• Boooo To the Birds

not cool, tradition has some value IMO.

Eagles PA Announcer Dan Baker Won't Return After 29 Years with the Team

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton on May 7 2014, 1:43p 21
    Jeffrey G. Pittenger-USA TODAY S

× Get the latest Philadelphia Eagles news with Bleeding Green Nation

Follow Bleeding Green Nation on Twitter
    Like Bleeding Green Nation Facebook

The Eagles are in the market for a new public address announcer.
    According to an official team statement, former Philadelphia Eagles public address announcer Dan Baker won't be returning to the team. Baker had previously served in his role for 29 years. Straight from the release:
    The Eagles have decided to make a change in the role and told Baker about the new direction last week.
    "Dan is the ultimate professional and even though he was disappointed with the direction we are heading, he was accepting of our decision to make the change," said team president Don Smolenski. "We are very appreciative of his dedication and service. He never missed a single game."
    As the game day experience continues to evolve with expanded audio and visual enhancements, the game-telling experience is no longer the responsibility of a single person. "It is a true multi-media experience," added Smolenski.
    The Eagles will begin a search for a new public address announcer and will work closely with an outside agency to aid in this transition.
    "I want to thank Mr. Lurie, the Philadelphia Eagles, and the fans for the privilege of announcing 29 great years of Eagles football," said Baker. "It has truly been an honor."
    The team plans to honor Baker during the 2014 Eagles home opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Be prepared for a different voice at Eagles games this year.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

I agree Boooooooooo! (But wadda I know)

Comment

Said team president Don Smolenski. "We are very appreciative of his dedication and service. He never missed a single game."

Smolenski then offered some insight into just where Mr Baker had made a fatal mistake by borrowing a line from one of his favorite movies, "Let's be honest here...Dan fucked up! He trusted us!"

Comment

Dan Baker truly is a giant in Philadelphia sports, even if he isn't very visible. Most people know he has been the long-time PA announcer for the Eagles and Phillies, but most people don't realize he has also served as the executive director of the Philadelphia Big Five and was a long-time play-by-play radio announcer for Drexel men's basketball.

It's too bad Baker won't be the Eagles' PA announcer anymore; I'll always associate his voice with the Eagles (and even moreso with the Phillies).

Comment

I think I'm one of the very few who is glad to hear this. I love him at Phillies games. But I have never been able to stand him doing Eagles games. I guess when I think of stadium announcers for football, I just want the name of the players involved, and down and distance. Nothing flashy. He always seemed to try and throw some flash into it, especially after big plays. Dont get me wrong, I understand the deal. Eagles guy, getting excited and trying to help fans get excited. I get it. But just my own personal preference, especially after hearing public address guys in other stadiums, straight forward, basic...almost boring, just seems more professional. Listening to Baker do Eagles games always made me think I was watching Arena league or wrestling or something.
          Theo

Bleedin Green in 117!!

Trey Wingo is still a geek!!

Comment

This is a lame move! The guy has been the voice of the team for nearly 3 decades. They had to let him go? They couldn't find a way to work him into their "new direction"? That really is lame.

I'm disappointed they would simply let him leave and to make it worse they got NOTHING for him! They could have traded him to another team with a shitty PA announcer and gotten SOMETHING for him!
            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
              This is a lame move! The guy has been the voice of the team for nearly 3 decades. They had to let him go? They couldn't find a way to work him into their "new direction"? That really is lame.

I'm disappointed they would simply let him leave and to make it worse they got NOTHING for him! They could have traded him to another team with a shitty PA announcer and gotten SOMETHING for him!
              that's what I was thinking.....what, they are not going to have a human voice involved any more? Sounds like a BS excuse to me.

However, maybe that took some kind of poll and found that there were many people who feel like Theo about him, and just decided to dump him for that reason. Personally, I LIKE a guy who gets all amped doing the announcing. F it, its entertainment! Screw "professional". Some people may love Merrill Reese or hate him for the same reason....whatever. To each his own.
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Never liked Baker from day one. Fake overdone voice. Remember going to the first Phillies game where he took the mike. Turned off right away. Loved the way Matt Goukas Sr handled the chore at Franklin Field. Simple. Authoritative. Classy.

Baker put on that voice. Not like Zinkoff, who let his colorful personality captivate us at Convention Hall and the Spectrum.

I'm sure guys and gals who grew up with Baker got used to him and don't like "institutions" being ushered out rudely. But hey...I hope for improvement. Heck I'd love to do it, but I'm as old or older than Baker probably. I used to do PA work at my high school games and fashioned the style after Goukas. The Eagles probably want somebody young and as bombastic as the music that blares during all those endless delays.

Comment

Originally posted by Theo View Post
                  I think I'm one of the very few who is glad to hear this. I love him at Phillies games. But I have never been able to stand him doing Eagles games. I guess when I think of stadium announcers for football, I just want the name of the players involved, and down and distance. Nothing flashy. He always seemed to try and throw some flash into it, especially after big plays. Dont get me wrong, I understand the deal. Eagles guy, getting excited and trying to help fans get excited. I get it. But just my own personal preference, especially after hearing public address guys in other stadiums, straight forward, basic...almost boring, just seems more professional. Listening to Baker do Eagles games always made me think I was watching Arena league or wrestling or something.

Have you ever been to a Sixers game? It is the absolutely worst.

Comment

Originally posted by jurgensen View Post
                    Never liked Baker from day one. Fake overdone voice. Remember going to the first Phillies game where he took the mike. Turned off right away. Loved the way Matt Goukas Sr handled the chore at Franklin Field. Simple. Authoritative. Classy.

Baker put on that voice. Not like Zinkoff, who let his colorful personality captivate us at Convention Hall and the Spectrum.

I'm sure guys and gals who grew up with Baker got used to him and don't like "institutions" being ushered out rudely. But hey...I hope for improvement. Heck I'd love to do it, but I'm as old or older than Baker probably. I used to do PA work at my high school games and fashioned the style after Goukas. The Eagles probably want somebody young and as bombastic as the music that blares during all those endless delays.
                    That last sentence, that's what I'm scared of. If that's what they're shooting for, loud and bombastic, I'll beg for getting Baker back.
                    Theo

Bleedin Green in 117!!

Trey Wingo is still a geek!!

Comment

Fresh even if they wanted to take him off of the microphone give him a job behind the scenes with a nice title that sounds like a promotion. The guy has been there about as long as anyone in the organization and he deserves a job there as long as he wants one IMO.
                      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Working...
                      X