X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye popping numbers-Boykin rocks!!!

Three Eagles Numbers That Matter

By Sheil Kapadia | June 2, 2015 at 9:30 am

Here is our weekly look at three Eagles numbers that matter.

59 – That’s Brandon Boykin’s success rate, according to Football Outsiders. Success rate is defined as “the share of targets on which the corner prevented a successful gain (45 percent of needed yards on first down, 60 percent on second down and 100 percent on third down).”

Boykin's mark ranked tied for fifth in the entire NFL last season, behind only New England's Darrelle Revis, Indianapolis' Vontae Davis, Buffalo's Corey Graham and Houston's Kareem Jackson.

I remember Boykin saying he felt like he played better in 2014 than he did the year before. Many looked at interceptions (six in 2013; one in 2014), but if you look at success rate, the numbers back up his claim (he was at 56 percent in 2013). It doesn't seem like Eagles coaches are going to give him a shot on the outside, but Boykin will likely enter free agency at the age of 25 after this season, and someone's going to get a really good corner.
    Meanwhile, it's fascinating to compare Byron Maxwell and Cary Williams here. Maxwell posted a 51 percent success rate, slightly below Williams (52 percent).

To be clear, this is just one metric, and I think Maxwell is the superior player. But it will be fascinating to see how he performs without Earl Thomas behind him, while Williams will get a chance to team up with the most talented secondary in the NFL.

27 - Where Chip Kelly ranked in Football Outsiders' Aggressive Index. The metric measures the willingness of coaches to go for it on fourth down, compared to the league average.

In the article, Aaron Schatz explains that the metric has some flaws - most notably that it doesn't control for coaches punting when they have big leads late. But still, the numbers show Kelly was much more conservative in 2014 than he was in Year 1.

Suggested: Three Fish to Get Hooked on this Summer
    The feeling here is a lot of that has to do with his confidence in the offense. If Kelly feels like he has a smooth-operating juggernaut on that side of the ball, expect him to be more aggressive in fourth-down situations (especially if the run game is clicking).

If he has a group he doesn't trust up front and a mistake-prone QB, expect him to finish down near the bottom of the Aggressive Index in future years.

24.7 - The percentage of throws to Zach Ertz that were deemed uncatchable, according to Football Outsiders. Ertz was targeted 89 times, and per their charting, he had no shot at 22 of those passes. That was the seventh-highest rate of uncatchable targets among tight ends.

Eagles quarterbacks overthrew Ertz 18.0 percent of the time when targeting him. That was second-highest among all tight ends. In other words, your eyes weren't deceiving you. The numbers back up the image in your head of Ertz running free on a corner route only to have Nick Foles or Mark Sanchez sail the throw.

Ertz had a good year, finishing with 58 catches for 702 yards. But the numbers suggest those numbers could have been even better. On film, Ertz got open consistently, and his drop rate of 2.2 percent was fifth-lowest among tight ends.

But the coaches didn't trust him as a blocker in the run game so he was on the sideline for nearly 50 percent of the snaps. If Ertz can improve in that area, and if the quarterbacks can be more accurate when targeting him, his numbers will see another boost in 2015.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Boykin seems to have a good measure of talent, and football IQ. I am wondering what his role will be this season....but I'm glad he's here.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
      Boykin seems to have a good measure of talent, and football IQ. I am wondering what his role will be this season....but I'm glad he's here.
      And he'll end up a pro bowl CB for somebody else!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
        And he'll end up a pro bowl CB for somebody else!!

Repeat after me...."I believe in Chip!" LOL!
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
          Repeat after me...."I believe in Chip!" LOL!
          Stubborn??? I get the part about you can't have a team of undersized guys, but this Boykin thing is getting ridiculous!

Comment

I don't think Boykin is ever going to be a Pro Bowl player regardless of where he plays. The statistics basically don't reveal much. Boykin was covering (at best) the third receiver on each team we faced.
            "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
              I don't think Boykin is ever going to be a Pro Bowl player regardless of where he plays. The statistics basically don't reveal much. Boykin was covering (at best) the third receiver on each team we faced.
              Well I sure hope you're right because if he does make one he'll be doing it against us.

Comment

Another "Chip Sumper"!

Kendricks Focused On Being His Best

By Dave Spadaro

Business is business. When reports swirled prior to the 2015 NFL Draft that the Eagles might be open to trading linebacker Mychal Kendricks, there was only one thing for Kendricks to do: Keep working hard and retaining his focus.

“It didn’t bother me at all,” Kendricks said Tuesday. “Whatever happens, happens. I’ve got no hard feelings toward any of the business moves made. I think of myself as a businessman as well and I would do what’s best for the team if that’s what I feel. I’m going to do my job and that’s to play football and to be the best I can be on the field and off the field.”

Kendricks, of course, wasn’t traded and he is now part of a re-stocked inside linebacker position that looks to be a strength for this Eagles defense. Along with veteran DeMeco Ryans and Kiko Alonso, acquired in the trade that sent running back LeSean McCoy to Buffalo, Kendricks provides three starter-experienced players to a position ravaged by injuries in 2014. Add in young veteran Najee Goode, who was injured in Week 1 last year, and third-round draft pick Jordan Hicks, and the Eagles are deep and talented with multiple options.

Is it possible, Kendricks was asked on Tuesday after the OTA session at the NovaCare Complex, that he and Alonso and Ryans could play on the field at the same time?

“I would think so. It’s a possibility,” Kendricks said. “We play the game of football and with all of the different packages that can be in place or implemented here, dude, we can anything we want. I don’t see why not.”

Kendricks said there have been no conversations with the team about a contract extension, but he would embrace the idea of being an Eagle for many years to come.

“I can’t control whatever goes on,” Kendricks said. “I like Philly, and I would like to finish where I started. It’s my home. I’ve been here for a while now. I know the lay of the land, I know the people. I like it out here

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                  Stubborn??? I get the part about you can't have a team of undersized guys, but this Boykin thing is getting ridiculous!
                  Bill Davis was just quoted as saying that Boykin not getting an opportunity on the outside last year had absolutely nothing to do with his size. ??????

What I got out of the quote was that he was saying that they either didn't think Boykin has the skills to be a starting CB, OR that he didn't show them enough during the week to deserve a shot at playing outside. Either way, I'm surprised at the comment.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                    Bill Davis was just quoted as saying that Boykin not getting an opportunity on the outside last year had absolutely nothing to do with his size. ??????

What I got out of the quote was that he was saying that they either didn't think Boykin has the skills to be a starting CB, OR that he didn't show them enough during the week to deserve a shot at playing outside. Either way, I'm surprised at the comment.
                    Let's face it Chris. Even Revise couldn't beat out our corners last year.

Comment

That s the crazy part. Our corners, especially one of em, were constantly burnt toast. It's not like Boykin needed to beat out Allen, Vincent or Taylor for the spot!

Comment

Working...
                      X