X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Mihalik-Round 7

The Final Pick is the Biggest of Them All
    Posted: May 2nd, 2015 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | Filed under:

The 2015 draft is over for the Eagles. In the 7th round, they drafted Boston College DE Brian Mihalik.

This kid is huge at 6-9, 302. He is surprisingly athletic. Check out these numbers:

40 – 4.89
    BP – 23
    VJ – 35.5
    BJ – 10’2
    SS – 4.37
    3C – 7.23

Wow. I don’t know if you realize how good that is. Here is JJ Watt’s Combine workout at 6-5, 290:

40 – 4.84
    BP – 34
    VJ – 37
    BJ – 10’0
    SS – 4.23
    3C – 6.88

Mihalik is a gifted athlete.

I am not comparing him to Watt as a player. Watt went early because he was dominant on the field. Mihalik had 4.5 sacks last year and is talented, but is nowhere close to Watt in terms of football ability or potential.

Mihalik played RDE, LDE and DT for BC. They mostly ran 4-man lines, but occasionally went to a 3-4 look. He lined up as a 3-4 DE vs Penn State and had a beautiful sack of Christian Hackenberg. Mihalik just threw the RG out of his way and engulfed the QB. Really impressive.

He is talented, but was awkward at 4-3 DE. I think he is best suited to play in the 3-4.

Taking a chance on a guy like this in the 7th round is smart. Ray Rhodes used a 1st round pick on a similar player back in 1997 and it was a disaster. Jon Harris was a complete bust in the NFL. Mihalik is a better scheme fit and is going to work with a terrific DL coach. I think he can definitely play in the NFL.

The Eagles wanted help for the DL. They looked at a variety of players from a variety of schools. In the end, they seemed to go with the biggest athlete they found.

Solid pick with good potential
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"
Working...
X