X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lane Johnson signs new deal

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

Howie working hard.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Lane Johnson in 2014 was rated the 2nd best right tackle in the NFL. Looking at the game grades for 2015, he was consistently one of the best players on the Eagles and consistently graded high. Had to resign him. With all the money spent, I wonder if this makes it less likely we resign Bradford.

Comment

6yrs 63 million 35.5 million in guarantees. 6 million cap hit this year. That is left tackle money. Glad to have him wrapped up. Nice job by Howie
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Lane Johnson says Jason Peters is still one of the NFL's best offensive tackles

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton on Jan 29, 2016, 1:05p 19
        image via PhiladelphiaEagles.com

× Get the latest Philadelphia Eagles news with Bleeding Green Nation

Follow Bleeding Green Nation on Twitter
        Like Bleeding Green Nation Facebook

Lane Johnson's time might have to wait.
         Tweet Share on Twitter Share Share on Facebook (150) Pin Pinterest 19 Comments

Speaking at the Senior Bowl earlier this week, new Eagles head coach Doug Pederson revealed that he wants 34-year-old Jason Peters back for the 2016 NFL season. And maybe even beyond. "I think JP has several years good years left in him," Pederson said.
        Peters may very well be the team's left tackle of the present, but it's clear that Lane Johnson is the franchise's left tackle of the future. The Eagles signed Johnson to a six-year contract reportedly worth up to $63 million. Johnson knows a position change is eventually in store.

"I think moving forward … I think [left tackle] is what they drafted me for," Johnson said in a press conference on Friday. "Obviously, Jason Peters is probably the best tackle of all time, one of them. Him and Walter Jones, in my opinion. Having him here, he’s taught me so much and I’m just going to continue to do that until the time comes."
        Peters' prime is obviously behind him. The 12-year NFL veteran struggled to stay healthy in 2015, which negatively impacted his performance. Despite signs of decline, Johnson insists Peters is still one of the best.
        "I think whenever he’s healthy, I still think he’s probably one of the best — if the not the best — tackles in the league," said Johnson. "Moving forward, all those decisions will be made. For right now, I think he’s good where he’s at."
        Johnson also said that Peters is his friend, so it's not weird how Johnson is viewed by the franchise as Peters' eventual replacement.
        Peters obviously won't be around forever. The Eagles will eventually move Johnson over to the left side. In the meantime, it can't hurt to start planning for Johnson's replacement on the right.

More
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Great news!

Comment

heard somewhere that Lane had guaranteed money on the end of his rookie contract for 2016-2017, that is included in the reported guaranteed money
            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Agent crediting Howie for the pick.

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan View Post
                He was one of the consensus top picks that year -- I'm sure Kelly and Roseman and others were in agreement to pick the one of their top 4 which fell to 4. Although at this point I'm thankful for Miami for trading up to snatch Dion Jordan since that might have been Kelly's preference if both were there.

Johnson had $675,000 guaranteed salary in 2016 plus a $2.4 million roster bonus (last year of the rookie deal), though the cap hit was over 6 million due to prorated signing bonus. I'm also sure the Eagles were just fine with exercising the 5th year option for 2017 (and might have considered the franchise tag for 2018 if it came to that). I'm guessing the 2017 cap hit would be similar to that option amount.

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan View Post
                  I think that's te $63 million he just slid him talking.
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

It is a lot of money and it is probably left tackle money but I hope Peters is able to come back for a reasonable amount--maybe he would take a one or two year contract. It won't be considered left tackle money in a couple for years when new contracts establish new standards and he may very well be the left tackle in two years anyway so I am good with this.
                    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                    Hope is not a strategy
                    RIP

Comment

Working...
                    X