QB wars (Cleveland-Denver)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QB wars (Cleveland-Denver)

Browns willing to give up 3rd round pick for Kaepernick, but trade hinges on contract redo

The Browns are willing to give up their third-round pick for 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, but the trade is contingent on restructuring Kaepernick's $19 million a year contract, sources told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

The 49ers actually want a second-round pick, but might be willing to take the Browns' third considering it's the second pick in that round, No. 65 overall. What's more, Kaepernick wants out, and the Broncos, who were the frontrunners in the sweepstakes on Thursday, are also reluctant to part with a high pick.

Besides, they traded for Eagles quarterback Mark Sanchez on Friday and are prepared to start him in 2016 if need be. They're no longer as desperate as they seemed when trade talks for Kaepernick began.

The Broncos' second-round pick is No. 63 overall, just two notches ahead of the Browns' third-rounder, and they don't want to go that high. Their third-rounder is No. 94 overall, and that might not cut it for the 49ers.

The Broncos sent a conditional 2017 pick to the Eagles on Friday for Sanchez, and like him enough to give it go next year if it comes to that. But general manager John Elway tweeted Friday that they're still looking, saying Sanchez "brings veteran leadership & will compete. This is the 1st step in our process."

The Broncos have also been linked to free agent quarterbacks Ryan Fitzpatrick and Robert Griffin III, and Bucs backup Mike Glennon, a player that ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported last year that Browns owner Jimmy Haslam ''knows he should be considering.''

In regards to Kaepernick's contract, the Browns will likely want to cut his current $19 million a year average by more than half. He signed a six-year extension in 2014 worth $114,000,000, including $61 million guaranteed. If he's on a team's roster on April 1st, his 11.9 million base salary for 2016 will be guaranteed.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Glennon is someone I can't figure out. He was not bad and seemed to play well. I got a feeling the Browns are so desperate they are gonna go get Kap. I could see Denver looking at Glennon or Hoyer. That defense should still be good enough to win 8 games. They need lost a lot and need a good running game, but just need a guy to manage the game

Comment

Watch the Broncos win another title and Sanchez be next year's MVP!!!
      "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

He did go to the AFC championship game, I believe, with a similar defense

Comment

Originally posted by kyfred View Post
          He did go to the AFC championship game, I believe, with a similar defense
          He was pretty good his first two years but then he just fell apart. I always liked him to tell you the truth. He does have some total brain farts every game though!
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
          X