Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doug on QBs

Doug Pederson: Bradford is our starting quarterback

Speaking on the same day the team signed quarterback Chase Daniel to a three-year deal worth up to as much as $36 million, Eagles head coach Doug Pederson made one thing very, very clear, Eliot Shorr-Parks of NJ Advance Media reports.

"Daniel is coming in as a backup," Pederson said. "Coming in as a No. 2"

The statement ended any talk that Daniel might be coming in here to take the starting job from quarterback Sam Bradford, who signed to a two-year deal worth up to $35 million earlier this month.

The big contract created some speculation that Bradford might be on the trading block.

"We are not entertaining offers (for Bradford)," said Pederson.

In addition to speculation the Eagles could trade Bradford, there were also multiple reports that Daniel would be given a chance to compete for the starting job, and that Bradford would have to earn the chance to start.

Something Pederson made very clear wasn't the case.

"Sam Bradford is the No. 1. Chase Daniel is the No. 2," Pederson said. "Then we are working on the No. 3. I want to put that out there right now."
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I heard it during the presser.....and it really surprised me. C'mon with that contract? He may be the #2.....but that price for a guy to just be the backup QB? What other backup QBs get that kind of coin? I mean, its like this guy is backing up Cam Newton here. Its Sam friggin Bradford. Chase is challenging for the starting job.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Bradford's coin is way way bigger. It's a "competition" in that if somehow Daniel looks better than Bradford over a long period of time, sure, you could do it -- but really Bradford is going to get all the #1 reps in the offseason, etc.

Daniel's contract does confuse me, but it looks to be more hedging bets for next year. Something has got to give at that point. If Daniel is the starter next year, the dollars are fine. But if we keep and renegotiate Bradford, we'll need to ditch Daniel.

The only obvious thing from that above statement is that Sanchez is going to be released or traded. That was a no-brainer, but still interesting to hear it that blatantly.

Comment

Daniel's contract is not that much higher than Sanchez. The mkt for QB's is high and that may be where backups fall. Add the injury history to #1 and we may have to pay more until Bradford has a few injury free years. This is just the opposite of what we see with QB's like Peyton, Luck that don't get injured. Do we really think Indy would have gone the direction at #2 if they thought Luck would miss the season?

Comment

Originally posted by kyfred View Post
          Daniel's contract is not that much higher than Sanchez. The mkt for QB's is high and that may be where backups fall. Add the injury history to #1 and we may have to pay more until Bradford has a few injury free years. This is just the opposite of what we see with QB's like Peyton, Luck that don't get injured. Do we really think Indy would have gone the direction at #2 if they thought Luck would miss the season?
          They all get hurt and miss time Fred. I would say only a handful didn't miss games last year.

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
            I heard it during the presser.....and it really surprised me. C'mon with that contract? He may be the #2.....but that price for a guy to just be the backup QB? What other backup QBs get that kind of coin? I mean, its like this guy is backing up Cam Newton here. Its Sam friggin Bradford. Chase is challenging for the starting job.
            It's interesting because Daniel isn't really making that much in 2016 (relative to Bradford). It's in 2017 when things will get very interesting. I can guarantee you that Bradford AND Daniel will not both be on this team in 2017 at the salaries presently on their contracts for next year.

It seems pretty clear that the way the contracts were written, they are giving Bradford 1 year to show he's worth keeping, and if he's not, Bradford goes, and then Daniel's contract for 2017 will make sense (and actually be a bargain for a starting NFL quarterback.)

If Bradford performs well enough in 2016 to want to keep for 2017, then it seems like they would likely ask Daniel to renegotiate his deal in some way. Otherwise the $$$ for both combined in 2017 really are extravagant.

It's all kind of clever actually. Some interesting thinking-ahead on Howie's part.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
              It's interesting because Daniel isn't really making that much in 2016 (relative to Bradford). It's in 2017 when things will get very interesting. I can guarantee you that Bradford AND Daniel will not both be on this team in 2017 at the salaries presently on their contracts for next year.

It seems pretty clear that the way the contracts were written, they are giving Bradford 1 year to show he's worth keeping, and if he's not, Bradford goes, and then Daniel's contract for 2017 will make sense (and actually be a bargain for a starting NFL quarterback.)

If Bradford performs well enough in 2016 to want to keep for 2017, then it seems like they would likely ask Daniel to renegotiate his deal in some way. Otherwise the $$$ for both combined in 2017 really are extravagant.

It's all kind of clever actually. Some interesting thinking-ahead on Howie's part.
              And if they draft their QB of the future they can get out from under these contracts
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

I just hope Sam works out and that's the end of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                  That would be nice. However, I am still not sold that Bradford is even on the roster on opening day. Stay tuned......
                  http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                    They going to take a QB in the draft this year. Sam is here for this year and that is probably it.
                    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                      That would be nice. However, I am still not sold that Bradford is even on the roster on opening day. Stay tuned......
                      Geez Mike, please don't get me started again! And taz, let's just hope Sam's the guy and forget the one and done stuff. With our receiving core it's tough for anybody to prove themselves. Maybe the line will be better at least.

Comment

Popper, it's going to make the next season really I teresting, however it works out. We are either going to see Bradford establish himself as the guy, or a career backup, or possibly a rookie are going to beat him out of a job. If we draft a qb high, Bradford might never take another snap as a Bird.

It's drama.....enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                        X