No announcement yet.

Story (4/4) - Truth About Jackson in 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It wouldn't be a huge deal if he was still with the Eagles. I think it's important to start off on the right foot.

For the normal schmoe, a paid for vacation is a huge deal because you can't get your money back. For a guy who just signed a $16M guarantee, you can afford to eat the cost.

Comment

[QUOTE=Eaglebreath;246286]I don't think it's that big of a deal. Look at what the Eagles went through with Williams last year.

But, things have a way of going south in DC. It's such par for their course. Sign the guy, give him 16 million dollars guaranteed. Can't wait to get to work. First day of OTAs with then new coaches. Sorry man, I gotta vacation to take, but Ima be there the minute it's over man.[/QUOTE]

You're right EB, it's not a big deal. It's a huge deal!!! You're the first all pro to get fired in --O, my lifetime and you don't show up for work? Nice sign Danny Boy.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
        I don't think it's that big of a deal. Look at what the Eagles went through with Williams last year.

But, things have a way of going south in DC. It's such par for their course. Sign the guy, give him 16 million dollars guaranteed. Can't wait to get to work. First day of OTAs with then new coaches. Sorry man, I gotta vacation to take, but Ima be there the minute it's over man.

You're right EB, it's not a big deal. It's a huge deal!!! You're the first all pro to get fired in --O, my lifetime and you don't show up for work? Nice sign Danny Boy.
        I want to pile on DJ as much as the next guy, but this is completely the media looking for dirt, and creating something out of nothing.

Jackson had a vacation planned before he signed because if he was still an Eagle, the Eagles wouldn't have been having OTA's that week. The NFL rule is that teams with a new head coach can start their OTA's earlier. (Remember the Eagles started earlier LAST year because it was Chip Kelly's first year.) The Redskins have a new coach so their OTA are starting earlier...unfortunately the same week Jackson had a vacation planned. Apparently it was understood from the day he signed the contract that Jackson wouldn't need to be at these OTA's.

I suppose you could argue that considering the circumstances, he would cancel his trip, but if I'm the Redskins, I really don't see it as a big deal if he's not there.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
          I want to pile on DJ as much as the next guy, but this is completely the media looking for dirt, and creating something out of nothing.

Jackson had a vacation planned before he signed because if he was still an Eagle, the Eagles wouldn't have been having OTA's that week. The NFL rule is that teams with a new head coach can start their OTA's earlier. (Remember the Eagles started earlier LAST year because it was Chip Kelly's first year.) The Redskins have a new coach so their OTA are starting earlier...unfortunately the same week Jackson had a vacation planned. Apparently it was understood from the day he signed the contract that Jackson wouldn't need to be at these OTA's.

I suppose you could argue that considering the circumstances, he would cancel his trip, but if I'm the Redskins, I really don't see it as a big deal if he's not there.
          You're one hell of a nice guy Chris and that was a good reason that you gave. However, I can give you $24 million reasons why he should be there! Me first, that's the Jackson way.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post

YPCM I totally understand what you're saying but the fact is that he took a new job with a new team and accepted a $24 million deal to do so. Sorry but the couple of thousand bucks he spent on his vacation is no excuse to miss the OTA. There's a reason the league allows new head coaches to start earlier than the rest of the league. The teams need to learn a new system and the coaches need to see how specific players fit their schemes. i would argue that Redskin's players have an advantage over DJ since they have played together and are all at the same starting point with Gruden. DJ is coming in from a completely different perspective. He has no chemistry with his new team and has to learn everything about the new system and his new team. I would suggest that he needs the added time even more than his teammates do. If I'm the Skins I tell DeSean to give an early Christmas present to his friends and family in the way of his prepaid vacation and have his ass at camp if he wants to be a part of the team. Danny boy wouldn't do that - but of course that's part of the reason the Skins are a perpetual mess!
            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Whats crazy is that it's not like he's all burnt out from work like the rest of us schmoes and might actually NEED a vacation to recharge or anything.

It's just money he'd be losing in terms of anything he might have prepaid for.

And his big payday pretty much covered that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                YPCM I totally understand what you're saying but the fact is that he took a new job with a new team and accepted a $24 million deal to do so. Sorry but the couple of thousand bucks he spent on his vacation is no excuse to miss the OTA. There's a reason the league allows new head coaches to start earlier than the rest of the league. The teams need to learn a new system and the coaches need to see how specific players fit their schemes. i would argue that Redskin's players have an advantage over DJ since they have played together and are all at the same starting point with Gruden. DJ is coming in from a completely different perspective. He has no chemistry with his new team and has to learn everything about the new system and his new team. I would suggest that he needs the added time even more than his teammates do. If I'm the Skins I tell DeSean to give an early Christmas present to his friends and family in the way of his prepaid vacation and have his ass at camp if he wants to be a part of the team. Danny boy wouldn't do that - but of course that's part of the reason the Skins are a perpetual mess!
                Apparently he's only missing the strength and conditioning portion, and will be back for the rest of the OTAs. And he got the OK from the Redskins before he signed, so they gave him that money fully aware. While I'm sure they would prefer he be there, this doesn't seem like that big a deal. I kinda doubt his teammates mind either.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
                  Apparently he's only missing the strength and conditioning portion, and will be back for the rest of the OTAs. And he got the OK from the Redskins before he signed, so they gave him that money fully aware. While I'm sure they would prefer he be there, this doesn't seem like that big a deal. I kinda doubt his teammates mind either.
                  Hey, maybe they don't FO. Maybe nobody in Washington cares. $24 million and nobody cares. Man, Pro sports are so screwed up.

Comment

If all he's missing is the strength and conditioning stuff then it's really not a big deal. It would certainly be nice if he were there and if it were me I'd probably be there (of course if I have 16 million in the bank I might just decide to take things a little easier too). Is his absence an indication of what's to come? Given his history I'd say it probably is. One thing is certain IMM, going into the last year of the contract DJ will be bitching about wanting a new deal. As soon as the guaranteed money is gone he'll have no incentive to continue to play and will be looking for the next deal. I'm sure he'll bust his ass this year to show the world that the Eagles were wrong about him.
                    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

C'mon guys--- Mountain meet mole hill.

Seems like some are stretching to just pile on..... there is nothing here. Nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                        C'mon guys--- Mountain meet mole hill.

Seems like some are stretching to just pile on..... there is nothing here. Nothing.
                        While I agree with that, I also tend to think that there are players who would have blown off that vacation, and that's the kind of guys I want on my team. I'm sure Desean talked to the Skins brass and told them what he was going to do, and they signed off on it. It's really not that big of a deal. But, that certainly was not as favorable to them as him saying screw the vacation I want to be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                          While I agree with that, I also tend to think that there are players who would have blown off that vacation, and that's the kind of guys I want on my team. I'm sure Desean talked to the Skins brass and told them what he was going to do, and they signed off on it. It's really not that big of a deal. But, that certainly was not as favorable to them as him saying screw the vacation I want to be there.
                          Yup!

Plus , at least I have not heard, what this vacation entailed --- maybe it affects more than just him relaxing on a beach. Maybe it affects several other people. Maybe it's family. Maybe it's a business thing (and they all have them) that involves many others.

Comment

One thing is for certain, this little side story will just add one more piece of drama to the entirety of next season.
                            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Schedule comes out in a week or two....anyone else think both of these games, if they weren't already, are going to be put on primetime vs the Skins. How sweet would a week one, at the Linc, Skins vs Birds be!!!!??!! I'm hoping so...
                              Theo

Bleedin Green in 117!!

Trey Wingo is still a geek!!

Comment

I just wish we could have held out a bit, and traded him to a team like the Bills for even a 7th rounder. I don't need to see Desean vs our secondary twice a season.
                                http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Working...
                                X