Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I'm SHOCKED I tell you, SHOCKED"

Belichick offers press no explanation for deflated footballs

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick said Thursday he was "shocked" when he was informed of the allegations that his team used balls that were deflated after they were inspected by officials before the game according to ESPN.com.

In a press conference that lasted eleven minutes and that some reporters described as surreal, Belichick took no questions but instead read a lengthy statement. He said the Patriots are fully cooperating with the NFL's investigation and was "totally unaware" of the controversy until Monday morning.. "In my entire coaching career, never talked to any player or staff member about football air pressure," Belichick said. He went on to say that the footballs he uses at practice are as bad as possible to prepare his players for any playing condition. The condition of the football is not an excuse. "In my entire coaching career, I have never talked to any player or staff member about football air pressure." He said in the future he will have his players practice with footballs that over-inflated because of this controversy.

Under NFL rules, no alteration of the footballs is allowed once they are approved. If a person is found breaking league rules and tampering with the footballs, that person could face up to a $25,000 fine and potentially more discipline. It will be really interesting how Roger Goodell handles this as he is on the record in Bountygate and other controversies in saying that ignorance of a transgression will not be accepted as an excuse.

Now th buck get passed to QB Tom Brady, who will address the media Thursday afternoon and will reportedly talk more about how he likes his footballs. No one is expecting Tom Terrific to admit any prior knowledge of the deflated footballs, either. If a smoking gun is ever found in the case, expect the blame to fall on some unfortunate ball boy.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
    Belichick offers press no explanation for deflated footballs
    "In my entire coaching career, never talked to any player or staff member about football air pressure," Belichick said. He went on to say that the footballs he uses at practice are as bad as possible to prepare his players for any playing condition. The condition of the football is not an excuse. "In my entire coaching career, I have never talked to any player or staff member about football air pressure." He said in the future he will have his players practice with footballs that over-inflated because of this controversy.
    How can he say "NEVER"? A football coach for close to 40 years has NEVER talked once about football air pressure but yet admits he wants to use footballs in practice that are as bad as possible which would mean that he does talk to his equipment staff about the footballs.

You don't think Brady ever said to Bill, "you know Bill, I really have an easier time with the football if it's a little under-inflated? Anything we can do about that?"

I wish the ball boy would rat Brady out and tell the league that he was instructed by the equipment manager to let air out of the balls after they had been approved.
    Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

So the question to Brady is a simple one, "How could you handle the ball on every play and not notice something that was so obvious a defensive guy who rarely touches the ball noticed it was underinflated immediately?" A follow up to both Brady and Bellicheat "The Colts thought the balls were under inflated after the November game and the Ravens also suggested it had happened after the Divisional game. Given all of the attention on it, how could you possibly not know anything about it?"

And maybe another one for Belli-cheat "You know Bill, the Ravens thought you cheated with the eligible receiver ploy and the under inflated balls during the Divisional game. The Colts thought you had cheated during the regular season game in November and now you've been found cheating again after spy-gate. Are you losing your touch at cheating? Any plans to bring in a new consultant to help you improve at your cheating schemes? A report in the Boston Globe says you plan to interview Barry Bonds, Tonya Harding, Lance Armstrong, and Bobby Bowden. Any comment on the report?"
      Last edited by Jukin; 01-22-2015, 11:38 AM.
      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Where is the NFL in all this ? If so many people are finding issue with the balls, how the fuck do you not look into it ?
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

So here's what they did. They defeated all of the balls except that one that the kicker was using. And as Rooney says, why don't both teas use the same ball? It sounds to me like you get one pound of air to "play with" to fit your QB's preference and the Pats went overboard.

Rooney says both teams should use same footballs

Steelers president Art Rooney II said Wednesday he expects the NFL competition committee to look at the rule that makes each team responsible for providing its own football during games, Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports. This comes on the heels of the Patriots being investigated for allegedly deflating balls during last week's AFC championship game against the Colts.

The investigation revealed 11 of the 12 game-used balls by the Patriots were underinflated by 2 pounds each. Under NFL rules, no alteration of the footballs is allowed once they are approved by officials before the game.

“The one thing I would say is this rule where we use two different sets of balls is relatively new, and frankly, I am not sure why we came to this conclusion,” Rooney said. “I assume that this is something that the competition committee looks at.”

The competition committee will meet at the owner's meeting March 22-25 in Phoenix.

The balls are required to be inflated between 12 1⁄2 and 13 1⁄2 pounds per square inch and weigh between 14 and 15 ounces. Once approved by the game referee, the balls are put into bags and are set on the sidelines for each team.

Rooney said for years the officials would be the ones responsible for game balls, and both teams would use the same ones. Rooney thinks the same practice should be used today.

“As far as I am concerned, I think we ought to use the same ball and not have each side kind of have their own football available to them,” Rooney said. “It seems like it would be an easy answer to this.”

Rooney said he's heard of players doctoring balls, especially kickers. Kickers used to go through great lengths to soften balls before the NFL instituted a “kicking” ball.

“Certainly, it wouldn't be the first time I've heard something like that,” Rooney said.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
            So the question to Brady is a simple one, "How could you handle the ball on every play and not notice something that was so obvious a defensive guy who rarely touches the ball noticed it was underinflated immediately?" A follow up to both Brady and Bellicheat "The Colts thought the balls were under inflated after the November game and the Ravens also suggested it had happened after the Divisional game. Given all of the attention on it, how could you possibly not know anything about it?"

And maybe another one for Belli-cheat "You know Bill, the Ravens thought you cheated with the eligible receiver ploy and the under inflated balls during the Divisional game. The Colts thought you had cheated during the regular season game in November and now you've been found cheating again after spy-gate. Are you losing your touch at cheating? Any plans to bring in a new consultant to help you improve at your cheating schemes? A report in the Boston Globe says you plan to interview Barry Bonds, Tonya Harding, Lance Armstrong, and Bobby Bowden. Any comment on the report?"
            Gold Jerry! Gold!!

Comment

What was Belicheck's first job in the NFL?? Wasn't it ball boy??
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

"ballboy" was totally different where Bill was involved. It required kneepads and a purty face
                We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Now Brady is lying through his teeth.
                  Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
                    Now Brady is lying through his teeth.
                    In a matter of 4 days, I've gone from liking/admiring Brady to now regarding him as a cheating, lying unprincipled piece of shit.

The NFL and the Officials are also complicit in this cluster fuck:

- The officials, not because they're part of a conspiracy, but because so many are simply incompetent.
                    - And Roger and his cohorts at command central again show that they are running a multi $Billion international enterprise with approximately the same organizational skills as Little Johnny selling snow cones from Radio Flyer Wagon.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
                      In a matter of 4 days, I've gone from liking/admiring Brady to now regarding him as a cheating, lying unprincipled piece of shit.

The NFL and the Officials are also complicit in this cluster fuck:

- The officials, not because they're part of a conspiracy, but because so many are simply incompetent.
                      - And Roger and his cohorts at command central again show that they are running a multi $Billion international enterprise with approximately the same organizational skills as Little Johnny selling snow cones from Radio Flyer Wagon.
                      I've always admired Tom (even though I can't stand their fans). It was sad watching him tap dance today. Fess up!!

Comment

He's a dirtbag, he's always been a dirtbag, will always BE a dirtbag.

http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Fresh, I hear him almost daily and he seems to be nothing but class. I disregard what he says on the field because it's in the heat of the battle stuff. Now I hear this and it's got to make you think. Then again, Phil Niekro writes a book on how he cheated and they put him in the HOF.

Comment

He's a big phony, 60.
                            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                              He's a big phony, 60.
                              It sure looks that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X