Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
    Rich Kotite thanks you!
    So does Joe Kuharich! (I think Stock is old enough to remember him.)

Comment

"I am very happy Kelly is gone at this point. He lost a ton of credability with me when he cut Desean Jackson."

Mike , this was the biggest factor for me too. I said it then and I still say it, you don't just get rid of talent like that ----- without getting equal talent back.

That was just plain stupid!

Comment

I have to say I'm somewhat surprised.

The team was not good this year -- made way too many mistakes. I don't think the talent was all *that* bad... the offense was never really shut down and always seemed close to getting on a roll, but never got there. It never had a game when it really got going though as well. I did share a lot of complaints -- the playbook seemed too simple, and wasn't nearly as creative as even the past two years under Chip himself.

The tempo thing may or may not have been figured out. I'm actually guessing not. But, when the offense is not scoring 30-40 points a game, you really can't leave your defense out to dry by doing it -- holding teams to under 20 points is hard enough with normal time of possession. In 2013 and 2014, the offense went wild enough to justify the tempo, but not in 2015.

Normally, you do give decision makers like that more time to figure stuff out -- another year with a few player changes can make a difference. Sometimes there is a just a weird mindset or rut which a team can get into, and it can take an offseason to shake it. (Just like someone like Foles can get into a groove, then lose that mojo the next season and become inconsistent). In general, thought Kelly may have deserved another year to turn things around, based purely on on-the-field stuff. Kelly did seem reluctant to change from his off-season design when it wasn't working -- a very common mistake, but one that he could well have learned from.

But... I have had the nagging sense that Kelly wasn't sure how to fix things. That would be bad. Also, if he had really lost the locker room overall, then that would be a major problem. Very hard to diagnose that kind of thing from outside. And lastly... this smacks of yet more front office intrigue. Marynowitz (who was supposedly well-regarded) was fired too. So, something got dysfunctional again, sigh. Tom Donahoe was promoted... so maybe he has Lurie's ear, and must have thought that Kelly's situation was a lost cause. Or maybe Lurie tried to change the front office structure again and Kelly refused, and the promotion was just one to make sure the spot was filled. Sounds like Lurie, Smolenski, and Roseman will be leading the search for a new coach. So maybe Roseman is back as GM.

So... this will be one hell of an interesting off season. Do we still keep Bradford? Sure seemed like he could be good in a more traditional offense. Murray might now be a great guy to have next year. Do we got back to a 4-3 defense?

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
          Yeah, I was kinda hoping that they'd trade him there if Lurie was so inclined to shed him.

Didn't someone on this board say that they saw Lurie's scowling face in the owners box during the game?
          taz was Johnny on the spot with that call!
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
            I have to say I'm somewhat surprised.

The team was not good this year -- made way too many mistakes. I don't think the talent was all *that* bad... the offense was never really shut down and always seemed close to getting on a roll, but never got there. It never had a game when it really got going though as well. I did share a lot of complaints -- the playbook seemed too simple, and wasn't nearly as creative as even the past two years under Chip himself.

The tempo thing may or may not have been figured out. I'm actually guessing not. But, when the offense is not scoring 30-40 points a game, you really can't leave your defense out to dry by doing it -- holding teams to under 20 points is hard enough with normal time of possession. In 2013 and 2014, the offense went wild enough to justify the tempo, but not in 2015.

Normally, you do give decision makers like that more time to figure stuff out -- another year with a few player changes can make a difference. Sometimes there is a just a weird mindset or rut which a team can get into, and it can take an offseason to shake it. (Just like someone like Foles can get into a groove, then lose that mojo the next season and become inconsistent). In general, thought Kelly may have deserved another year to turn things around, based purely on on-the-field stuff. Kelly did seem reluctant to change from his off-season design when it wasn't working -- a very common mistake, but one that he could well have learned from.

But... I have had the nagging sense that Kelly wasn't sure how to fix things. That would be bad. Also, if he had really lost the locker room overall, then that would be a major problem. Very hard to diagnose that kind of thing from outside. And lastly... this smacks of yet more front office intrigue. Marynowitz (who was supposedly well-regarded) was fired too. So, something got dysfunctional again, sigh. Tom Donahoe was promoted... so maybe he has Lurie's ear, and must have thought that Kelly's situation was a lost cause. Or maybe Lurie tried to change the front office structure again and Kelly refused, and the promotion was just one to make sure the spot was filled. Sounds like Lurie, Smolenski, and Roseman will be leading the search for a new coach. So maybe Roseman is back as GM.

So... this will be one hell of an interesting off season. Do we still keep Bradford? Sure seemed like he could be good in a more traditional offense. Murray might now be a great guy to have next year. Do we got back to a 4-3 defense?
            The only reason Bradford would stay was so he wouldn't have to learn a new offense so you can kiss him good by. Meet your 2016 Philadelphia Eagles, the leagues newest franchise team.

Comment

Ha ha ha, so happy that piece of garbage is gone. Really like the Tom Donahue elevation, the guy knows talent and they should listen to him.
              Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
                And lastly... this smacks of yet more front office intrigue. Marynowitz (who was supposedly well-regarded) was fired too. So, something got dysfunctional again, sigh. Tom Donahoe was promoted... so maybe he has Lurie's ear, and must have thought that Kelly's situation was a lost cause. Or maybe Lurie tried to change the front office structure again and Kelly refused, and the promotion was just one to make sure the spot was filled. Sounds like Lurie, Smolenski, and Roseman will be leading the search for a new coach. So maybe Roseman is back as GM.
                Sal Palantonio is reporting that Lurie wanted to wrest the personnel chief role from Kelly and Kelly balked. So, Lurie fired him.
                "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                  Ha ha ha, so happy that piece of garbage is gone. Really like the Tom Donahue elevation, the guy knows talent and they should listen to him.
                  I hope so too, but I gotta feeling Howie is going to reassert himself.

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
                    Sal Palantonio is reporting that Lurie wanted to wrest the personnel chief role from Kelly and Kelly balked. So, Lurie fired him.
                    I doubt that is true, those conversations happen after the season. I believe that Lurie said fuck it, we are not going anywhere with this guy.
                    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                      "I am very happy Kelly is gone at this point. He lost a ton of credability with me when he cut Desean Jackson."

Mike , this was the biggest factor for me too. I said it then and I still say it, you don't just get rid of talent like that ----- without getting equal talent back.

That was just plain stupid!
                      Been in that same boat together, haven't we?

Just saw palantonio asked on sport enter what chips biggest mistake was, and he said dumping Djax.

May not have been the worst personnel decision he made, but it was the first that set the stage for what was to come.

You know, what kills me is that run must of the Reid/mcNabb era, we had the hardest damned time finding a decent set of WRs. We all bitched bout it. Finally, we had found two who were legit in Maclin and Jackson. And we let them go. Add in trading away the most successful RB in our history.....and I hate Chip F-in Kelly!
                      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
                        Whatever. Sal was there-right? I like the theory Juk came up with better. Chip had to eat a lot of humble pie to stay and that's certainly not his MO.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                          I hope so too, but I gotta feeling Howie is going to reassert himself.

This is the only bad news. I think howie is useless.

Comment

[QUOTE=FRESH;278122]Been in that same boat together, haven't we?

Just saw palantonio asked on sport enter what chips biggest mistake was, and he said dumping Djax.

May not have been the worst personnel decision he made, but it was the first that set the stage for what was to come.

You know, what kills me is that run must of the Reid/mcNabb era, we had the hardest damned time finding a decent set of WRs. We all bitched bout it. Finally, we had found two who were legit in Maclin and Jackson. And we let them go. Add in trading away the most successful RB in our history.....and I hate Chip F-in Kelly![/QUOTE]

And I hate the fact that I supported him!!! Idiot!

Comment

Gotta say I'm surprised. I think this is due to several factors. Chip wanted his guys. None of the signings or recent picks are turning out. The team quit on him and he looks like a guy without a plan. Add the scapegoat comments that he isn't GM and he is gone. Not sure which way I'd like to see them go, but we will look a lot different next year. Welcome to the retool and rebuild. Add n the timing of the news conference and this was not planned. Wonder I'd Chip has a landing spot and pushed buttons to go back to College.

Let's pray it looks better than the sixers.

Comment

Don't be so hard on yourself popper. You are a great fan who just really wanted to believe that we got it right.
                                http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Working...
                                X