Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Thief" is getting bigger-we'll see

Eagles Marcus Smith Is Starting To At Least Look The Part

Posted by GarryCobb BREAKING NEWS, Eagles, Linebackers, News Monday, May 18th, 2015

MarcusSmith10“Physically, he looks different”, Eagles Pro Bowl outside linebacker Connor Barwin said to Comcast Sportsnet about second-year outside linebacker Marcus Smith. “He gained 15 pounds, he put on a lot of muscle, He’s one of the stronger guys on our defense now. He took the offseason and did what he needed to do, which was get bigger, stronger.”

There’s a reason Barwin is observing the second year OLB Marcus Smith. He knows that with Trent Cole gone and Brandon Graham being promoted to the starting lineup, the Birds desperately need some depth at the position. They need somebody who is going to push Graham and be able to come off the bench and get to the quarterback from the OLB spot, which is the number one pass rush position in the three-four defense.

Smith could help with pass rush pressure, if the light gets turned on. As a linebacker, he’s supposed to be an enforcer on the football field whenever he takes the field whether it be on defense or special teams.

The fact that they wouldn’t use him last year on special teams is an indictment of his heart. It’s an insult. I’ve never heard of a team not wanting to use a backup linebacker on Special Teams. It’s unheard of.

I think it inadvertently got nearly the entire scouting department fired. Seeing a heartless linebacker be drafted in the first round stained everybody involved. You can bet it didn’t helped Howie Roseman. Smith made a lot of impressions that he must change.

The fact that former Eagles Pro Bowl tackle and assistant coach Tra Thomas said he’s got the body of a high schooler, should have made Smith so mad that they had to run him out of the weight room. He had all those tattoo’s on this boney arms.

The light needs to come on this year with Smith, so that he understands that he should build a reputation around the Nova Care Complex that he’s going to be a warrior from now on. He needs to learn what is expected of a outside linebacker.

As a first round pick, Smith is supposed to be driven to be great. He is supposed to be pushing his body in this time of year in the weight room. He should be physically imposing because he will be asked to outmuscle and out quick monstrous offensive tackles around the NFL.

Barwin, who doesn’t have to tell anybody he’s an NFL linebacker, when he walks into a room, took notice that Smith is starting to at least look the part, but that’s not all that will be asked of the second-year linebacker. That’s just the start.

“Now we’re just excited to see what happens when we put the pads on”, Barwin added to his initial comment.

Barwin is simply saying, the muscles are one thing, but the heart and drive are another. There’s got to be a burning desire within Smith to kick butt when he steps on the field in the summer. He’s got to refuse to take anything from anybody.

Smith will need to first earn his respect from his teammates. He didn’t do that a year ago. He was what we used to call “A THIEF”. He was stealing money last year from the Eagles. We used to use the term “Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves”, when we caught guys not giving a full effort.

Whether Smith likes it or not, all his teammates are monitoring him. They want to see if he becomes a teammate they can count on.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

the comments about how he needs to find that drive etc....pointless, IMV. It's something you either have, or you don't. I don't think "drive" is something you develop. Nor "heart". Brian Dawkins had that in spades. Trent Cole had it, for goodness sake. Which is why I hated seeing him go. Barwin has it, as does Demeco. Perhaps it can "run off". Perhaps simply the level of embarassment he should be feeling wtll stimulate it. But I think it is something that is part of your nature. Maybe he can turn it on for a short period, but doubt is is something that a guy who struggles with drive will ever truly change.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
      the comments about how he needs to find that drive etc....pointless, IMV. It's something you either have, or you don't. I don't think "drive" is something you develop. Nor "heart".
      Strongly agree!

With the possible exception of some of the offensive skill positions, where superbly talented athletes can excel without being "driven" (e.g. Randy Moss & Ricky Watters), guys rarely succeed at the NFL level without having fire in their belly. I believe this is especially true with those defensive players who have to bang heads on literally every play.

I hope Cobb is wrong in his contention that Smith lacked/lacks heart. If he's right, that means the Eagles' brain trust has totally wasted two 1st round picks in the last 5 years on heartless pussies. That's no way to get to the big dance.

Comment

Well, he has training camp and preseason to change everyone's mind. If not, he should be given lunch money and a road map.
        "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
          Well, he has training camp and preseason to change everyone's mind. If not, he should be given lunch money and a road map.
          He'll get a shot because they have an investment in him, but he's still a long shot to mike the team. Friekin Thief.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
            Strongly agree!

With the possible exception of some of the offensive skill positions, where superbly talented athletes can excel without being "driven" (e.g. Randy Moss & Ricky Watters), guys rarely succeed at the NFL level without having fire in their belly. I believe this is especially true with those defensive players who have to bang heads on literally every play.

I hope Cobb is wrong in his contention that Smith lacked/lacks heart. If he's right, that means the Eagles' brain trust has totally wasted two 1st round picks in the last 5 years on heartless pussies. That's no way to get to the big dance.
            Crap, I had happily forgotten about the OTHER one.....
            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I'll give him a pass for last season. Sometime a kid just needs to grow up. Now if he fucks the pooch this year , he can rot
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                I'll give him a pass for last season. Sometime a kid just needs to grow up. Now if he fucks the pooch this year , he can rot
                You're a nice guy MM. If the kid couldn't even play STs as a linebacker what does that tell you about him? Good riddance.

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                  the comments about how he needs to find that drive etc....pointless, IMV. It's something you either have, or you don't. I don't think "drive" is something you develop. Nor "heart". Brian Dawkins had that in spades. Trent Cole had it, for goodness sake. Which is why I hated seeing him go. Barwin has it, as does Demeco. Perhaps it can "run off". Perhaps simply the level of embarassment he should be feeling wtll stimulate it. But I think it is something that is part of your nature. Maybe he can turn it on for a short period, but doubt is is something that a guy who struggles with drive will ever truly change.
                  Usually true, but sometimes people need a wake-up call. Many of these guys have skated through life on pure natural-born athleticism. Sometimes they get to the highest level, and need to fall before they realize that just going with what worked for the first 20 years isn't enough to compete at the highest level.

Let's hope that he is one of those.

Comment

The kid is damned either way. Barwin, who we all agree is setting a great tone for the D, is saying that the kid has gained 15 lbs and put on more muscle and is much stronger. That bodes well for someone seeing an area they need to improve and working towards that objective. I am not ready to place the bust label on him just yet.

Comment

he's already labeled a bust, might as well try to put a positive spin on it and hope. If he plays ANYTHING like his last college season, we have a gem. If he was truly underside and lacking in strength last season, his confidence was probably eroded. If he got pushed around everyday in practice, he shouldn't have been on the field.Anyone who has been in a good strength and conditioning program knows the level of confidence it builds. It will be interesting to watch this situation. I am going to hope for the best, if he plays well, this defense could be special.
                      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Yea I guess I don't have high hope considering his first year but I'm not ready to throw him off the boat just yet. He is young and he certainly has time to make his mark on the NFL but he is a first round pick and he has to be in the rotation or he ain't ****.
                        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                        Hope is not a strategy
                        RIP

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                          he's already labeled a bust, might as well try to put a positive spin on it and hope. If he plays ANYTHING like his last college season, we have a gem. If he was truly underside and lacking in strength last season, his confidence was probably eroded. If he got pushed around everyday in practice, he shouldn't have been on the field.Anyone who has been in a good strength and conditioning program knows the level of confidence it builds. It will be interesting to watch this situation. I am going to hope for the best, if he plays well, this defense could be special.

Sounds good to me.

Comment

I'm not buying. Why wasn't he putting on weight after he was drafted and during the season? How about Chip's sports science? Don't hold your breath waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                              I'm not buying. Why wasn't he putting on weight after he was drafted and during the season? How about Chip's sports science? Don't hold your breath waiting.
                              I doubt there is a player in the NFL, excluding NTs who gain weight during the season.

Comment

Working...
                              X