Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanchez traded to Broncos for 2017 draft pick

Take that Chip. HA HA HA
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

looks like a conditional 7th rounder but by trading him they get an extra million in cap space vs releasing him. While the Daniels deal is the most questionable of the moves so far, this one (by getting an extra mil and a potential pick) helps make it better.

Comment

Sometimes its not about the return. In this case it was not about the return as it was more about clearing the additional dollars off the cap. 4.5 million the way that Howie has operated probably gets us another guard and a WR in free agency.

Comment

Put that money towards extending Cox and it's a win all around!
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
          Put that money towards extending Cox and it's a win all around!
          I am beginning to think they may not extend him at all. DT tend to wear out by the time they are 27-28. I am wondering if they don't let him play under the 8 mill this year and then franchise him next year. Let him go after that.

Comment

They might have recouped that extra $1 million if they released him (I presume they have offset language in Sanchez' contract) but it's better to be 100% sure by trading him. It might also be nice to get something back, but that wasn't the primary goal I'm sure. A conditional 2017 7th round pick probably means nothing -- the condition is probably that Sanchez starts X number of games and they are sure to find another QB by the season.

Comment

I think they let Cox play under the tender and then use the tag next year on Cox if they can't get a long term deal done. By 2018 then the horrendous deals with Maxwell and Murray will be gone plus peters will be off books and Jenkins, MK and Bradfords deals will be gone.

Not fair for Fletcher... Unless he is willing to take a little less. Meaning 6 years $90 million with $60 of that guaranteed. That would be a great deal for both teams and provide him security today. Or he can take $9 in 16 and $17 or $18 via the tag in 17 and hope he stays healthy and dominates and then gets JJ Watt/Suh type of money.
              You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                I think they let Cox play under the tender and then use the tag next year on Cox if they can't get a long term deal done. By 2018 then the horrendous deals with Maxwell and Murray will be gone plus peters will be off books and Jenkins, MK and Bradfords deals will be gone.

Not fair for Fletcher... Unless he is willing to take a little less. Meaning 6 years $90 million with $60 of that guaranteed. That would be a great deal for both teams and provide him security today. Or he can take $9 in 16 and $17 or $18 via the tag in 17 and hope he stays healthy and dominates and then gets JJ Watt/Suh type of money.
                Just my opinion, but I think Fletch should have signed the contract. I'm sure the Birds offered him a big bonus and he would have been set for life.
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                  Take that Chip. HA HA HA
                  Truth be told, Sanchez is better than most backup quarterbacks in the league. He played reasonably well for the Eagles in 2014, though not so well in 2015.

Comment

It's clear that eagles are removing as much of the Chip taint as they can. They want a complete fresh start. I think makes me kind of surprised that the elected to keep,Bradford around, but I have to assume that they simply evaluated him as their only decent option for a QB for the immediate future. Pretty much anyone else has provenot to be disposable.
                    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                      It's clear that eagles are removing as much of the Chip taint as they can. They want a complete fresh start. I think makes me kind of surprised that the elected to keep,Bradford around, but I have to assume that they simply evaluated him as their only decent option for a QB for the immediate future. Pretty much anyone else has provenot to be disposable.
                      I think Doug Pederson merely felt more comfortable with Chase Daniel, a guy he's familiar with, as the backup QB than he did with Mark Sanchez. Unlike some of the other recent moves, I don't think this is a "clean up the Chip Kelly personnel mess" move. Sanchez joined the Eagles before Kelly was given GM control.

BTW, the fact the Eagles were able to get anything (or at least salary relief) for Sanchez after they had already signed new contracts for Bradford and Daniel is remarkable. They had no leverage, and still got a little value for Sanchez. Bravo.

Comment

They got someone to take on the salary but a "conditional" 7th rounder is likely to mean we get nothing in terms of a pick. I am fine with that if that's how it turns out. Just unloading him and his salary is payment enough.
                        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                          I don't think it's that, exactly. We have a new coach, and a new scheme, especially on defense. Those coaches will prefer other players. If you are paying really high money to a player who the new coaches don't absolutely love, they are no longer a great fit -- you need that money to get players the new coaches really do love. And of course, you would rather not have malcontents.

It sounds like Murray found a deal for himself to get out of town, so that was easy. Trading Maxwell -- you can be pretty assured that Schwartz was fine with losing him and Kiko -- was a pretty impressive stroke given the value we got back. Pederson was probably OK with Sanchez but would have clearly preferred Daniel if we could get him, and we probably overspent to make that happen (sort of like Maxwell last year). Once that happened, Sanchez was clearly gone. Daniel only cost an additional 500K on this year's cap; it's next year where that gets... interesting.

Brandon Bair was a 3-4 player, period. But it may be that Schwartz sees a chance for Taylor Hart, so he'll be kept around for preseason (or at least through the draft).

Bradford was probably the most visible Kelly acquisition but the team clearly liked what they saw, so they spent reasonably big to keep him. To me, it's all about the fit in the new systems -- and sometimes about the dollars they are taking up, if that prevents getting better fits in the new system. Most of this is normal turnover when a new coach comes in. Kelly didn't do as much of that as he probably didn't know NFL personnel as well -- several of the free agents we brought in have played for Schwartz before so he knows how they will fit (different version of "his guys", instead of Oregon players). You were probably more hoping Kelly would score in the draft bigtime, replacing players that way, but that didn't happen.

Comment

Working...
                          X