OT: Temple football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Temple football

I don't know how many of you follow Temple football, but these are exciting times for those of us who also root for the "other" football team that plays home games at Lincoln Financial Field. Temple has started its season 2-0, thumping Penn State (first win for the Owls over the Nittany Lions since 1941) and holding off what will likely be a good Cincinnati team this past Saturday in the Queen City. The Owls are receiving votes in both the AP and Coaches polls (in fact, they are first team outside the Top 25 in the AP poll as of 9/13/15).

Temple's next game is at Massachusetts this coming Saturday (9/19). Their next home game is on Saturday 10/10 against Tulane (part of a Big Easy doubleheader at the Linc with Saints/Eagles on Sunday 10/11; I intend to attend both games), and they will also host Notre Dame at the Linc on Halloween (which I will also attend).

Here's hoping both the Eagles and Owls soar over their respective competition.

Originally posted by CHIP72 View Post
    I don't know how many of you follow Temple football, but these are exciting times for those of us who also root for the "other" football team that plays home games at Lincoln Financial Field. Temple has started its season 2-0, thumping Penn State (first win for the Owls over the Nittany Lions since 1941) and holding off what will likely be a good Cincinnati team this past Saturday in the Queen City. The Owls are receiving votes in both the AP and Coaches polls (in fact, they are first team outside the Top 25 in the AP poll as of 9/13/15).

Temple's next game is at Massachusetts this coming Saturday (9/19). Their next home game is on Saturday 10/10 against Tulane (part of a Big Easy doubleheader at the Linc with Saints/Eagles on Sunday 10/11; I intend to attend both games), and they will also host Notre Dame at the Linc on Halloween (which I will also attend).

UMASS should be a bunny for you Chip. Didn't Tulane knock off somebody this weekend?
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
      UMASS should be a bunny for you Chip. Didn't Tulane knock off somebody this weekend?
      Tulane lost really bad this past weekend (for that matter, so did UMass, to Colorado) and is not a good team, and I'd expect the Owls to beat the Green Wave. (Temple beat Tulane in New Orleans last year.)

Assuming Temple plays like they have in their first two games, they should win each of their next three games (at Massachusetts, at Charlotte, vs Tulane) to get to 5-0 before getting to a tougher part of the schedule (vs Central Florida, at East Carolina, vs Notre Dame).

BTW, based on some comments I've seen on a Temple sports message board where I post, some Eagles/Temple fans will be making the trip to north Texas see the Owls play SMU on Friday 11/6 and the Eagles play the Cowboys on Sunday 11/8. I gave serious thought myself to making that trip myself, but I've decided to pass because I want to visit my brother in Houston the weekend of 11/14-11/15 (and hopefully see both Houston and Rice play on 11/14).

Comment

I watched the Temple-PSU game and was really impressed with how well Temple played. Matt Ruhle has done a fantastic job (and, unfortunately, will probably be hired away from Temple by some large football school (maybe PSU, since he is an alum!)).
        "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Not really a Temple fan outside of the fact that they're a Philly team and have been underdogs for so long. Still, I am glad to see their success and hope that it continues.

I saw flashes of it during the Al Golden regime and hated to see him leave. I hope the Rhule hangs around to see this through

Comment

Player of the Week Conference Honors for Temple Players Matakevich, Thomas:

http://www.csnphilly.com/ncaa/temple...er-of-the-week

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
              Not really a Temple fan outside of the fact that they're a Philly team and have been underdogs for so long. Still, I am glad to see their success and hope that it continues.

I saw flashes of it during the Al Golden regime and hated to see him leave. I hope the Rhule hangs around to see this through
              Yeah, my interest in Temple football really is something that only grew over the last 10 years or so. Though I've casually followed Temple football since the 1990s (and to some degree, even during the 1980s), they were so bad every single year it was hard to get behind them. It's one thing to get behind a team that is often 4-8 but has a 6-6 or 7-5 season every so often. It is quite another to get behind a team that where 4 wins is a high water mark and 2 or fewer wins is the norm, as was the case during the 1990s and most of the 2000s. Once the Owls became a more competitive team after a couple seasons under Al Golden, I became a more interested fan.

One other factor that indirectly got me interested in Temple football was Penn State joining the Big Ten. Back in the 1980s, I was a pretty big Penn State fan; I wasn't as passionate about them as I was about the Eagles, but it is possible they may have ranked second among all teams I cared about. However, I've never reconciled Penn State joining the Flyover Country Conference, I mean the Big Ten. I never cared about (and still don't care about) those Midwest teams, but I did care about Eastern college football, and I liked Penn State's rivalries with Pitt, West Virginia, and Syracuse in particular. I was still on board with Penn State during their 1994 season because it was so soon after they joined the Big Ten, but I lost a lot of interest after that. For about a 10-15 year period I paid little attention to college football, but eventually I wanted something to fill that void, and Temple (and to a lesser degree Lehigh, Lafayette, Penn, and Villanova) filled that void. I find it a nice, lower intensity (and less important but fun) diversion from the NFL.

Incidentally, I think Al Golden is proving he is a better recruiter than coach (though to be fair he's a very good recruiter). It's still a little soon to tell, but Matt Rhule looks like a much better coach than Golden or Golden's successor/Rhule's predecessor Steve Addazio.

Comment

True about Golden in hindsight. Not doing so well at Miami. I wonder how much longer he lasts there.

(Hey, Golden/Rhule!)

In the EA NCAA Football franchise(dynasty?) mode, I used to take Temple and build them into a national football power. Of course, the more prestigious the conference the more successful the recruiting effort. So I'd be forced to take Temple into the Big Ten from Independent status as a direct rival to Penn State.

As for Villanova, Reid scouting and drafting Westbrook renewed my interest in their program.

Comment

I should note that the last few years I've hoped the Cardinals would do well (except when they are playing the Eagles of course), partly because of their usually downtrodden status but partly because Bruce Arians is their head coach. Arians was Temple's head coach when he was a young man way back in the 1980s, and in retrospect did a decent job on North Broad Street. (He didn't do as well as his predecessor, the truly excellent Wayne Hardin, a College Football Hall of Fame member, but was much better than the guys who came right after him - Jerry Berndt, Ron Dickerson, and Bobby Wallace.) Arians is also a Pennsylvania native, from the York area.

I'd also like to see former Eagles assistant and new Jets head coach Todd Bowles, who played at and graduated from Temple back in the 1980s (playing under Arians) do a solid job, though obviously not on 9/27.

Comment

Temple is 4-0 for the first time since 1974
                    http://www.csnphilly.com/ncaa/temple...4-0-start-1974

Comment

Go Owls, I hope they keep it rolling.

Comment

Temple laid a major ass-whupping on Tulane, beating the Green Wave 49-10. The Owls held Tulane to 110 yards of total offense. With the win, Temple improved to 5-0.

Hopefully the Eagles hold up their end of the bargain in Philly teams beating up on New Orleans teams on the weekend of 10/10-10/11.

Comment

Temple laid a major ass-whupping on Tulane, beating the Green Wave 49-10. The Owls held Tulane to 110 yards of total offense. With the win, Temple improved to 5-0.

Hopefully the Eagles hold up their end of the bargain in Philly teams beating up on New Orleans teams on the weekend of 10/10-10/11.
                          Good win for you Chip. How about Harbough turning Michigan around too? Three shut outs in a row and they have onl given up 14 points this season after not having a defense for a decade.
                          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

IMO, Michigan is the best team in the Big Ten right now. Their only loss was a close game against an undefeated Utah team.

Comment

I did my undergraduate work (which consisted mainly of drinking heavily, being callously used by women, and attending class as little as possible) at Temple in the late 50's early 60's.

Temple was a real power back thenand could be counted on to almost win 1 or 2 games a year. (I think we went without a victory the first 2 years I was there...'58 and '59.)
                              Old Temple Stadium, in northernmost Philadelphia, only seated about 20,000. It was never filled in my years there but the awfulness of the teams provided an excuse for even heavier alcohol abuse than usual.

Temple has has it's ups and downs since the 60s and has seen some good coaches come...and go. The current HC Rhule seems to be the real deal. I see he's been extended trough 2020. Hope he actually stays that long.

Cosby apparently attended Temple in the early 60s while I was there but I have no recollection of meeting him even though he apparently stole much of his early material from me. He ran track and played a little football when he wasn't busy raping coeds.

While football sucked, Temple had pretty good BBall teams back then and held it's own with the other 4 local schools in the Big Five...LaSalle, Penn, St Joe's and Villanova. Big Five games were played at Penn's Palestra. I don't think there was a more competitive one city, multi-team atmosphere in the country than Big Five games at the Palestra. I probably didn't fully appreciate the experience then. Looking back, it was pretty special.

And finally, the most feared team cheer in all of sports....

"Owls are on the warpath...Hoot! Hoot!"

Comment

Working...
                              X