Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual Post Mortem

So what is you're overall grade?

Frankly I'm a bit surprised from what I thought would happen in say February or early March.
    Grade A
    14.29%
    Grade B
    47.62%
    Grade C
    33.33%
    Grade D
    4.76%
    Grade E
    0.00%

I never thought that we would be getting this much talent. Matthews and Huff look like first round receivers. The dbs look solid, and Smith seemed like a past year's round 2 or 3 guy to me. Of course this means other teams loaded up too. We went in with 6 picks and ended up with 7 plus a #3 or 4 next year. I'll give them a B+, but I thought they did an outstanding job of addressing needs without reaching.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

On paper, I do not think it is such a good draft. But, when you are picking at 22, you need a little luck. Unfortunately, our 1st round luck ran out when G.B. picked up Ha Ha.

With that being said, I trust Chip until his system fails. If he drafts guys that others see as a reach, then so be it.

Just MHO.

PS-It probably doesn't help that I am a little grumpy this morning also

Comment

I liked the picks except for Smith and Huff. Smith is hard to disect further since Ford and Clinton-Dix had just gone off the board. Who else should they have taken there? If they left those two and picked Smith I would have been real upset but they were gone so I am going to have to wait and see. Huff is a nice player and was good value for where he was picked however I would have liked more talent on defense or depth for the o-line. Who knows, maybe Huff will have 6-8 TDs.

The rest of the picks I liked especially the Mathews and Watkins. Reynolds may turn out to be a good player. Even the 7th rounder has nice potential.

I could see Huff and Mathews being the next wave of lead receivers and that is good considering what they had there before the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
          On paper, I do not think it is such a good draft. But, when you are picking at 22, you need a little luck. Unfortunately, our 1st round luck ran out when G.B. picked up Ha Ha.

With that being said, I trust Chip until his system fails. If he drafts guys that others see as a reach, then so be it.

Just MHO.

PS-It probably doesn't help that I am a little grumpy this morning also
          I'm grumpy everyday, and I agree with everything you said here, Pliny! They had to scramble after Ha Ha was gone, and I think they did a good job moving down and taking a player that they were comfortable with. I like the Matthews, Huff, and Watkins picks. If we score on the first four selections, it will be a good draft.
          "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Smith was a bit of reach (surprise), but other than that I thought the draft was fine. It does look like they drafted for need, and not BPA.

Comment

I flop between a B and a C. It wasn't BAD, but I think there were a couple really questionable selections there.

We did a real nice job trading and getting value. Add in the trade of Bryce Brown as well.......that has to be considered. Am I happy about that? Not really. Something happens with Shady and I think we will regret that one. but.....you can plan things SOLELY based on injury possibilities.

I also can't avoid thinking about the fact that we put ourselves in a position of drafting TWO WR's in our first three picks.

That is why I bounce back form a B to a C. Too many variables to really zero in on the whole thing. I like a few of these kids tho, so I am not going to slam the Eagles as a whole.
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I gave them a C and if I could have it would have been a C-.

IMM, I sorta took a wider view.

It is sorta like the SB or bust thing. Yeah they missed Ha-HA, but whose fault is that really? I can't blame GB, I can't blame "bad luck".

They need help on D, big time at the end of last year. But they put themselves in a position to have to spend a better pick on a WR. They need big time D help and I think they only came away with middle round potential help. They maybe could have anticipated GB and done something about it(maybe they tried, dunno).

While IMM, they got some nice players, potential players, they did not address the biggest hole this team had and that was the D from front to back.

I could have lived with the O they already had (record points ) and a 2nd year in the system with Maclin coming back and Sproles on board. Now again, IMM, I take that O and get some ranked talent on D to fix the holes. And then I'm on board with rating them a A or B.

One of these days I want to pull up a couple of threads from end of January and some from February just to see what the consensus was about "How we should be fixing this team"

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                  I gave them a C and if I could have it would have been a C-.

IMM, I sorta took a wider view.

It is sorta like the SB or bust thing. Yeah they missed Ha-HA, but whose fault is that really? I can't blame GB, I can't blame "bad luck".

They need help on D, big time at the end of last year. But they put themselves in a position to have to spend a better pick on a WR. They need big time D help and I think they only came away with middle round potential help. They maybe could have anticipated GB and done something about it(maybe they tried, dunno).

While IMM, they got some nice players, potential players, they did not address the biggest hole this team had and that was the D from front to back.

I could have lived with the O they already had (record points ) and a 2nd year in the system with Maclin coming back and Sproles on board. Now again, IMM, I take that O and get some ranked talent on D to fix the holes. And then I'm on board with rating them a A or B.

One of these days I want to pull up a couple of threads from end of January and some from February just to see what the consensus was about "How we should be fixing this team"
                  I agree that they should have done more to get Ha Ha. Maybe the Sproles trade was a mistake. Giving up that 5 probably hurt our chances of moving up. But when you consider that they were picking at 22 with only 6 picks in the draft, you have to think that they did a heck of a job.

Comment

I give them an incomplete, but if forced, I am a solid B. I think Smith has potential. You cannot look at prior year numbers without seeing how he was used. If he was dropping back as a LB vs. rushing the passer. I believe you can improve pass coverage by getting to the passer more frequently and faster. It is a matter of time before any NFL QB can find an open guy and the more time he has and the WR has, the easier that is done. I like both WR. One knows the system and the other is smart enough to go to Vandy, play in the SEC and set a tone of records with little to no-one throwing the ball. The intelligence should translate into a good student and pick up the offense quickly. I like the kid from Florida and hope he sticks.

Comment

it's year 2 of a new regime and new systems on both sides of the ball.

I guess I really like that they are not trying to fit square pegs into round holes and instead are going with guys that really fit their system.

I wanted pass rush over everything. Smith may have been a reach, and may not have. Pass rushers were going quick at the point they drafted him. I do think he is the best fit for our D though. The only thing that can be debated is could we have gotten him later

I'm also thrilled that they drafted someone on each level of the D. A DE, LB, Corner and safety.

WR was needed. I'll admit that Mathews was not that high on my list. But the more I learn about him, the more I like. The Huff pick was early, but he fits a need and makes me feel better if Maclin doesn't work out and/or Riley regresses.

I thought it was a very nice draft in terms of what this team needs.

I may be a homer, but I will give them an A-

Comment

B minus with much depending on how Smith turns out by next year. Move it up to an A if he becomes solid starter but down to a C if he turns out to be Danny Wadkins distant cousin.

To expand, there is absolutely no excuse for the Birds, or any competent NFL organization, to be left scrambling in the first round. I'm sure they had gone through scenarios ad infinitum including one that mirrored reality when GB snatched HA HA at 21. They were limited by having only 6 picks and moving up to get Clinton-Dix would have cost their 4th as well...unacceptable.

So I buy that they were disappointed that none of the 'coveted 6' fell to them and that they 'settled' for Smith with the trade down...a good move under the circumstances they faced. But don't buy that they were surprised or left to scramble. To believe that would mean they were unprepared.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
                          B minus with much depending on how Smith turns out by next year. Move it up to an A if he becomes solid starter but down to a C if he turns out to be Danny Wadkins distant cousin.

To expand, there is absolutely no excuse for the Birds, or any competent NFL organization, to be left scrambling in the first round. I'm sure they had gone through scenarios ad infinitum including one that mirrored reality when GB snatched HA HA at 21. They were limited by having only 6 picks and moving up to get Clinton-Dix would have cost their 4th as well...unacceptable.

So I buy that they were disappointed that none of the 'coveted 6' fell to them and that they 'settled' for Smith with the trade down...a good move under the circumstances they faced. But don't buy that they were surprised or left to scramble. To believe that would mean they were unprepared.
                          I'm not at all upset the way it turned out after screwing up the deal. The only thing that you question is if they should have taken another player other than Smith. Would you have been happier if they moved down 10 spots and then drafted him just because supposedly other people had him in the second round? They got their guy period. He's a good ballplayer. Picking so late in the first round sucks. I never thought Ha Ha would last to 21 the way everybody seems to covet safeties the last couple of years, especially with all the hybrid defenses being played. The kid from Stanford that we got looks like he might be a stud there.

Comment

Just got back from a great Wedding for my niece at the Ritz Carlton in Naples. Just an unbelievable Hollywood Production!
                            got to see some of the draft & I understand the trade with the Browns from #22 to #26 after Clinton-Dix got taken by the Pack. Don't listen to the "talking heads" about Marcus Smith. I Was watching when Ray Lewis said "This is a GREAT pick for the Eagles". My feeling is, DC, Bill Davis will Find a way to get him on the field in 2014 & he should replace Cole in 2015 (unless Cole takes a paycut) .Matthews was drafted to replace Avant & should start on Opening Day. After that, we're looking at guys playing ST's & make the Club. My grade is a B-\C+
                            Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Get back to me in 5 years and I'll give you my grade.

Comment

Working...
                              X