X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few vets missing

Two Eagles players are reportedly missing from voluntary offseason workouts

By Brandon Lee Gowton  @BrandonGowton on Apr 7, 2016, 10:16p 150

The Philadelphia Eagles' offseason workout schedule began earlier this week on Monday. The good news is that 69 out of 71 players currently under contract showed up for voluntary workouts. Nice. The "bad" news is that two players didn't. According to Howard Eskin, both Jason Peters and Fletcher Cox did not show up this week.

This is hardly the biggest deal in the world, which is why I used quotes around the "bad" in bad news. These workouts are not mandatory so the players are doing nothing wrong by not showing up. It's not like they're missing critical practice time, either. The Eagles are in Phase One of the offseason workout schedule, which is mostly limited to strength and conditioning stuff.

It's worth noting that the Eagles' workout program began earlier than usual this offseason. The new head coaching hire of Doug Pederson allows Philadelphia to get a two week head start before other teams open workouts. Last year when the Eagles still had Chip Kelly the program began on April 20. It's possible the early start is related to the absence of these two players.

The next date of interest for the Eagles this offseason is when their pre-draft voluntary minicamp begins on April 19. It'll be interesting to see if Cox and Peters are back by then. If they're not, it still won't be a big deal, but it's at least worth keeping an eye on.

UPDATE: Make it three players who didn't show up. Darren Sproles isn't there either, per source. Jimmy Kempski is reporting the same thing.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Cut Sproles.
    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
      Cut Sproles.
      Why ? Best return man in the game the past 2 seasons. If you have a good O and a decent D , that 14ish yard PR is massive in a teams success.
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Yeah, Peters is showing more signs of wearing out than Sproles at this point.
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

They are voluntary and they are two weeks ahead of other teams because of the new staff. I don't think those three are in jeopardy of losing their roster spot and they are veteran enough to know what they need to do to be ready for camp.
          If I am the birds I make a cursory call to see if all is okay but otherwise I am not worried.
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Yeah, I almost didn't bother posting this because it's a non issue. Dirty Dougie's problems are more relevant though. Then again, what can Jeffie say about it as he just went through the same thing? Tough way to start your new career though.
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
            X