Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duck Roger, here it comes again!

Gloria Allred lashes out at NFL for letting C.J. Spillman play in 2014

California attorney Gloria Allred, who represents a woman who claims NFL player C.J. Spillman sexually assaulted her last year at a Texas hotel, issued this statement after Spillman was indicted on a sexual assault charge this week via the New York Daily News:

Once again, the NFL has clearly dropped the ball on a serious allegation of sexual assault made to the police in Texas against NFL player C.J. Spillman (who formerly played with the Dallas Cowboys).

Despite this sexual assault allegation for which Mr. Spillman is now indicted and another allegation of sexual assault made to the police in California by another alleged victim, prior to the Texas sexual assault allegation made to the police, the NFL continued to allow Mr. Spillman to play with the Dallas Cowboys.

Ironically, my client, the alleged victim in the Texas case reported the alleged sexual assault to the police on September 20, 2014, one day after NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell held a major news conference in which he stated “I got it wrong in the handling of the Ray Rice matter. I am sorry for that. I got it wrong on a number of levels – from the process that I led to the decision that I reached.”

Despite the fact that on September 26, 2014, I delivered a letter to Commissioner Goodell’s office advising him of the police report alleging rape made to the Texas police on September 20, 2014, and despite the fact that after that I spent countless hours both in New York and California with NFL investigators who were investigating allegations against Mr. Spillman, the NFL appeared to do nothing and never informed me that they would take any action or impose any discipline at all against Mr. Spillman.

I am very happy that the criminal justice system will now try to move forward to prosecute Mr. Spillman but it is shameful that the NFL has taken no meaningful action in the interim.

Their face-saving P.R. campaign which, in my opinion, was designed to make them appear to be sympathetic to victims of sexual assault or domestic violence is now revealed for what it really was, a sham and a slick P.R. trick, because their words did not match their deeds in this case.

I look forward to the criminal justice system making every effort to make Mr. Spillman accountable for what is alleged in the indictment.

The NFL failed to do what Commissioner Goodell promised. He stated “I believe in accountability. I understand the challenge before me and I will be held accountable for meeting it.”

It took the courage of my client, a very brave young woman to take action in the justice system. Clearly there is no justice in the NFL system for alleged victims of NFL players. Unfortunately, winning seems to be far more important to the NFL than taking appropriate action for alleged victims of NFL players.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
    Allred:

Ironically, my client, the alleged victim in the Texas case reported the alleged sexual assault to the police on September 20, 2014, one day after NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell held a major news conference in which he stated “I got it wrong in the handling of the Ray Rice matter. I am sorry for that. I got it wrong on a number of levels – from the process that I led to the decision that I reached.”

Despite the fact that on September 26, 2014, I delivered a letter to Commissioner Goodell’s office advising him of the police report alleging rape made to the Texas police on September 20, 2014, and despite the fact that after that I spent countless hours both in New York and California with NFL investigators who were investigating allegations against Mr. Spillman, the NFL appeared to do nothing and never informed me that they would take any action or impose any discipline at all against Mr. Spillman.

I am very happy that the criminal justice system will now try to move forward to prosecute Mr. Spillman but it is shameful that the NFL has taken no meaningful action in the interim.

Their face-saving P.R. campaign which, in my opinion, was designed to make them appear to be sympathetic to victims of sexual assault or domestic violence is now revealed for what it really was, a sham and a slick P.R. trick, because their words did not match their deeds in this case.

I look forward to the criminal justice system making every effort to make Mr. Spillman accountable for what is alleged in the indictment.

The NFL failed to do what Commissioner Goodell promised. He stated “I believe in accountability. I understand the challenge before me and I will be held accountable for meeting it.”

It took the courage of my client, a very brave young woman to take action in the justice system. Clearly there is no justice in the NFL system for alleged victims of NFL players. Unfortunately, winning seems to be far more important to the NFL than taking appropriate action for alleged victims of NFL players.
    I often disagree with Gloria Allred's public pronouncements but in this situation she hits it dead nuts. Goodell is all about PR! He is, IMO, a thoroughly unprincipled snake oil salesman who often seems blind to the reality on the ground until it's too late and he gets kicked in the face. Then he goes into PR/CYA mode and typically causes himself and the NFL even more embarrassment.

He does one thing very well though....makes the owners tons of $... and that will keep him in his job unless he does the one thing that even Washington politicians can't survive...getting caught in bed with a live boy or a dead girl.

Comment

Hmmmm. I haven't seen the video of the alleged Spillman sexual assault, have you? Without the video Ray Rice is playing until and if the case goes to court. That was concrete evidence on tape that was made available to the public, he had no choice but to suspend him. Barring that he's innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

If they suspend every player that's alleged a sexual assault, you're going to have teams paying unscrupulous women to smear division foes star players every Aug. and Sept. By no means am I sticking up for Assfuck Goodell, I think he's the worse thing that's ever happened to this league!
      Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

I think Ms. Allred might want to consider the fact that in America, you are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. If the player is convicted, he should be dealt with, but until that point, there needs to be a presumption of innocence. As noted, in the Rice case, there was indisputable evidence in the form of a video tape.

Key word is "alleged" as in alleged victim. That doesn't cut it. Sorry.

Comment

Zep & EB you said it perfectly. Unless they found evidence tht was indisputable in the NFL investigation they really can't do anythinng to him based on an accusation. He IS innocent until proven guilty. If the justice system finds him guilty then the NFL can act but until then, without incontrovertible proof he is innocent. Of course Roger could always suspend him for associating with criminals which is against the NFL rules. Being a Cowboy is proof enough on that count!
          Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
          Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Mea culpa!

Sometimes my burning hatred of Goodell interferes with my objectivity and reading skills. That and the fact that I'm senile. I thought I read that there were two allegations of sexual assault...one in Texas and one in California...and that one had already been substantiated when brought to Goodell's attention. My bad!

I should have had misgivings about any position Allred takes knowing that she is actually Emily Litella's daughter.

Comment

Working...
            X