Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fryar And Mom Convicted Of Bank Fraud

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...e-scam-details

Sad to read this... I like this guy too. Especially during his Eagles tenure.

Full Article--

Five-time Pro Bowl receiver Irving Fryar was found guilty of conspiracy and theft by deception charges Friday for his role in a mortgage scam and faces up to 10 years in prison and up to $150,000 in fines.

According to The Associated Press, Fryar and his mother, Allene McGhee, conspired to defraud six banks in south New Jersey and Philadelphia as part of a $1 million mortgage scheme.

Fryar played 17 seasons in the NFL with the Patriots, Dolphins, Eagles and Redskins. His defense attorney said Fryar was the victim of a "con artist" acquaintance, William Barksdale, who urged him to apply for multiple mortgage loans in quick succession while using the same property as collateral.

Barksdale, who as a Levittown, N.J., investment adviser arranged the loans in question, pleaded guilty to a conspiracy charge last year and is serving a 20-month prison sentence. Under his plea agreement, he testified against Fryar and McGhee.

Fryar, 52, retired in 2001 and founded the New Jerusalem House of God in Mount Holly, N.J., where he was a minister. Authorities said Fryar and McGhee provided false wage information on her loan applications and claimed she earned thousands of dollars a month as an event coordinator for the church.

According to Philly.com, Fryar rejected a plea agreement last year that would have required him to admit guilt in the case in exchange for a five-year prison sentence. McGhee turned down a similar offer, in which she could have received a three-year sentence.
    Sentencing is scheduled for Oct. 2.

He seemed like a good guy during his playing days. Guess we really know these people.

Comment

When I had my brain tumor 6 years ago Irving's sister was my head nurse. She treated me like gold when I told her so much about his career, ministry, and I was an Eagles fan. I basically became the floor's "pet". She worshiped the guy like a father as he had put her through nursing school. It seemed like a heartwarming story the way he turned his life around after he was thrown off of the Patriots due to a stabbing incident with his wife. Now he's a thief after stealing people's money and faith. You can't get much lower than that. Plus, it ruined a good story that I could tell!
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Popper,

This is a sad story. I really liked Fryar when he was with the Birds. Thought he was a solid team mate and a good example to the younger guys.

Pastors, priests, rabbis, imans etc...regardless of the religion, there is always a cynical minority of each sect's 'holy men' who are in it primarily for the money/power and/or pussy.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
          Popper,

This is a sad story. I really liked Fryar when he was with the Birds. Thought he was a solid team mate and a good example to the younger guys.

Pastors, priests, rabbis, imans etc...regardless of the religion, there is always a cynical minority of each sect's 'holy men' who are in it primarily for the money/power and/or pussy.
          That applies to more than holy men. Every walk of life has had and will continue to have these types of people. It's the darker side of human nature that the vast majority of people manage to keep suppressed.
          Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zepster View Post
            That applies to more than holy men. Every walk of life has had and will continue to have these types of people. It's the darker side of human nature that the vast majority of people manage to keep suppressed.
            Clearly, there are thieves and scoundrels in all walks of life. As you suggest, we are all subject to temptation.

But since hypocrisy and phoniness are, I believe, not only vile characteristics but also very much under conscious control, when 'holy men'...especially those who make a big public show and a lot money from the faithful by appearing to be virtuous...I think they're a little more deserving of scorn than 'Everyman' when they get caught with their pants down or their hand in the till.

End of rant!

Comment

Working...
            X