(ot) Tony Gwynn dead at 54

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (ot) Tony Gwynn dead at 54

Very sad to hear of Gwynn's death today from cancer at only 54. Doesn't seem that long ago I'd seen Tony's always smiling face on the ball field. A truly great hitter and, by all accounts, a really good person.

Fifty four is just much too young. RIP
    Last edited by tinopuno; 06-16-2014, 12:30 PM.

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
    Very sad to hear of Gwynn's death today from cancer at only 54. Doesn't seem that long ago I'd seen Tony's always smiling face on the ball field. A truly great hitter and, bay all accounts, a really good person.

Hear, hear. Rest in peace, Mr. Gwynn. Thanks for the memories.

Comment

I swear there's no such thing as good news anymore. I just got bad news concerning two good friends today. This sucks!
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Sorry to hear about your friends 60 and also about Gwynn. There are far too many people dealing with cancer these days.
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Very sad to hear of Gwynn's death today from cancer at only 54. Doesn't seem that long ago I'd seen Tony's always smiling face on the ball field. A truly great hitter and, by all accounts, a really good person.

Amen.
          "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
            Sorry to hear about your friends 60 and also about Gwynn. There are far too many people dealing with cancer these days.

True, but I count myself among the "good news" group!
            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Tony Gwynn always appeared to be a very good person in addition to a really fine, legitimate Hall of Fame caliber baseball player. It's sad to hear about his untimely passing.

I didn't realize he had cancer, but I know I was concerned about him because of his extreme weight.

RIP Mr. Padre.

Comment

RIP Tony and 60, sorry about your friends
                We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                  RIP Tony and 60, sorry about your friends
                  Thanks MM, and Juk too. It's just one of those weeks when the hits just keep on coming. Sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                    Thanks MM, and Juk too. It's just one of those weeks when the hits just keep on coming. Sucks.

As our brother Fresh points out, he is part of the 'Good news' group and we are all grateful for that. My personal experience with friends/acquaintances has been more similar to yours...more bad news than good. I know they've made real advances in treating some cancers. So we're way ahead of where we were even 10 years ago. Maybe thee hope that the advances have given us make the losses hurt all the more.

I heard this evening that Tony believed that his cancer (which began in a salivary gland) was the result of years of using chewing tobacco. To me, it's even more tragic when a cancer is result intentional behavior.

Everything I've heard about Tony Gwynn today since his death was announced reinforces my sense that he was a really, REALLY sweet man...like another sweet athlete that was taken much too young.

Comment

As our brother Fresh points out, he is part of the 'Good news' group and we are all grateful for that. My personal experience with friends/acquaintances has been more similar to yours...more bad news than good. I know they've made real advances in treating some cancers. So we're way ahead of where we were even 10 years ago. Maybe thee hope that the advances have given us make the losses hurt all the more.

I heard this evening that Tony believed that his cancer (which began in a salivary gland) was the result of years of using chewing tobacco. To me, it's even more tragic when a cancer is result intentional behavior.

Everything I've heard about Tony Gwynn today since his death was announced reinforces my sense that he was a really, REALLY sweet man...like another sweet athlete that was taken much too young.

OK you guy just got me to add the following line to my signature.

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

There are too many days when I seem to forget this fact!
                      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Yes sir!

One of my best buddies just blew out 3 ligaments in his knee, playing volleyball at a church function(He's 50). He started making noise about the "sucks getting older..." stuff. To which I will continue to say, "It sure beats the alternative!"

Every day is a gift!
                        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post

Every day is a gift!
                          Fresh,

Your illness, with all it's really terrible aspects, has also given you an appreciation for 'living in the moment' that many never achieve. They spend most of their lives ruminating over the past or worrying about the future.

With age, arthritis, and wrinkled ass cheeks sometimes comes a little wisdom. People my age often respond to generic questions like, "How are you today?" with the response, "Any day I wake up is a good day!" You've gotten a head start in that respect so that WHEN you get to be an old fart you will have had many years appreciating each day.

'Stay thirsty my friend' for all of life's wonders.

Comment

Fresh,

Your illness, with all it's really terrible aspects, has also given you an appreciation for 'living in the moment' that many never achieve. They spend most of their lives ruminating over the past or worrying about the future.

With age, arthritis, and wrinkled ass cheeks sometimes comes a little wisdom. People my age often respond to generic questions like, "How are you today?" with the response, "Any day I wake up is a good day!" You've gotten a head start in that respect so that WHEN you get to be an old fart you will have had many years appreciating each day.

'Stay thirsty my friend' for all of life's wonders.
                            Yeah, my buddies at the Y have the same answer everyday -"I'm on the right side of the grass*.

Comment

LOL! Good stuff. Can I use that one, 60? (As you can imagine, I get asked how I am doing about 10 times a day)

Comment

Working...
                              X