BS Chip Explanation!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BS Chip Explanation!

Come on Chip. The guy was a jerk to you and you defend him? So much for the hardass theory.

Kelly: Eagles cut DeSean Jackson for 'purely football reasons'

Apr
    4/28/2014 2:57:12 PM

The Philadelphia Eagles had been silent about the controversial decision to release wide receiver DeSean Jackson until today, Andy Jasner of ESPN.com reports.

Speaking at their 18th annual Playground Build at Prince Hall Elementary School in North Philadelphia on Monday, the Eagles' brass finally opened up about the roster shakeup.

Coach Chip Kelly, general manager Howie Roseman and owner Jeffrey Lurie all spoke to a number of area reporters.

Kelly said releasing Jackson was "purely a football decision" and had nothing to do with a NJ.com report linking Jackson to being friends with gang members in California.

Lurie backed Kelly's decision to release Jackson and said, "It was clear [to Chip] it was not a fit."

"Chip and his people were incredibly clear that for us to get better, we needed to take a step back and re-configure the wide receiver position," Lurie said, according to the team's website.

Lurie said he gives Kelly the "benefit of the doubt."

"He knows what he wants and he knows how to get there. I really believe it's an organization that absolutely supports the direction we're going and that's the best way to be: Everyone in it together and I think Chip is always going to base things not just on statistics, but how you're going to perform, and how you are going to perform in the playoffs."

Kelly added that the Eagles tried to trade Jackson, but decided to release him after they couldn't come up with a trade partner at the recently held owners meetings in Orlando, Fla.

"We were going in a different direction at the wide receiver position," Kelly said, according to the team's website. "We came back from the owners meetings and we had no takers from a trade standpoint, so we thought that it was best at that point and time to release him.

"It has nothing to do with anything that was ever written in a newspaper or any off-field behavior from him."

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Of course its BS, but I wouldn't have expected anything less.

Comment

I'm pretty disappointed WC. Here I'm thinking Chip is laying down the law by firing a spoiled little jerk, and instead he blows the guy in public. WTF???

Comment

Believe it or not, IMO the "other Chip" (that's what I'm calling Coach Kelly and if you don't like it, TS! ) did release Jackson partially for football reasons. I think Kelly believes his offense functions better with bigger receivers, and Jackson obviously isn't a bigger receiver. I also have a sense Kelly likes the quality of the wide receivers in the upcoming draft class.

Comment

Come on guys! What's to be gained by airing the dirty laundry here? DJAx getting upset or maybe rattling legal sabres? Djax hating him for (at least in his eyes) being dishonest or blowing something out of proportion?

What's important is that we all know that DJax was extremely talented but was also a little prick on the field and during practice. The Team saw everything and knows what the reason is. If it strengthens the team because of accountability without it being in the press I'm all for it. Just go get a ring I can celebrate with you.

Comment

yea but it doesn't explain why they didn't just keep him until they absolutely had to let him go. And I can believe they couldn't find someone willing to give them a one or two but I can't believe someone wouldn't give them a fourth or fifth round pick or maybe a Gatorade bucket or two.
            Chip is saying what he has to say and I believe there is a sliver of truth in it but I ain't buying the whole bushel
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle` View Post
              yea but it doesn't explain why they didn't just keep him until they absolutely had to let him go. And I can believe they couldn't find someone willing to give them a one or two but I can't believe someone wouldn't give them a fourth or fifth round pick or maybe a Gatorade bucket or two.
              Chip is saying what he has to say and I believe there is a sliver of truth in it but I ain't buying the whole bushel
              Mm... the team activities started on April 21 and they probably didn't want Jackson to be there. I'm sure they didn't want to be a bombshell on the eve of those workouts either, and the press rumormongering was getting way too hard to deal with. It seems to me that when it was basically certain they would not get anything for him they released him. I thought the timing stunk, being associated with the nj.com article, though it may have been hard to not associate that at all. As for getting something for him, not sure teams wanted to trade for that contract, especially if he was just going to stir trouble until it was renegotiated. They would much prefer signing him to a new contract, I'd guess.

A for "football reasons"... if that includes areas like getting behind Chip's plan, and practice habits, and game preparation, and dealing with coaches.... maybe I could believe that. If he means truly just gameday on-field stuff, i.e. he just wanted the offense to work a different way, then no. Feels more like Chip thought the offense could work well a different way and it wasn't worth the headache to keep going with Jackson. As much as can understand the need to release him, I also think Jackson is going to play well this year at least, and be a thorn.

Comment

This year? He played well LAST year.

It's all bullshit, and it pisses me off. And when we use a pick on a WR in this draft instead of adding to our deficient defense, I am going to be even more pissed off. But wTF does my opinion matter?
                http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                  This year? He played well LAST year.

It's all bullshit, and it pisses me off. And when we use a pick on a WR in this draft instead of adding to our deficient defense, I am going to be even more pissed off. But wTF does my opinion matter?
                  Ya know, I really didn't want to start up this crap again. I agree Fresh, but that really was my point. And I suspect the team knows why he's gone too. But playing nicey nicey with the little prick when he doesn't deserve it pisses me off.

Comment

Lurie backed Kelly's decision to release Jackson and said, "It was clear [to Chip] it was not a fit."
                    "He knows what he wants and he knows how to get there. I really believe it's an organization that absolutely supports the direction we're going and that's the best way to be: Everyone in it together and I think Chip is always going to base things not just on statistics, but how you're going to perform, and how you are going to perform in the playoffs."
                    Maybe I'm just stupid (ok we all can agree on that!) but read Lurie's statement above. It sure seems to me that Lurie is pretty much saying in those two statements that they felt that DJ wasn't buying into the program. The bold text in the quotes is my emphasis not Lurie's - but I think that is the key to the whole thing. 60 you want to see 'the other' Chip (for you C72!!!) as a hard ass? Consider those statements and the fact that they felt so strongly that everyone has to buy in that they simply cut their #1, Probowl WR - basically fired one of the top 3-4 players on the team because he wasn't doing what they wanted. Not that he wasn't doing his job on the field, but wasn't being the "team guy" they wanted him to be. That seems like a pretty hard ass move to me!

As for the need to draft another WR they were going to do that anyway this year. Maclin is coming off an ACL and honestly DJ is 2 years away from slowing down. With the WR talent in this draft they can get 1st round talent in the 2nd round so it makes sense to take an extra player or two now to avoid a need later. I would have preferred to see them use the entire draft on defense but we all know that isn't going to happen. They are looking at the talent level in the draft and honing their roster to take advantage of it and the ability to draft BPA. I'm fine with them replacing DJ. I just wish they had been able to get something in return for him and controlled where he went.
                    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                      Maybe I'm just stupid (ok we all can agree on that!) but read Lurie's statement above. It sure seems to me that Lurie is pretty much saying in those two statements that they felt that DJ wasn't buying into the program. The bold text in the quotes is my emphasis not Lurie's - but I think that is the key to the whole thing. 60 you want to see 'the other' Chip (for you C72!!!) as a hard ass? Consider those statements and the fact that they felt so strongly that everyone has to buy in that they simply cut their #1, Probowl WR - basically fired one of the top 3-4 players on the team because he wasn't doing what they wanted. Not that he wasn't doing his job on the field, but wasn't being the "team guy" they wanted him to be. That seems like a pretty hard ass move to me!

As for the need to draft another WR they were going to do that anyway this year. Maclin is coming off an ACL and honestly DJ is 2 years away from slowing down. With the WR talent in this draft they can get 1st round talent in the 2nd round so it makes sense to take an extra player or two now to avoid a need later. I would have preferred to see them use the entire draft on defense but we all know that isn't going to happen. They are looking at the talent level in the draft and honing their roster to take advantage of it and the ability to draft BPA. I'm fine with them replacing DJ. I just wish they had been able to get something in return for him and controlled where he went.
                      I agree for the most part Juk. But we were in a position not to target any position a month ago, and now I'm not quite so sure. As for Chip, he handles himself great for the most part and probably is handling this situation the right way too. Guys like Jackson really irk me (like you guys didn't notice!).

Comment

We shall see how well this "my way or the highway" style plays out. But I still say that the article suggesting that Chip is "used to enjoying his power and wielding it" may not be that unreasonable of an idea. If you are going to do that, then you sure better be right.
                        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

We shall see how well this "my way or the highway" style plays out. But I still say that the article suggesting that Chip is "used to enjoying his power and wielding it" may not be that unreasonable of an idea. If you are going to do that, then you sure better be right.
                          Fresh, I can't think of a successful coach who didn't operate that way. Can you? On the other hand, I can easily give you a long list of those loosely-goosey types that got their ass fired.

Comment

That's a fair point Fresh. If he is going to be that heavy handed it better work. I'd feel more comfortable with Chip if we had a track record of his approach working with multi-millionaire adults not kids. Year 1 worked but year 2-5 will be telling. Perhaps his system is so superior that he will be able to jettison bad fit higher talent for lower talent good fit. What irks me the most is that we'll see him twice a year.

Its been said before but it should be repeated, no other team was willing to trade for him. There is something hidden right now and until we know what it is, I don't think its fair to judge this with finality.

Comment

I want to be clear, this jettisoning of DJax is not the only hint we have had of Chip's my-way-or-the-highway approach to coaching. It's just the most recent and most visible. But I wonder if Chip isn't a clone of Bellichek.(Or perhaps even Jim Harbaugh). Bellichek's means worked years ago to bring players together and win championships(some people think Brady deserves most of the credit for that....and the cheating), but they have been backsliding for some time, and once Brady hangs it up, who knows what they will be. Dictators once ruled the sidelines, but I don't know if that will still work in the modern age.

What I am relying on is Chip's brain, his creativity. Of course, it's hard to believe that someone who is so creative couldn't come up with a way to make use of the talents of a player like DJax, and simply cut him for nothing for "football reasons".....ummmm, yeah.

Comment

Working...
                              X