete(lettered in basketball,baseball,& track)with good size and seems to always be around the ball.Simmy is no lock and neither is Richmond or Short so if he shines in TC & preseason games,yeah,Daniels could make the squad.
    The ONLY positive about playing 5 preseason games is that it'll give the coaches plenty of film on the "bubble" guys.
    Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

reuben frank is such a smartasss
      Five straight losses, including a crucial one at Dallas on Christmas Day, send them out against Atlanta, needing the win, plus help. -Dr. Z, 8/31/06

Comment

Working...
      X