(OT) Another Phiily Genius GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (OT) Another Phiily Genius GM

Sam Hinke, Sixer's GM, joins the ranks of HOF Philly GMs Ruben Amaro Jr...who has ruined the Phillies ...and Paul Holmgren, who was instrumental in winning 2 Stanley Cups...for the Los Angeles KIngs.

Well tonight, in the NBA draft, Hinke accomplished the near impossible. He managed to use the 3rd and 10th overall picks in an absolutely loaded draft class to acquire 2 players who will probably not play a game this coming year...one guy not for the next 2 years.

You can make this shit up!

The 3rd pick went for 7 footer Joel Embiid who has both a bad back and a stress fractured foot. Boy! The Sixers spend big to acquire another Center with bad wheels. And why not? It's always worked so well in the past.

The 10th pick went for guard Elfrid Payton who was immediately traded to Orlando for Croatian forward Dario Saric. Now Saric is a pretty good player. One tiny problem...he signed a 3 year contract to ply in the Turkish League just last week and is not expected to be available to return to the NBA for at least 2 years. I'm sure Orlando hated parted with him!

Here's Sam Hinke. Just take a look a this smirking, self-satisfied horses ass.

His last name is very similar to this South Park character's last name with good reason.

Can you guess what else they have in common?

Hint:
    It's related to the composition of their brains.

I have no problem at all with this draft. Bad luck hit when Embiid got the foot injury. ...I'm really happy we didn't settle for Exum. We weren't winning next year anyway ... so we get a guy that yes, hopefully, is healthy for the following year along with another high lottery pick next year. Saric is supposed to be really good, and I can't imagine the sixers wouldn't be willing to buy out his contract at some point.

Comment

I agree with fly. The Sixers are taking a slow build aproach and trying to get the right people to win long term. I like that. Embiid is a big risk but has the highest upside of anyone in the draft. They also got a 1st & 2nd in the trade for Saric. They need time to build but in 2016 this team could be special and stay that way for a long time.
      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
        I agree with fly. The Sixers are taking a slow build aproach and trying to get the right people to win long term. I like that. Embiid is a big risk but has the highest upside of anyone in the draft. They also got a 1st & 2nd in the trade for Saric. They need time to build but in 2016 this team could be special and stay that way for a long time.
        OK!

Maybe I pulled the trigger too fast on Hinke! To be perfectly honest, I used to be a very big Sixer fan and followed them closely. Until the late 80's, Philly's NBA team had always been a player (First the Warriors, then Syracuse Nats who became the Sixers). Since then, with the brief tease of the Iverson era, they've been wandering in the wilderness with medicore records and one lousy trade, failed draft or poor FA signing after another.

Living in upstate NY and having paid little attention to the Sixers other than their very mediocre record during the last decade, I guess I just assumed Hinke was another in the line of meh GM's.

Maybe he really has a PLAN?
        Last edited by tinopuno; 06-27-2014, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
          OK!

Maybe I pulled the trigger too fast on Hinke! To be perfectly honest, I used to be a very big Sixer fan and followed them closely. Until the late 80's, Philly's NBA had always been a player (First the Warriors, then Syracuse Nats who became the Sixers). Since then, with the brief tease of the Iverson era, they've been wandering in the wilderness with medicore records and one lousy trade, failed draft or poor FA signing after another.

Living in upstate NY and having paid little attention to the Sixers other than their very mediocre record during the last decade, I guess I just assumed Hinke was another in the line of meh GM's.

Maybe he really has a PLAN?
          I haven't really followed them much in quite awhile, but that was another funny as all hell post T!
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Embiid seemed positively elated at the opportunity to be part of the Sixers! Here he is right after the draft announcement ->

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/90D...4jG.2edOEflfBr
            "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
              Embiid seemed positively elated at the opportunity to be part of the Sixers! Here he is right after the draft announcement ->

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/90D...4jG.2edOEflfBr

You can't fake enthusiasm like Embiid shows there! You get the sense that all his dreams came true last night.

Comment

Everyone (media) wants to put bandaids on the Sixers - ask Ruben Amaro how that's working out

The fans will show up when they win - or maybe that's just Phillies fans in general

http://deadspin.com/which-mlb-fans-a...ers-1590452742

Comment

I think the main issue that comes down here is both of those moves are boom or bust type moves. I can see doing that with one of those picks but not both.

I have real reservations about Saric, why would he sign a 3 yr deal overseas the week of the NBA draft? Either he was getting no play from any other NBA team or he just doesn't want to play in the NBA. To me he is much more of a risk than Embiid

Embiid is a huge risk , he has the same injury that for us old guys remember cost Andrew Tony his career. It has cost many NBA big men their careers. What makes Hinkie think its going to be any different with Embiid? He got too caught up in the what could have beens on Embiid, I personally don't think the kid will be anything more than a backup in the league when he actually can get on the court

The jury is out on Hinkie in my opnion. Lets look at this way, he had the 6th and 11th picks last year and 3 and 10 this year and he turned it into MCW (quality pick) Noel and EMbiid both have medicals and a kid in Saric who may not want to play in the NBA> so to use a baseball term he is batting .250 right now. Hardly great.
                  Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I'll take a contrary opinion. I understand they are building the future but this is mailing in the coming season before it starts. Sure they may be competitive in the future:
                    1- if any of these players learns to shoot
                    2- if noel is fully recovered and stays healthy and turns out to be a good player
                    3- if Saric comes here in 2-3 years and is not another european bust
                    4- if Embiid isn't a walking injury and if he isn't a bust (only four years playing bball). He's a gamble on talent and a gamble on injury
                    5- if they get another high pick next year that isn't wasted.

That's a lot of ifs and I'm probably leaving some out as I stopped caring about the sixers long ago. Soccer has it right when they relegate bad teams instead of letting them get the good talent. Cleveland, Sixers, Orlando all take advantage of this and still f it up. It just makes the leage look bad (worse?).

Comment

I wonder just how a bad team goes about getting good in the NBA. It's really not like other sports. It seems like it's almost impossible to build a team unless you luck out and win the lottery a year when a true superstar is coming out of college.
                      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                        I wonder just how a bad team goes about getting good in the NBA. It's really not like other sports. It seems like it's almost impossible to build a team unless you luck out and win the lottery a year when a true superstar is coming out of college.
                        That seems to basically be it. I'm not much of a basketball fan but this is the first Sixers GM in a while who seems to have a good plan -- we will see how the picks turn out. The Sixers have swung for the fences two years in a row basically -- Noel was supposedly the best talent last year (but fell due to his injury), and Embiid much the same this year. It's a risk, but the safer picks would have had much less upside, and they are basically planning to suck as badly as possible until they have the high-end talent ready. It's gotta be hard to take for fans to know the team is going to suck, but getting those high picks kind of requires it.

Perhaps the strategy this year might have been different if they got Wiggins -- pair Noel and Wiggins this year, maybe try for a high-end free agent, and see how it goes. But once things changed around with Embiid's injury, and he was probably the higher-end talent anyways, the Sixers were going to suck this year -- so why take a safer but less talented player who might amount to a handful more wins this year? So they went for Saric, who won't add any unwanted wins next year but would be ready once the talent is healthy. And he managed to trade down two spots to do it, getting back first round pick the Sixers traded away in the Bynum trade, which gives them trade flexibility again (they basically were unable to trade any of their first round picks until 2018 I think because of it -- it was lottery protected so could have been a 2015, 2016 or 2017 pick meaning the Sixers couldn't trade any of those).

Saric was at the NBA draft and left no doubt he was coming. Might be two years (he can opt out), or maybe the Sixers could buy out his Turkish contract after one, though it sounds like there's no specific clause for that in the contract. Not sure why he pulled the move, but perhaps a young foreign kid wants to play closer to home for a couple of years until he (or his game) matures more. He was going to be a top 10 pick I'm pretty sure, so staying in Europe must have been something he wanted to do for the short term, and made his move before the draft so whoever drafted him did it with eyes open.

It does seem risky taking Embiid with his injuries -- there is a pretty long list of big men whose bodies really could not support the strain of the NBA workload (Oden, Yao Ming, Bynum, Walton, etc.) and were constantly injured. And Embiid got these injuries with a very light workload (20 some minutes a game, and was out a part of the season) in one year in college. But I think others have had the injury and been OK (Ilgauskus I think I heard) so maybe taking the year off and making sure it's healed wouldn't be the worst thing. But I guess the Sixers are swinging for the fences -- if it works out they could be really good, and if it doesn't they will suck and be in position to draft high again I guess. Seems like being just pretty good is an NBA curse which it's hard to get out of.

We'll see how well they evaluate talent, but the trades seem to have gone well -- the Holiday trade has brought in a boatload, and it seems like they got a good haul for dropping two spots (or rather, taking the player the Magic really wanted and trading him). They may not succeed, but they do seem to have a plan and are sticking to it (even if it means sucking again on-court next year).

Comment

Noel played great in his debut. So, he'll play this year and get his intro to the NBA. Then Embiid will be ready next and the two of them can own the interior. Then Daric will be added. In the meantime, the Sixers will still suck next year and get a top 10 pick who will be added when Embiid starts playing.

So, three years and then they'll be awesome for the next ten years.

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan View Post
                            Noel played great in his debut. So, he'll play this year and get his intro to the NBA. Then Embiid will be ready next and the two of them can own the interior. Then Daric will be added. In the meantime, the Sixers will still suck next year and get a top 10 pick who will be added when Embiid starts playing.

So, three years and then they'll be awesome for the next ten years.
                            The plan sounds great, let's see if the execution works out. It would also be nice of either would be able to play next year with Noel but that can be lived with if it works out in the end.
                            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                            Hope is not a strategy
                            RIP

Comment

Working...
                            X